Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Turismo 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I cannot understand why Sony and Polyphony are not making this a PS4 title. I understand a port or something similar may appear somewhere down the line but the boost in sales the PS4 would see if they could promise GT6 as a launch title (or launch window title) would be massive.

Perhaps they do not want it to take away from Drive Club, but I know which one I would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Totally agree with Otacon, the whole thing just seems a bit odd.

Glad they kept their slogan though, "the real driving simulator". Can't help but think it's being used as a bit of a jab towards drive club now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    I cannot understand why Sony and Polyphony are not making this a PS4 title. I understand a port or something similar may appear somewhere down the line but the boost in sales the PS4 would see if they could promise GT6 as a launch title (or launch window title) would be massive.

Perhaps they do not want it to take away from Drive Club, but I know which one I would prefer.

They make more money in short run with it on PS3 and just a guess but I'd say they'll do better in the long run too.

GT5 sold over 10m, that makes it the best Sony first party game and 3rd overall on PS3. How many would buy it on PS4 and how many extra PS4 sales would it make, I guess it wouldn't be 10m massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »
    GT5 sold over 10m, that makes it the best Sony first party game and 3rd overall on PS3. How many would buy it on PS4 and how many extra PS4 sales would it make, I guess it wouldn't be 10m massive.

It wouldn't need to be as massive as 10m - even a percentage of that number would still mean more to Sony as they not only have GT customers but PS4 customers who will probably buy more than just GT6 on the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Varik wrote: »
    They make more money in short run with it on PS3 and just a guess but I'd say they'll do better in the long run too.

Making it a PS4 launch title might not increase total sales for the PS4 but it might increase early adoption. It might prompt people to get the console on launch day instead of waiting 6-12 months. And with those increase in sales it might result in people buying other games that they might not otherwise buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Will buy this 100%. Put so many hours into GT5 that it was not healthy at all! Looking forward to doing it all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

GT5 was the first Gran Turismo I properly played.Must have literally put weeks into it. I think I have over 900 cars. Did the Le Mans 24 hour A-Spec 2 summers ago.Never again.Took me 4 days to do it.Played around 6 hours every day and it was the most boring thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

It will be weird if this game don't came with new PS4 ,Grand Turismo was always PS only game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sulc84 wrote: »
    It will be weird if this game don't came with new PS4 ,Grand Turismo was always PS only game.

It's still a PlayStation game, it's just coming out on PS3 rather than PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

PS3 has a 60 million base, PS4 is starting from zero. I'm sure GT6 will be out on PS4 at some stage but the PS3 can't be ignored.

Some of the journo's have already tried GT6 and its in its polish stage. I would love a demo just to get the feel of what its like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Will buy this 100%. Put so many hours into GT5 that it was not healthy at all! Looking forward to doing it all over again!

The exact same! Still playing it most days. Theres a demo coming in July as part of the new GT Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Otacon wrote: »

It has to be to give driveclub a fighting chance. along with the install base on ps3 never being bigger then it is now, and most likely they expect GT games to get massive sales in the first week/month. Releasing as ps4 exclusive and this would not happen. release it on both consoles and driveclub would be dead on arrival.

I read yesterday in an interview that Sony/PD are considering a ps4 port for the future. With PD's track record though, we wont see a full GT game on ps4 for afew years until the install base has grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I understand the theory in why they release it on ps3, but this will harm ps4 sales then do good.
    Keep in mind, a lot of people might be trading in ps3 for ps4. Now those people are in limbo, because they want next PlayStation, but they will want gt6 too. As we know ps4 won't be backwards compatible. All the gaikai streaming services can kiss my ass. If there is one game that needs least of latency and proper direct response, it's God Damn driving simulator.
    I would love to see it as ps4 game, but I don't plan on trading in my phat 60gb ps3, because I love it and It is proper ps3 too.

There was no way they could have released it on PS4 with the time constraints they had to work with. It was simply not possible.

GT6 is supposed to be a big improvement over GT5 with a simpler menu system, better tyre simulation and support for DLC for a long time after release with a new track every month. Its going to be 60FPS and 1080p which is quite impressive for the PS3.

