Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant helpdesk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

Hello!

I haven't submitted my application just yet as I had a problem with one of the sections.
    In section F reckonable income it asks the question "Did you receive any social welfare payments in 2012 other than child benefit?" I recieved Jobseeker's Allowance so I select that. Now here is my problem-

It asks me what rate I was getting and for how many weeks and then goes to calculate the money I got.
    But I was working casually for a lot of the time and therefore got a different rate almost every week depending whether I work or not. There is no way to put this on the form.

I rang the helpline and asked the girl and she advised me to just guess roughly and to put in a note and that it would be fine like that?!

It seems very vague, is tht what I should do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Thanks, so I just want to clarify, I have received Jobseekers Benefit then Jobseekers Allowance then Back to Education for over 391 days up until 31/12/12 does this mean I should qualify for the special rate of grant?

I am currently getting Jobseekers Allowance for the summer and I'm looking for a job, if I do get a job and come off Jobseekers Allowance would that stop me from getting the special rate of grant for the coming college year?[/QUOTE]

Hi Katie Kaboom,

As long as you have been on those payments for 391 day on the 31/12/2012 and your income is under €22,703, you should qualify for the special rate.

If you do come off the payments for the summer then this would not qualify you for the special rate, as you would not be receiving the payments for 391 days on the 31/12/2013.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

sunflowa wrote: »
    Hello!

I haven't submitted my application just yet as I had a problem with one of the sections.
    In section F reckonable income it asks the question "Did you receive any social welfare payments in 2012 other than child benefit?" I recieved Jobseeker's Allowance so I select that. Now here is my problem-

It asks me what rate I was getting and for how many weeks and then goes to calculate the money I got.
    But I was working casually for a lot of the time and therefore got a different rate almost every week depending whether I work or not. There is no way to put this on the form.

I rang the helpline and asked the girl and she advised me to just guess roughly and to put in a note and that it would be fine like that?!

Hi Sunflowa,

The advice you received is correct. If you just put the average weekly figure on the page and then explain in the additional notes what you have done.

When we receive the documents for evidence of these payments, we will then have the confirmation of what you have put on the application form.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

Hello!

Hi Sunflowa, i would recommend that you ring (or even better call in to) the social welfare office and ask them for a written statement of the total amount you received in 2012 and to include the number of weeks you recieved a payment. then it's a simple matter of dividing one by the other for the susi application ( ps. if they can only give you the dates received, it's very easy to just count the weeks on a calender from there)

that way susi recieves the correct total and period of claim, and you will have the documents required to verify this. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

SuSi: Reps wrote: »
    Thanks, so I just want to clarify, I have received Jobseekers Benefit then Jobseekers Allowance then Back to Education for over 391 days up until 31/12/12 does this mean I should qualify for the special rate of grant?

I am currently getting Jobseekers Allowance for the summer and I'm looking for a job, if I do get a job and come off Jobseekers Allowance would that stop me from getting the special rate of grant for the coming college year?

Hi Katie Kaboom,

As long as you have been on those payments for 391 day on the 31/12/2012 and your income is under €22,703, you should qualify for the special rate.

If you do come off the payments for the summer then this would not qualify you for the special rate, as you would not be receiving the payments for 391 days on the 31/12/2013.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi again

last time I bother you I hope! I was just onto someone in the SUSI helpdesk and they said as next year is my last year in college I would be fine to come off social welfare and work fulltime this summer and this will not affect my application to have my full fees paid for my final college year 2013/2014 as I have fulfilled the requirement of having over 391 days on a social welfare payment up to the date 31/12/2012.

Is this information correct? Can I come off social welfare this summer and still qualify for the special rate of grant in the coming college year as it is my last year and I will not applying for college year 2014/2015?

• Advertisement

Hi Katie Kaboom,

As you were receiving BTEA this will suffice, it is only Job Seekers Allowance/Benefit that you need to receive for 391 days on 31/12/2012.

Also working this summer will not affect your grant as it is based on the financial year 2012.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi Katie Kaboom,

As you were receiving BTEA this will suffice, it is only Job Seekers Allowance/Benefit that you need to receive for 391 days on 31/12/2012.

Also working this summer will not affect your grant as it is based on the financial year 2012.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

I have over 391 days because I have added my days on job seekers benefit, jobseekers allowance and BTEA is this correct to do? because I wouldn't have enough days if it's only jobseekers benefit and jobseekers allowance that SUSI counts.

Hi Katie Kaboom,

The 391 days only applies to Jobseekers Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance. As you were on BTEA in 2012 then this will suffice for your payment to be eligible for the special rate of the grant.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Great thanks so much Aoife :)

You're very welcome Katie.

Please let me know if you need help with anything else going forward.

All the best,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Hi Aoife @susireps

I am applying this year as a mature student. I was previously in college before but dropped out in third year due too an illness. Now i know that in order to receive free fees again i have to wait 5 years. However, on the student finance website it does say that if you are progressing you can get free fees. I did a level 7 and the course i hope to start in Sept is a level 8. Am i eligible or will i have to pay fees?

Thanks!

Hi Grinchy88,

Thank you for your query.

Unfortunately as you did not complete the level 7 course this is not considered as progression. You will have to complete three years of the level 8 before being eligible for the grant again. Or wait until there has been a five year gap and apply then.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Hi Grinchy88,

Thank you for your query.

