Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streets of Galway 2013.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭

Streets of Galway - 28th Running
    Online Entry Now Open
    2013 sees the 28th year of the infamous Streets of Galway Road Race. Beginning in 1986 at the tail end of the first running boom, this year, in the midst of an even bigger running boom, Galway City Harriers AC as race organisers hope to attract 2500 runners and joggers onto the streets of our city and suburbs.
    this will sell out fast........only 20E entry fee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Online Entry Now Open
    2013 sees the 28th year of the infamous Streets of Galway Road Race. Beginning in 1986 at the tail end of the first running boom, this year, in the midst of an even bigger running boom, Galway City Harriers AC as race organisers hope to attract 2500 runners and joggers onto the streets of our city and suburbs.
    this will sell out fast........only 20E entry fee.

Ran this last year, fantastic race and great to run through my home town.
    Plan to be back, but unfortunately not this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

All the info is up here now for this gem of a race

http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/streetsofgalway

Some small route changes, very fast start, plus now including a pilgrimage round the iconic Galway cathedral...!

Would be great if I could run this year, but...??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Online Entry Now Open
    2013 sees the 28th year of the infamous Streets of Galway Road Race.

What's infamous about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Galway City Harriers, Ireland’s largest athletics club is delighted to announce Kearney Cycles as the new official sponsor of the Annual Streets of Galway 8km road race. The 28th annual Kearney Cycles Streets of Galway 8k Road Race, which was officially launched this week, takes place on August 10th at 7pm. Entries are now open on www.runireland.com. Further information is on www.galwaycityharriers.com or follow us on Facebook on https://www.facebook.com/StreetsOfGalway

The event is the jewel in the crown of Galway City racing events as a stunning evening summer run through the City Centre culminating in a beautiful 2k section along the promenade, finishing at the Claddagh. The event was first staged in 1986 and the ethos from the start to the present day has been “sport for all”. The race attracts runners of all standards and ages from all over Ireland - from elite international athletes, to athletic club runners, competitors from other sports, joggers and walkers. This year entries are already filling up fast.

Galway City Harriers are delighted to have the support and sponsorship of Martin Kearney and his company Kearney Cycles, which is based in the Headford Road Retail Park in the city. The race is also supported for the event day via water provided by Corrib Oil.

Registration is at the bargain price of 20 Euro (for early registration, €25 for late registration) which includes a stylish technical Streets of Galway t-shirt to sport proudly after the event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Here's the route:
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/images/route-map?size=_original

Looking forward to this, lets hope the weather stays fine for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

radiata wrote: »
    Here's the route:
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/images/route-map?size=_original

Looking forward to this, lets hope the weather stays fine for it

Looking forward to it myself. One of those "special" events for me, a favourite :)
    As for the weather, who knows :)
    Pity they had to change the start area after the council put in those annoying mini roundabouts or traffic calming measures:mad::mad: I used to like/and dislike seeing the frontrunners take off and turn right over the bridge before i got to the clock :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Registration closed this morning for this.

I see we've to pick up our packs at Kearney's (beside Dunnes Terryland) on Friday or Saturday before the race.

quinlivan wrote: »
    Registration closed this morning for this.

I see we've to pick up our packs at Kearney's (beside Dunnes Terryland) on Friday or Saturday before the race.

Think I recieved e mail from gch saying that uncollected registrations may be collected at Galway rovers clubhouse at a certain time..
    will check back when on pc...
    Check your junk folder just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I missed this race last year due to an annoying knee injury but im back in it this year so cant wait.I went for my last training run tonight and it was a bit on the humid side,its meant to be a bit fresher and showery at the weekend so we'll see how it goes.That last 2km along the Prom,Gratten Rd and by Southpark always drags on and it really finds ppl out who are trying to bluff their way around:).My humble goal is to run under 40mins this year.The Black Eyed Peas song "lets get it started" comes to mind right now:).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Have an entry going if anyone wants it? Can't collect the pack but can send you all info. Injured at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did it today. Good run and nice few changes to the course since i did it last. Thoroughly enjoyable and always love the "WTF!" look on some peoples faces as the hoards run through eyre square. Great support and thanks to the organisers.

Enjoyed the run yesterday. Great turnout as always.
    Loads of volunteers/marshals directing us around and loads
    of support all the way around.

Managed a PB, chipped at 34:58 which was nice, quickly followed by me
    trying to climb over rope for a bit of dry reaching which was not so nice :D:D

Provisional results http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/streets-galway/kearney-cycles-streets-galway-8k-2013-provisional-resultsprize-list#attachments

Only small issue I had was the starting area. seemed very packed in. I know the road is about the same width as the previous starting area, but we were packed in tighter to make room for everyone at the back...
    Like I said , it was only a small issue from such a wonderful event..

Big well done to all involved in making this such a great race as usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Ya i was wondering why we were only in one side of the road for the start,seemed fairly packed.I had'nt realised we were'nt turning left at Devon Park as we did in other years and we had to go up that small hill.It was a great event again and well done to everyone organising it.I did it in 40mins as i was hoping for.I seen someone spew their guts out in front of me at the finish which was a really lovely sight:rolleyes:.Again, like other years,going up by the Skeff there was loads of clueless tourists in the way who didnt have the good sense to stand to the side and i seen one or 2 collisions.Can i sign up for next year yet??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Loved it! This was my first year taking part and will definitely be back next year. Chip Time was 38m 15s which I was delighted about considering my legs were tired after my first full week on training for the marathon.

Advertisement