Check out GT6 in 60fps

Gran Turismo 6 1080p60 (439MB)
    Gran Turismo 6 720p60 (244MB)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I raced a lot on GT5, but not a hope I'd buy this on the PS3. The game won't be too different. Most of the cars will be the same, 90% of the tracks will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cienciano wrote: »
    I raced a lot on GT5, but not a hope I'd buy this on the PS3. The game won't be too different. Most of the cars will be the same, 90% of the tracks will be the same.

If they will port all the standard cars in to premium ones, then I'll buy 2 copies...

This was my hate pet in gt5 all the time. Maybe that's why forza won me over completely this gen.

If they will port all the standard cars in to premium ones, then I'll buy 2 copies...

This was my hate pet in gt5 all the time. Maybe that's why forza won me over completely this gen.

Yeah. Some of the standard were good, but some were woeful.
    My problem was the AI. The AI cars followed the racing line, and they'd take you out of it just to get onto it.
    I'd like to see damage too. And an overhaul of the tracks.

One thing I would like to see in Gran Turismo is the car matching up on the track better. At the moment with GT5 and GT6 there isn't a whole pile of time spent on the car profile when you look down low. The car's themselves look incredibly realistic but seem to float around the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

New details from E3 last night, looks fantastic!

deltawing_gemasolar_thumbnail.jpg

http://www.gran-turismo.com/ie/news/00_4937863.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

I love GT, but what reeeaaally pisses me of is the addition of the car sounds in their trailers.
    In other words they know their own sound design is terrible so the have to make the trailer more exciting by afding sounds that aren't in the game.
    I'd wholeheartedly love to be wrong, but time and time and time again PD have failed on this regard.
    For such a "perfectionist" I can't understand how Kaz, who spends so much time around cars including racing in GT cars, will let the game go to the public with such a glaring failing.

I can't wait for GT6, but theres always the thoughts that driving the DeltaWing at Le Mans is going to be soured because the sound is so tame and uninspiring compared to the real deal which pops and crackles and snarls.

But hey.....maybe it'll be different this time.....sigh...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I love GT, but what reeeaaally pisses me of is the addition of the car sounds in their trailers.
    In other words they know their own sound design is terrible so the have to make the trailer more exciting by afding sounds that aren't in the game.
    I'd wholeheartedly love to be wrong, but time and time and time again PD have failed on this regard.
    For such a "perfectionist" I can't understand how Kaz, who spends so much time around cars including racing in GT cars, will let the game go to the public with such a glaring failing.

I can't wait for GT6, but theres always the thoughts that driving the DeltaWing at Le Mans is going to be soured because the sound is so tame and uninspiring compared to the real deal which pops and crackles and snarls.

But hey.....maybe it'll be different this time.....sigh...

Since I got Dirt 2 the other day, I see what you mean. Its the thing GT is really missing. IN Dirt the engines really snarl, brilliant on the surround sound.

How are you finding Dirt 2? I love how the cars handle, but I hated the layout of the game. All the "x games" bullshíte, the annoying "radical man" people that talk to you between rounds, and the gymkana stuff was terrible.
    It would have been an amazing game if it was normal rally stages. Great range of cars in it, loads of classics, group b etc.

As for gran tourismo, i played it a lot, but imho it's missing something. The racing seems a bit souless somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

As for gran tourismo, i played it a lot, but imho it's missing something. The racing seems a bit souless somehow.

Bingo right there. It's missing something Forza has and it's hard to describe. I was like watching the Destiny demo at E3, looked great but was missing something that left it very bland as an experience.

My problems with GT 5 are:
    1: The cars fell strange and look like they float on the track, they don't feel connected. The handling at times seems like glue at times and just off, there is no give of something.

2: Car interiors, if you can't include them then don't put the car in the game. There is no excuse anymore. I'd rather 300 full featured cars than 100 fully done and 700 skins floating around the track.

3: The AI. Need I go into it. Forza 3's AI is far superior never mind 4s with their mistakes and you can force them under pressure.

4: The sounds, oh good god. At times I feel I can close my eyes and imagine playing Mario Kart.