Unfortunately as you did not complete the level 7 course this is not considered as progression. You will have to complete three years of the level 8 before being eligible for the grant again. Or wait until there has been a five year gap and apply then.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Thanks Aoife! So basically if i held a level 7 degree now i would be eligible for free fees this year to do a level 8?

Also my 5 yrs are up next year so if i paid my fees for first year would i be able to get free fees for my second year on wards?

Hi Grinchy88,

That is correct! If you had completed the level 7 then you would be progressing. Also you would not qualify for the fees in second year as you need to have five years between leaving education and going back in to it.

I hope this helps. :)

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MintyBear

Hi Aoife

I've just received my request for documents and it lists a P21 form for me and my partner. However, the UK tax system doesn't have this form so I've no clue what I'm supposed to do here? I have a PPS and house in Donegal but neither of us have ever worked in the south.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't want my application to be delayed because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

How long does it take to hear back after applying for a grant? I applied a few weeks ago and got an email saying I would recieve a letter.

Hi MintyBear,

The P21 is a summary of your income for the year you will need to get the equivalent of this from your local tax office. Include a cover note explaining that as you don't work in the south you don't have a P21 but are providing the UK equivalent.

Please let me know if I can help you further. :)

Hi Gline,

If you would like to private mail me your details I can review your application and give you a status update. I will need the following information to view your application.

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regard,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi MintyBear,

The P21 is a summary of your income for the year you will need to get the equivalent of this from your local tax office. Include a cover note explaining that as you don't work in the south you don't have a P21 but are providing the UK equivalent.

Please let me know if I can help you further. :)

Hi Gline,

If you would like to private mail me your details I can review your application and give you a status update. I will need the following information to view your application.

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regard,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3 osinachi1000

Hello i have a quick question i came to ireland in june 2010 and have a stamp 4, june this year will make it 3 years in ireland, and i just apply for a grant for 2013/2014. please i would like to know if i will i be eligible for the grant as they need a letter to prove my residence

"If you are a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and Equality confirming the period of your lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful presence will not be considered."

Who will i contact for this letter...is it the immigration office in portlaoise or who?

Thanks

Do you know how long it takes to show up on my account when the documents are recieved? I posted them last week around thurs/friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hello i have a quick question i came to ireland in june 2010 and have a stamp 4, june this year will make it 3 years in ireland, and i just apply for a grant for 2013/2014. please i would like to know if i will i be eligible for the grant as they need a letter to prove my residence

"If you are a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and Equality confirming the period of your lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful presence will not be considered."

Who will i contact for this letter...is it the immigration office in portlaoise or who?

Thanks

I'm not sure - contact SUSI themselves - they are no longer answering queries here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gline wrote: »
    Do you know how long it takes to show up on my account when the documents are recieved? I posted them last week around thurs/friday.

I don't know - Id say dont worry about for a few weeks. SUSI are getting thousands of documents at the moment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kmp1

Hi, I am currently finishing my 3rd year in level 7 for ordinary bachelor's degree in Business and Information Technology.

I hear that if you keep going up you are eligable to get the grant but not if you redo a level 7 course. In DkIT where I study from I travel in from Dublin, costing €16 per day to drive up = get through €4 toll + €2 parking per day + €10 per day petroleum. Its costing a good bit for just getting there. I think I would need to get the grant for the problem I have.

I am switching to a pure IT course as my results will prove with High 90's in those subjects but as I might not be able to get into level 8 if I have not got the level 7 in that field. If I have to do another level 7 year and get my second degree in computing with networking, I would have to pay for this year? Then when I do level 8 honours in this course of study, that would then be paid for by SUSI?

I am waiting to see if I can get into level 8, I will know from the department head of that school in two weeks time. I will have to do extra work over summer to get up to speed before it starts in September if I hopefully get in with a current GPA of 77.3%, its good but not great to be honest, so I would like to know.

Basically, will doing level 7 year 3 again next year be paid?
    Also would level 8 be paid regardless of this switch as I have never done a level 8 before?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

kmp1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently finishing my 3rd year in level 7 for ordinary bachelor's degree in Business and Information Technology.

I hear that if you keep going up you are eligable to get the grant but not if you redo a level 7 course. In DkIT where I study from I travel in from Dublin, costing €16 per day to drive up = get through €4 toll + €2 parking per day + €10 per day petroleum. Its costing a good bit for just getting there. I think I would need to get the grant for the problem I have.

I am switching to a pure IT course as my results will prove with High 90's in those subjects but as I might not be able to get into level 8 if I have not got the level 7 in that field. If I have to do another level 7 year and get my second degree in computing with networking, I would have to pay for this year? Then when I do level 8 honours in this course of study, that would then be paid for by SUSI?

I am waiting to see if I can get into level 8, I will know from the department head of that school in two weeks time. I will have to do extra work over summer to get up to speed before it starts in September if I hopefully get in with a current GPA of 77.3%, its good but not great to be honest, so I would like to know.

Basically, will doing level 7 year 3 again next year be paid?
    Also would level 8 be paid regardless of this switch as I have never done a level 8 before?

This thread dates back to July 2013 and is no longer monitored by SUSI. You may be better served to contact SUSI directly by phone, email or via social media. They have a very active Facebook page. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement