Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Tiles on windows phone

Options
  • 16-05-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Mine don't update. Anyone found a tested, reliable fix for this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This problem has existed since the release of windows phone 7. Although its slightly better on Windows phone 8, its by no means 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does that not make them a bit pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont take much notice of them, but my weather app, and counters (talk/txt/data usage) do.

BostonB wrote: »
    Does that not make them a bit pointless?

Absolutely.

The likes of the weather apps will typically work for a day or so and then you have to launch the app itself for the live tile to update again. The battery level app works rather well, but it stops reading the battery level properly at around 21% or there abouts...arguably the one time you want to know what your level is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do you get around that?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    How do you get around that?

When they stop working, you have to click on the app and launch it. Once its launched it will update the live tile and it should work for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don't you have to give it permission to live update.

I'm sure it's in settings somewhere.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Don't you have to give it permission to live update.

I'm sure it's in settings somewhere.

Yup, even with this they fail to update after a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Mine don't update. Anyone found a tested, reliable fix for this issue?

All of them, Some of them? Which phone, which OS version?

Can you give more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Reati wrote: »
    All of them, Some of them? Which phone, which OS version?

Can you give more detail?

Lumia 800. 7.8. The 'me' tile. Only updates sporadically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The biggest offender for a non-functioning live tile (and notifications) is the official facebook app. Bloody useless. So I now have the "Me" tile pinned and it flips over to reveal any notifications / comments etc and it's 100% reliable. Maybe it's not so good on 7.8.

Since upgrading to WP8 (Lumia 920) my other live tiles have been rock solid. Currently I have a live tile for a shopping list, weather ("Forecast"), Mixtapes, Whatsapp, Baconit, TV Show, MediaHub, VGBC. All work 100% all the time, but usually I use each app at least once or twice a week, but usually daily. Admittedly if you never open the app then the Live Tile eventually stops updating after a while (2 weeks?) because it assumes you aren't interested. A tricky one with weather apps.

If you have really bad Wifi / 3G coverage at work or on your bedside locker (wherever the phone spends a lot of time in standby) then you're going to have a bad time with regards Live Tiles. They seem to "give up" if they can't get a data connection over too long a time.

Advertisement