I just can't get excited with GT6 with the state of GT5 even after all it's upgrades. I loved GT3, my top GT game and I want to love the series again but it's lacking so much in almost every area except graphics.

Playing Grid 2 lately and the difference in AI is immense.
    In Grid you can clearly see the different types of AI on display...som will focus on the racing line, but won't punt you off the track just to hit the line, they're aware a car has dived down the inside of a turn.
    Or you have the aggressive AI who will perform blocking moves and will force you wide or shut the door in your face.

This is all far better than GT, where they stick religiouly to the line to your own and their own expense.

The post about lack of soul hits the spot perfectly.

Another thing about the series that needs sorting is,
    You have the scenarios where old Group C cars and classic race cars are dominating modern LMPs and supercars, just because they're "classic" and favourite cars.
    Like in Fifa when Puyol used to be Olympic sprinter fast just because he plays for Barca.

PD need to rectify the situation. GT can't get by on looks and car selection anymore.
    If Kaz doesn't stop being so stubborn and cryptic then hes going to have the game all to himself.

Playing Grid 2 lately and the difference in AI is immense.
    In Grid you can clearly see the different types of AI on display...som will focus on the racing line, but won't punt you off the track just to hit the line, they're aware a car has dived down the inside of a turn.
    Or you have the aggressive AI who will perform blocking moves and will force you wide or shut the door in your face.

This is all far better than GT, where they stick religiouly to the line to your own and their own expense.

The post about lack of soul hits the spot perfectly.

Another thing about the series that needs sorting is,
    You have the scenarios where old Group C cars and classic race cars are dominating modern LMPs and supercars, just because they're "classic" and favourite cars.
    Like in Fifa when Puyol used to be Olympic sprinter fast just because he plays for Barca.

PD need to rectify the situation. GT can't get by on looks and car selection anymore.
    If Kaz doesn't stop being so stubborn and cryptic then hes going to have the game all to himself.
    I might pick up Grid 2. Codemasters always have good AI, even with the first Toca.
    Gran Tourismo is a bit stale. I think the FF, FR, 4WD etc etc has been the same since the first one. Same with the tracks, same ones. The menu screen was really slow to load, and when you went into any menu, you had to listen to elevator music.

Also agree with Captain Chaos, the premium cars were great, but some of the standard ones were disgracefully bad.

197.jpg

I might pick up Grid 2. Codemasters always have good AI, even with the first Toca.
    Gran Tourismo is a bit stale.

197.jpg

Do, its genuinely a fun game. Was playing split-screem with my brother having a whale of a time cause the AI can be as challenging as a human, and there'd be mayhem going into the first turn at Brands Hatch.

Regarding GT, hopefully the new physics model will sort out handling and make the cars feel more connected with the road.
    I don't mind the music myself because its kind of traditional GT, but you can select the music on your HD instead anyway.
    For me the 2 big things are sound and damage.
    I don't buy the excuses they come out with regarding damage when you see what Grid offers.
    Hell, the damage in GTA is far better and more progressive.

I have my music libary selected, but it doesn't work on the menus.
    Yeah, damage is a big thing too. Still easier to plough into a car or barrier to slow you down rather than take a corner. That's another thing codemasters had nailed from the 90's.
    Feck it, I'm buying Grid! Although, codemasters were always a bastard for having to pay for DLC. Even on the PS2 they had cheats, but the cheat code was activated by a unique pin your game save generated, you had to ring a premium phone number to get your cheat code to unlock stuff

I have my music libary selected, but it doesn't work on the menus.

Odd, mine does.

Odd, mine does.
    It doesn't when you go into your garage, or a lot of the other sub menus.

EDIT: after reading a few amazon reviews on Grid 2, I think I'll pass. Sounds like they're doing the exact same thing they did to Dirt.

• Advertisement

It doesn't when you go into your garage, or a lot of the other sub menus.

EDIT: after reading a few amazon reviews on Grid 2, I think I'll pass. Sounds like they're doing the exact same thing they did to Dirt.

Ah, you're right, never noticed that before.
    There are elements of Dirt in it, but I wouldn't say its the same. Personally I think its a fun game, and more importantly in the context of the thread there are elements which GT would do well to take note of.

Advertisement