Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Property- A year and a day

• 16-05-2013 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if you can shed some light on the rules and regulations around finding lost property.

I found a wedding ring last year and handed it into the Garda station. I subsequently posted the found item on 5 different lost and found sites. No one came forward. At the time the Garda told me I could claim the ring a year and a day after handing it in if it wasn't claimed.

Last night I went to collect the ring and was told it was sent to auction in January, 8 months after I handed it in. The Garda told me he was sorry but they just don't hold on to items like that anymore.

Is the year and a day rule written into law somewhere or is it just a rule made up as common courtesy? I know theres nothing I can do about it now, but I'm just curious as to when things changed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

This is purely academic, but there was a similar situation in the UK in Parker v British Airways: man found bracelet in airport, dropped it into a BA desk making it clear that he wanted it if it wasn't claimed, leaving his contact info, the court held that he had the superior claim to BA and they were wrong to have sold it.

Not sure what he law regarding chattels is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

8 months doesn't sound right to me, year and a day rule I have heard before but I don't know it's basis. I'd contact the supt for that garda stations district in writing and ask him or her to clarify the situation. I wouldn't be satisfied with an apology from the garda.

Depending on the reply from the supt consider taking the matter up with the GSOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Afaik it was reduced to 6 weeks for a time recently. There was an issue though so it was put back to a year and a day!

Advertisement