Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant helpdesk

Options
  • 16-05-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Just rang the SUSI helpdesk to ask a few questions about what documents I will need for when the application process starts and the guy I was speaking to was the most unhelpful f***er!! Everytime I asked a question he would pause for about 30 seconds and respond with something completely unhelpful!! I'm completely freaking now aswell...basically I did a 2 year part time adult education diploma (started in Oct 2011) and am just finished...I want to apply a s a mature independent for this Sept coming and he told me that I have to have proof of living independently from the year previous to when I started that course...which is October 2010!? Surely that cant be relevant? It was 3 years ago! I paid for the course myself, didn't get any assistance.... Does anybody know anything about this sort of thing? I'd love some help!! :):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Just rang the SUSI helpdesk to ask a few questions about what documents I will need for when the application process starts and the guy I was speaking to was the most unhelpful f***er!! Everytime I asked a question he would pause for about 30 seconds and respond with something completely unhelpful!! I'm completely freaking now aswell...basically I did a 2 year part time adult education diploma (started in Oct 2011) and am just finished...I want to apply a s a mature independent for this Sept coming and he told me that I have to have proof of living independently from the year previous to when I started that course...which is October 2010!? Surely that cant be relevant? It was 3 years ago! I paid for the course myself, didn't get any assistance.... Does anybody know anything about this sort of thing? I'd love some help!!

Hi Lipstik.Junky,

Unfortunately we can’t advise what documents you will need as we don’t know what the assessors will require. They will firstly need to assess your application in order to compile a checklist.

I understand your need to have the documents prepared but until a checklist is created we won’t know what is needed. The best way to find out what is needed is to apply. The application will be opening shortly and you can apply through the following link: https://www.grantsonline.ie/

Also in order to apply as a mature independent you need to be over 23 before January 1st of this year. The course must also be a full time course in an approved public college.

If you have any other queries please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can use the list of what was asked for in 2012 as a guideline and obviously as the SUSI : reps say this will probably be updated and changed 2013/2014

Read through Schedule 5 in this document for the 2012 list of documentary evidence. It will probably be changed though.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lipstik.Junky

SuSi: Reps wrote: »

Hi Lipstik.Junky,

Unfortunately we can’t advise what documents you will need as we don’t know what the assessors will require. They will firstly need to assess your application in order to compile a checklist.

I understand your need to have the documents prepared but until a checklist is created we won’t know what is needed. The best way to find out what is needed is to apply. The application will be opening shortly and you can apply through the following link: https://www.grantsonline.ie/

Also in order to apply as a mature independent you need to be over 23 before January 1st of this year. The course must also be a full time course in an approved public college.

If you have any other queries please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi Aoife,

Thanks for getting back to me...I understand that about the documents but is it true that i will need to prove independent living since October 2010 if I attended a part time course in 2012? the course was not Fetac and I paid for it privately (It was an adult education course) I would have assumed I would be assessed on 2012 if I plan to go back to full time education in 2013?

I Appreciate your help!

Just rang the SUSI helpdesk to ask a few questions about what documents I will need for when the application process starts and the guy I was speaking to was the most unhelpful f***er!! Everytime I asked a question he would pause for about 30 seconds and respond with something completely unhelpful!! I'm completely freaking now aswell...basically I did a 2 year part time adult education diploma (started in Oct 2011) and am just finished...I want to apply a s a mature independent for this Sept coming and he told me that I have to have proof of living independently from the year previous to when I started that course...which is October 2010!? Surely that cant be relevant? It was 3 years ago! I paid for the course myself, didn't get any assistance.... Does anybody know anything about this sort of thing? I'd love some help!! :):)

Yes and No - This is quite a technical issue that is difficult to explain

Under existing rules (and rules change every single year so he may be technically correct but this could be subject to change)

Classes of applicant
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.
    (2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved
    post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply for the duration of their studies.
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did
    not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October
    of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved course.
    (4) “Mature student” means a student who on 1 January—
    (a) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved post leaving
    certificate course;
    (b) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved higher education
    course (other than a course known for the time being as a post leaving
    certificate course); or
    (c) in the year of re-entry to an approved course,
    is at least 23 years old.
    (5) “Re-entry”, for the purposes of this Scheme, means a mature student
    entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years,
    having previously attended an approved course.

What this means is

If you entered in 2010 as an applicant dependent on your parents and you graduated in 2012 then you might have to take a 3 year break before you can change the class of your application from "dependent" to "independent mature"

However it is very arguable how this is worded is that if your course was part time then it was not an "approved course" therefore technically 2013 is your point of entry

Essentially this will come down to - when is your point of entry - Is it 2011 or 2013

If they insist that it is 2011 (and that will depend on the wording of the STATUTORY INSTRUMENT for the STUDENT GRANT SCHEME 2013) then 2013 is the point of reentry and you would be assessed based on your parents income if that is where you were living in 2011 or you were under 23 in 2011

If it is 2013 then you have a better chance

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lipstik.Junky

Yes and No - This is quite a technical issue that is difficult to explain

Under existing rules (and rules change every single year so he may be technically correct but this could be subject to change)

