Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet - Advertising Pop-ups/cookies

Options
  • 16-05-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    Is there any way to prevent POP-up advertising when visiting certain websites.
    It looks like my computer has some "Cookie" maybe that's viewing my WEB activity and then sending me adverts about the subjects I've been searching info on.

Is there any way to stop this.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Are you using adblock plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you're using Firefox or Chrome then get Adblock Plus like mp22 suggested, very handy.

Also very handy with the likes of skipping adverts on 4OD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Yes - I use Firefox

I'll take a look at the adblock plus as you recommend.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also, Tools > Options > Content tab, check the Block pop-up windows box.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Those tips seem to be working
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Conology,

I would go even further, have a look at the following extensions:

- Ghostery, blocks all sorts of tracking jpg's, cookies and javascript
    - Smart referer: when you surf to a new website, your old url is transmitted to the website that you are visiting, this is stopping that.

Also I would disable 3rd party cookies and switch on Do Not Track in Options.
    It is a scandal that 3rd party cookies are not off by default. It makes it possible for for instance Facebook to put cookies on your computer whenever you visit a page with a Like button. These cookies could (and CAN) be used by Facebook to track which sites you have visited when you visit Facebook.

Last but not least: Noscript. This disables java script and java.
    This is not for very non-techies though, you will have to whitelist sites that that you trust else the page can look funny or will not work.

All this can sometimes lead to none-working websites but I think it is well worth it. You can always whitelist sites.

Advertisement