Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this true?

• 16-05-2013 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

A guy I use to live with said he had a moped with English number plates here in Dublin. At the weekends he use to drive to the airport and never paid at the toll bridge. He said because it had English registered number plates that there was no system here for telling whether it was taxed or insured neither of which he had. Is this true and if that is the case, whats stopping criminals from stealing motorbikes here and driving them in mainland Europe without even changing the plates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nothing.

But they'd probably just rob a 'local' bike abroad, rather than rob in Dublin and haul it to Europe tbh..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Max Manus

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nothing.

But they'd probably just rob a 'local' bike abroad, rather than rob in Dublin and haul it to Europe tbh..........

Are you saying that criminals can steel bikes in Europe and drive them here without even telling that they are stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Max Manus wrote: »
    At the weekends he use to drive to the airport and never paid at the toll bridge.

There is no charge for motorbikes on the toll @ the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Max Manus

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    There is no charge for motorbikes on the toll @ the M50.

He must of been talking sh.ite so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Max Manus wrote: »
    A guy I use to live with said he had a moped with English number plates here in Dublin. At the weekends he use to drive to the airport and never paid at the toll bridge. He said because it had English registered number plates that there was no system here for telling whether it was taxed or insured neither of which he had. Is this true and if that is the case, whats stopping criminals from stealing motorbikes here and driving them in mainland Europe without even changing the plates?

While the Gardaì don't bother with foreign registered vehicles it doesn't mean other forces don't. The PSNI will do you for riding an untaxed bike and will arrest you if it's too late to get to court, if you can't provide a UK residence. In order to use the roads in another country you need to be legal in your own and it's entirely up to you to prove your legal.

Why would they need to steal the bike here? Just get some Irish, or UK, plates made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

A friend has been driving his English reg car up and down the m50 for at least 5 years and has never paid a toll or received a bill.

• Company Representative Posts: 62 Verified rep eFlow: Reps

Hi MaxManus

Motorbikes are exempt from the M50 toll and aren't required to make a payment for using the M50. All other vehicles are required to make a payment regardless of which country they are registered to.

Hope that helps,
    Ciaran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

gbob wrote: »
    A friend has been driving his English reg car up and down the m50 for at least 5 years and has never paid a toll or received a bill.

I hope he also lives in England otherwise how does his insurance/MOT work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

guttenberg wrote: »
    I hope he also lives in England otherwise how does his insurance/MOT work out?

Actually he doesn't, he complies with the requirements to have the car out of the country twice a year and it's Mot'd taxed and insured in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's still illegal (under VRT rules) for an Irish resident to drive a non-Irish registered vehicle here.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement