Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harm of vaping

Options
  • 16-05-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

has there been any studies into the dangers of vaping or is it too new to have any conclusive studies carried out,

one time smoker, been off smokes 2 years now but still struggle on nights out etc.. if i knew vaping was 100% safe and no risk of cancer or other breathing deseases i might just take it up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

There have been studies, but none long-term due to the fact that it hasn't existed for a long term.
    It's not 100% safe but it has been described as safer than the air you'd breathe in a city like New York or London and hundreds of times safer than cigarettes at least. Take from that what you will.
    Here's a ton of studies to pore over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There have been lots of studies so far, but lots more are needed before the full long term effects of vaping are fully understood. There's a quick summary of the most important studies here.

As things stand at the moment, we can not say conclusively that vaping is 100% safe. We can say conclusively that vaping is drastically less harmful than smoking tobacco. There is no significant evidence yet that vaping causes any harm at all, but that does not imply that such evidence will not be found in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I came across this short summary on e-cigs earlier today and thought it might help answer your questions: http://t.co/lcSCT0i5RJ

It's short and succinct - a good intro regarding the safety and efficacy of ecigs, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I get asked this question a lot by people when they see me vaping and from my own research I've drawn 2 main conclusions:

• Vaping, while not fully understood, is conclusively less harmful than smoking. At this stage this seems to be an indisputable fact.
    • Now that I've stopped smoking I don't think I could go back on the analogs, the longer I'm off them the less appeal they have. So therefore electronic cigarettes are an extremely effective means of giving up smoking.
    How long will I keep vaping for? I'm not sure, until I have a reason to give up or it's not enjoyable any more I guess. I no longer feel like such a slave to tobacco though.

That's my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

has there been any studies into the dangers of vaping or is it too new to have any conclusive studies carried out,

one time smoker, been off smokes 2 years now but still struggle on nights out etc.. if i knew vaping was 100% safe and no risk of cancer or other breathing deseases i might just take it up

I was in your same boat. I gave up smoking however on nights out I'd smoke. Next day I wouldn't want a smoke but after a couple of drinks it was a different story.

Then I saw an ecig from the first time just over a year ago on that movie the tourist. It was always on my mind until my friend got smoke greens and I tried it and wow.

Since then I haven't had a smoke and I don't want one ever again either.

Point is replacing your drink smoking habit with ecig is less harmful so just do it already. How less harmful, a bloody lot less harmful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

As someone with a sensitive stomach, I have to make sure I have a full stomach, or my empty one goes bananas with the PG and VG that it's taking in.

They won't do any real harm, they just upset it like feck.

That and my wallet are the only thing I'd call harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

jamie72 wrote: »
    That and my wallet are the only thing I'd call harm.

+1 on the wallet harm! (not to be facetious on this topic, but, jaysus it can get expensive, if you let it.. ;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 feckinfecker

There are so many different brands of e-cigs it's hard to know for sure. For example, the Kanger evod one I'm using now could be full of lead and mercury, whereas the ones they used for the studies could be fine. Who knows? Not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Also certain e-liquids like Mad Murdocks Radiator Pluid have radio active isotopes in them which may possibly turn you into an Incredible Hulk which would be very harmful for the clothes you're wearing at the time and possible your decor also.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/attachments/e-cigarette-suppliers-forum/122951d1344016547-mad-murdocks-radiator-pluid-2012-08-03-13.15.36.jpg

Advertisement