Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work hard to come by :/

Options
  • 16-05-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

My friend and I are in WA for a few months now and are finding it very hard to get work of any kind unfortunately. Our experience is mostly in hospitality and retail. Weve tried the obvious options of seek, gumtree and job shop but weve had no luck other than 100% commission based sales jobs :/ Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what to try, were beginning to get desperate :/ Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crikey1234

What part of WA are you in OP? If it's Perth I'd recommend moving further out to a smaller town. You would probably find it a lot easier to find hospitality work in the more rural parts (pub or B&B work for example)
    Also the supermarkets and fast food outlets would probably have more work available than in the cities. Only disadvantage is that you won't have the social life that you get in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

crikey1234 wrote: »
    What part of WA are you in OP? If it's Perth I'd recommend moving further out to a smaller town. You would probably find it a lot easier to find hospitality work in the more rural parts (pub or B&B work for example)
    Also the supermarkets and fast food outlets would probably have more work available than in the cities. Only disadvantage is that you won't have the social life that you get in the city!

Hi crikey, thx for your post. Im in leederville at the minute but will be relocating to joondalup soon temporarily. Social life is not high on the agenda at the moment, work comes first haha

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Any joy getting work yet. 7 of us staying in a house only two working. Casme back from regional. Work has dried up in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

Any joy getting work yet. 7 of us staying in a house only two working. Casme back from regional. Work has dried up in Perth.

My friend got some casual work but its only a handful of hours, ive have an interview tomorrow for a sales rep job :/ not great but at this stage ill take it. Regional work is completely off the agenda till about july id say

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Take anything you can get man. Its very tough finding something..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishDownUnder

Listen and watch news here in Oz looks like a lot of jobs are being lost . So Aussies are taking any job that is going even the ones they wouldn't have before . Looks like it's going to be harder to find jobs while on a WHV .

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I'd say its more that visa that's the issue here. It's a bit of a **** around for an employer to hire someone when there are strings attached. The major one being the 6 month stipulation. Unemployment in Australia is trending towards 6%. Business are nervous right now because of the small budget surplus projected by the government but this is projected to get better in 2014. So it's reasonable to assume that employers are cost cutting and looking to employ longer term assets that they can train and develop, even for low paid manual jobs. The kind of jobs that have been the bread and butter for people on a WHV.

So the job market is more competitive that it has been before, but that doesn't mean that there are no jobs to be had, it just means they maybe out of your reach.

You guys and gals be sure to check out Irish job websites such as Fas etc etc. There may not be many jobs in Australia on these websites but there are some.

Good luck with the book

Advertisement