Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which hospital?

• 16-05-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I live in Ireland but am from Northern Ireland originally, and all my family are still there.

I'm considering going back North to have the baby as I had my first in an Irish hospital and found the whole experience awful. That's not to say its any better up north, I don't really know as I don't know anyone who has given birth there, but I'm really scared of going back into the particular hospital here and having a repeat of labour / birth number 1.

The hospital at home looks much much better (on paper) than the hospital here, much more modern & up to date with much better facilities (birthing pools in all labour rooms and things like that, and all the beds are in 1 or 2 bed rooms.)

We have no one here that could mind our first when I'm in hospital, and at home we would, so that is a consideration, but also I'd prefer to get back to normal as soon as possible which would be easier if I just stayed here.

How soon realistically could I hope to come back here? (It's a four hour drive from the North to where I live - how soon can I do that with a newborn? Also, what implications does that have for me, & the baby, for postnatal checkups etc?)

Also, it will mean that the baby would have to be registered up north, so how will that impact on getting a PPS number and child benefit when I do come back down here? My contact at work ends in a few weeks and I am entitled to statutory maternity pay - will going up north affect this (even if its only for 6 or so weeks?)

If I stay here I will probably have to go into hospital on my own and go through labour & birth on my own as there really is no one to mind our toddler. Added to the fact that I'm already really stressed at the thought of going back into that hospital and having a repeat of the awful time I had with my first, and the thought of doing it on my own is already bringing me to tears. But the hassle of going up home is weighing on my mind too, but at least there we would have some help from family.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it all makes sense. I'm already 6 mths gone, my hormones are all over the place and am getting really stressed about the whole thing. I need to make a decision in the next week or two about what I'm going to do - and if I decide to go home I'll have to effectively move in with my parents and my husband will travel up and down at weekends.

Any advice will be most appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone that I know that has been through both has said there is no comparison between them and the whole experience is better up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Anyone that I know that has been through both has said there is no comparison between them and the whole experience is better up north.

Interesting to hear that - I don't know anyone who has had babies here and up north so have no idea.

I still don't know what to do :( the PPS/child benefit/maternity benefit implications are worrying me.

Advertisement