What this means is

If you entered in 2010 as an applicant dependent on your parents and you graduated in 2012 then you might have to take a 3 year break before you can change the class of your application from "dependent" to "independent mature"

However it is very arguable how this is worded is that if your course was part time then it was not an "approved course" therefore technically 2013 is your point of entry

Essentially this will come down to - when is your point of entry - Is it 2011 or 2013

If they insist that it is 2011 (and that will depend on the wording of the STATUTORY INSTRUMENT for the STUDENT GRANT SCHEME 2013) then 2013 is the point of reentry and you would be assessed based on your parents income if that is where you were living in 2011 or you were under 23 in 2011

If it is 2013 then you have a better chance

Mango salsa thanks a million :). that clears it up quite a bit! How do I find out if the course was approved or not? I don't think it was but I'll check to be sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi

Just a question on SUSI . I am a mature student, i go the fees paid last year and the back to education allowance. I got a letter today and complete a form for continuing the same course, When i went to log on the web page was not open. What do i do?
    What documents do i need? Closing date is june 14th . which is not far away if i need additional documents

worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi

Just a question on SUSI . I am a mature student, i go the fees paid last year and the back to education allowance. I got a letter today and complete a form for continuing the same course, When i went to log on the web page was not open. What do i do?
    What documents do i need? Closing date is june 14th . which is not far away if i need additional documents

worried

Got the same letter. You only have to have your renewal request submitted by the 14th, not mention of other documents. Just give it a few days and see if the page opens. You've a month to do it yet.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Got the same letter. You only have to have your renewal request submitted by the 14th, not mention of other documents. Just give it a few days and see if the page opens. You've a month to do it yet.

Hi

worried

Hi,

The system will be opening shortly and you can renew your application. It is only the renewal that has to be completed by the specified date. This does not include sending in documents.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Mango salsa thanks a million :). that clears it up quite a bit! How do I find out if the course was approved or not? I don't think it was but I'll check to be sure!

If it's a part time course then it isn't really an approved course. It's arguable though.

www.education.ie/en/Learners/Information/Student-Grants/FAQs.html

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

was already on the last page of the application when I remembered my son applied for the HEAR Scheme, and Section C part 2, where it asked about any other applications for funding/financial support. I wasn't sure it this was what they were asking, so I rang them.
    the person I spoke to(who answered very quickly I was impressed!) said to go ahead and submit the form and go back in to add it. I pointed out that the message coming up, said that once submitted you can only change personal details, he said it would be fine, to go and add it in afterwards....low and behold the little message was right and I can only change personal details!!! will this be a problem for the application?
    I am going to email them now, but wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. he may not even get the other HEAR thing but I don't want them thinking I didn't give all the info etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

Hi

Just wondering do days on Back to Education count when adding up the amount of days you were on a welfare payment?

Because you have to have 391 days on a welfare payment to qualify for full fees payment if a mature independent student.

Can SUSI: Reps please help me in answering this?

Hi Katie,

Yes, Back to Education counts as a Welfare payment. The 391 day rule applies to being eligible for the special rate of the grant. It is not specific to mature independent students.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Aoife@Susi rep, could you answer this for me?
    was already on the last page of the application when I remembered my son applied for the HEAR Scheme, and Section C part 2, where it asked about any other applications for funding/financial support. I wasn't sure it this was what they were asking, so I rang them.
    the person I spoke to(who answered very quickly I was impressed!) said to go ahead and submit the form and go back in to add it. I pointed out that the message coming up, said that once submitted you can only change personal details, he said it would be fine, to go and add it in afterwards....low and behold the little message was right and I can only change personal details!!! will this be a problem for the application?
    I am going to email them now, but wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. he may not even get the other HEAR thing but I don't want them thinking I didn't give all the info etc.

Hi GalwayGirl00,

You should have entered that detail before submitting, as the computer message said you can only change personal details after. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I would advise you email support@susi.cdvec.ie and explain what has happened. Also include that he is only applying for this scheme and has not been approved as of yet.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

hi, i attempted a degree as a mature student '03-'04 but had to leave in january after just the first term. following which i received the first payment of a grant. i am applying again now, nearly a decade later and have been receiving conflicting advice on how to apply. i have been told that as 5 years have passed and i only recieved a partial payment that i dont even need to mention my previous attendance in my new application. i have also been advised that i should declare everything and that i would be considered as a second chance student? and i have also been advised that if i declare it i will not receive a grant now. any and all info on this matter would be gratefully received, please advise!
    thank you

Hi GalwayGirl00,

You should have entered that detail before submitting, as the computer message said you can only change personal details after. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I would advise you email support@susi.cdvec.ie and explain what has happened. Also include that he is only applying for this scheme and has not been approved as of yet.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi Aoife, the reason I rang was because I saw the message about only being able to change the personal details. However I was assured by a person on the helpdesk that it would be ok to submit if I went straight back in. I have emailed them as you suggested. Thanks for your response.

Hi SUSI: Reps

What is the usual turnaround time for emails send to support@susi.cdvec.ie?

