Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike test next week. Your advice ....

• 16-05-2013 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, middle aged, doing my bike test 2 weeks time in tallaght.

Have all the boxes ticked re paper work/ courses done upto lvl 5. Instructor says I'm good to go but there's always something that can catch you out.

Doing a Pre test next week.

I have sweated my nuts off in preparation, blue in the face riding around tallaght sussing out roads/threats etc....but please give me any extra tips re what to look out for, any nuances / quirks they love to see, recent experience from test or even retired examiners might have words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Keep keep keep looking over your shoulder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Relax, all the preparation will do you good!

Foot down at all Stop signs/lines.

Life savers when you start the U-Turn, as you move out in the Emergency Swerve ( indicate too I think, but ask in the pretest), as you brake in the Emergency Brake.

Edit: Don't forget to check your mirrors too on the brake test, they'll look for that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

From my pre-test, I was brought to a junction that had neither stop or yield signs but had a poor line of sight. I cruised through, was pointed out I should have at least paused to look. Good advice in general. Just make sure you can see what's coming.

Did my test last year, before the new module, how has the test changed?

Shane, The

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Make sure you do the route at the time of your test....I nearly got caught out when I did mine it was "school time" soccer moms everywhere and they are lethal!!!!

Get all your gear on you "before" you get on the bike, and do not wait for the tester (if in a car) during the test. As in if he tells you to turn @ a junction and he is two cars back dont wait for a gap in traffic, you will be done for lack of progress. If you are too far ahead he will tell you to pull in so lifesavers pulling in and pulling out again.

The Shane wrote: »
    From my pre-test, I was brought to a junction that had neither stop or yield signs but had a poor line of sight. I cruised through, was pointed out I should have at least paused to look. Good advice in general. Just make sure you can see what's coming.

Did my test last year, before the new module, how has the test changed?

Shane, The

If in doubt stop. You will not be failed/marked down for stopping, but you will if you DONT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if you are using your own bike, make sure its clean and in good working order and all the lights are working...Turn up a bit early, try to relax its nothing difficult, you just have to prove you can ride safely for the 40 mins its going to take, oh and lifesavers, dont forget them...other than that just do what you normally do and you will be fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Reasons for failure are mostly :

OBSERVATIONS
    Reaction to hazards,
    Road/lane position,
    lack of progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Thanks folks, I really appreciate your comments. I just want to get on with it and do the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

I did my test in Tallaght a few months ago, see this thread that I created back when I was doing it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056889332

I also put up the route map for the test, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I have my test in two weeks too but out in Finglas.

I'm not the type to get anxious but decided to dig around the forum for topics. Hahaha, all I'll say is that ignorance is bliss!

Some of the advice goes against everything I would have thought of!
    • Go 51-55 in a 50kph to show progression
    • Left turn lifesaver for Finglas only when bus or cycle lane
    • Checking mirrors before an emergency stop
    Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic but some of this catches me off guard and seems against instinct for test environment.

Will be an intensive pretest with me drilling out the questions!!!

• Advertisement

Well I know from experience that going a tad faster is not a problem and is better IMHO then going slower, 55 in a 50 is fine (again was told by a tester). I had two 80klm zones in my test in Meath which is unusual and I went the 85 (digital clocks I have) in both and I passed my test no probs (No marks at all)

Of course all testers will be different...another good tip is to just flash the brake light going from a faster zone to a slower zone, rather then just rolling off. It lets the tester know you are actually observing the transition.

As for the lifesavers, its got nothing to do with the position on the road. If you are changing direction FOR WHATEVER REASON do a lifesaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

all of the above and...

RELAX,

remember, its only a driving test. worst case scenario, you do it again. Its not the end of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Also, if you think you've made a mistake/fecked up keep going, don't give up. You might only get a mark against you and still pass if you kep the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

turn up covered in pigs blood
    thats what we used to do
    no-one ever failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If you get nervous or are nervous about the turnabout, putting your foot down as part of a controlled manoeuvre, only gets a minor fault. Going a little faster than the speed limits is a good idea as mentioned. Having neat, good quality gear, a neat and clean tabard of shame, and a clean bike seems to put the tester in a good mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Just wondering, did everyone here who's done their test not wear full gear, such as a pair of jeans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Just wondering, did everyone here who's done their test not wear full gear, such as a pair of jeans?

I wore a bike trousers of some sort. The more gear the better, I think, in respect of the tester's mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wheelies, everyone loves wheelies ~ share your gift with the world :p

And best of luck OP, its been over 25yrs since I done mine but I'm sure I was as nervous.

Hope you pass/passed?.

A burnout pre test in the carpark is a great way to get enough grip for the test itself.....and show the tester you have a great understanding of both throttle and clutch control :pac::pac:

Advertisement