Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qur'an in Irish.

• 16-05-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if the Qur'an has been translated into Irish? If it has, where might I source it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

toomevara wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the Qur'an has been translated into Irish? If it has, where might I source it?

I've come across a report going back to 2003 suggesting that there was a project to prepare an Irish-language version of the meaning of the Qur'an, but haven't seen anything more recently to suggest that this project has come to fruition.

According to the latest census figures, there were 49,204 Muslims in Ireland in 2011. Of these, about 18,000 have Irish nationality, but I suspect that many of these are children (there are about 14,000 Muslims aged 15 or under). So there may not be many people who are qualified to prepare an Irish-language version of the Qur'an.

Also, there are many English-language translations available (see this thread on translations for more details), and this is likely to reduce the demand for an Irish-language translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

hivizman wrote: »
    I've come across a report going back to 2003 suggesting that there was a project to prepare an Irish-language version of the meaning of the Qur'an, but haven't seen anything more recently to suggest that this project has come to fruition.

According to the latest census figures, there were 49,204 Muslims in Ireland in 2011. Of these, about 18,000 have Irish nationality, but I suspect that many of these are children (there are about 14,000 Muslims aged 15 or under). So there may not be many people who are qualified to prepare an Irish-language version of the Qur'an.

Also, there are many English-language translations available (see this thread on translations for more details), and this is likely to reduce the demand for an Irish-language translation.

Thanks for that. I have a memory, hazy and perhaps inaccurate, of seeing an Irish language Qur'an in Hodges and Figgis a number of years ago. Definitely a worthy project..just have to become fluent in Arabic first.....

Advertisement