Hi SUSI: Reps

What is the usual turnaround time for emails send to support@susi.cdvec.ie?[/QUOTE]

Hi Katie,

The turnaround time is hopefully with 24 hours. It will also depend on how busy the email inbox is.

If you would like to mail your details I will check that the email was received and action it for you if possible.

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

LaLacuna wrote: »
    hi, i attempted a degree as a mature student '03-'04 but had to leave in january after just the first term. following which i received the first payment of a grant. i am applying again now, nearly a decade later and have been receiving conflicting advice on how to apply. i have been told that as 5 years have passed and i only recieved a partial payment that i dont even need to mention my previous attendance in my new application. i have also been advised that i should declare everything and that i would be considered as a second chance student? and i have also been advised that if i declare it i will not receive a grant now. any and all info on this matter would be gratefully received, please advise!
    LaLacuna wrote: »
    thank you

Hi LaLacuna,

You have been receiving conflicting advice.

The 5 year rule is as follows: If you don't receive any award and leave the course, you have to wait 5 years and then you are eligible to re-apply again.

The fact that you received funding is not an issue. You will be assessed as a new applicant. You also have to declare everything in your application about your previous education.

I hope this clears the matter up for you. If you do have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ecoco85

seriously, have susi deliberately made this process so flaming annoying, tedious and painful in the hopes that people will give up half way through and they won't have to process another application????? believe me I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. Trying to save my application half way through because I have to go searching for a P60 and it won't let me save it and it keeps saying "blind pension is a mandatory field". WTF????? this process is stressful enough without having to deal with an incompetent website also. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. rant over!

• Advertisement

Ecoco85 wrote: »
    seriously, have susi deliberately made this process so flaming annoying, tedious and painful in the hopes that people will give up half way through and they won't have to process another application????? believe me I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. Trying to save my application half way through because I have to go searching for a P60 and it won't let me save it and it keeps saying "blind pension is a mandatory field". WTF????? this process is stressful enough without having to deal with an incompetent website also. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. rant over!
    Is that on the SW payment screen? You have to answer yes/no to all of them or it won't let you do anything else. It is a seriously frustrating website and they seem to ask the same question three different ways!! I feel your pain, but stick at it :)

Hi Ecoco85,

If the system won't let you move past the blind pension field then just enter 0 into the box. This should resolve that issue for you.

If you have any questions you would like help please don't hesitate to ask. I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Susi Reps...How long should it take between submitting the application and receiving the letter stating what documents we need? Thanks in advance :)

Hi GalwayGirl00,

Unfortunately we can't advise on this as every assessment will be different for each applicant. The system has been modified to help speed the process so it won't be too long of a wait.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi SuSi: Reps

I understand that you need 391 days on a social welfare payment before 31/12/12 to qualify for full fees payment, I am just wondering is this affected if I come off social welfare for the summer of 2013? I am reapplying to have my full fees paid for the coming college year 2013/2014 as I now have over 391 days on a social welfare payment up to 31/12/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Hello Susi Reps,
    Last year I applied for a grant and was turned down as I was living at home and my parents paid my reg fees.(both parents are PAYE workers). I will be progressing into 2nd yr of an undergraduate degree programme this year and wonder is there any sense of me applying for a grant again.I'm not living at home now.I do not have any P60 or anything such like as I've had no work.I do not want to go through the whole process and waste my time if the answer is no
    .Some of my college mates got grants last year and surprise ,surprise their families are business owners!!! How did this happen?

Hi Katie Kaboom,

The 391 day rule is only applicable to Jobseekers Allowance and Benefit payments. For all other Social Welfare payments you just need to have been receiving it during the financial year we base the assessment on.

Hi Ethical,

A student must continue through the system under the same status he entered. Unfortunately if you were to re-apply this year you would have to apply as a dependent again. The only way to find out if you are entitled to a grant is to apply.

I hope this information helps. The option to private mail me is also available.

Kind regards
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi SuSi: Reps

I understand that you need 391 days on a social welfare payment before 31/12/12 to qualify for full fees payment, I am just wondering is this affected if I come off social welfare for the summer of 2013? I am reapplying to have my full fees paid for the coming college year 2013/2014 as I now have over 391 days on a social welfare payment up to 31/12/12.

Hi Katie

The 391 days is in relation to BTEA not the grant - as far as I know you can work during the Summer and go back onto BTEA - I think you can earn 3800 during the summer and retain the grant for fees.
    Holiday Earnings:
    A deduction of up to a maximum amount of €3,809 may be applied to student
    earnings outside of term time but within the reference period.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The qualifying period for BTEA for third level is 234 signing days not counting Sundays, roughly 9 months.

• Advertisement

"
    Hi Katie Kaboom,

The 391 day rule is only applicable to Jobseekers Allowance and Benefit payments. For all other Social Welfare payments you just need to have been receiving it during the financial year we base the assessment on."

Thanks, so I just want to clarify, I have received Jobseekers Benefit then Jobseekers Allowance then Back to Education for over 391 days up until 31/12/12 does this mean I should qualify for the special rate of grant?

I am currently getting Jobseekers Allowance for the summer and I'm looking for a job, if I do get a job and come off Jobseekers Allowance would that stop me from getting the special rate of grant for the coming college year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement