Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom's CS ignore customers?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Though I know I am reiterating a complaint many seem to have with Eircom, this post is really to let people, who find themselves in the same position, know of possible actions to take. Firstly, the background in a cut down version, full details have been given to Eircom, repeatedly. 

1. 28th March: A sales agent sold me a 'NGB Pre sale' contract and confirmed at the time of sale that I would be able to avail of a maximum broadband speed of c. 7.5MB until as I was upgraded to NGB.

2. 22nd April: After I had transferred to Eircom, a CS representative that I spoke to on their online chat facility told me that I could in fact only avail of a maximum broadband speed of 3mb. He could offer no resolution and suggested I complete an online form to have my issue escalated to customer care, with a time frame of 10 working days. 

3. 30th April: T + Following my escalated complaint, the following came from Eircom's Customer Care: "I can advise that...you currently do not have any broadband on your account". I subsequently corrected them and stated that, in fact, they do provide my broadband, they had even confirmed the same with me via text on the 18th April. 

4. 1st May: I received the following: "Your issues have been raised to our Complaints for investigation. An agent will be in contact within 8-10 working days to find a resolution."

5. 16th May: No further communication on my complaint has been received

So, the nuts and bolts are, I am sold a 7.5mb broadband package and I am given a 3mb broadband package instead. I have raised the issue 4 times with Eircom (I was speaking to an Eircom CS rep again via phone on Tuesday of this week) and a total resolution time of 18 working days, or almost a month, has elapsed without response. I can only assume Eircom is ignoring the complaint with a hope that I will just go away. 

In situations such as this the recommendation, if you have not received a satisfactory response from Eircom's complaints resolution, is to raise a complaint with the communications regulator, ComReg. Fortunately for me I covered law in college so I know consumers, in this or similar positions, have further options, though this is not to distract from ComReg or what they do. 

This situation is governed by The Consumer Protection Act. So what do you do? Basically, in addition to ComReg, you lodge a formal complaint with the National Consumer Agency, here's the link: http://www.nca.ie/nca/contact-form. The NCA were set up to protect consumer rights, basically putting a bit of muscle behind consumers when dealing with companies who adopt an approach like Eircom's. Of course, before we all hit the NCA with complaints together (I'm assuming there are a large amount of people who are hot happy with Eircom), you should note that, as with ComReg, you must deal with the company first and give them a fair chance to resolve the complaint. 

In my case I think I have given Eircom ample time to response and they themselves escalated the complaint internally. Unfortunately they have failed to do anything and I am now escalating my complaint to the NCA and ComReg on misleading commerical practices.  

Mostly what is annoying me in this situation though is that Eircom seem to be going out of their way to make difficulties for their customers. The situation should be: the sales agent offers me broadband, I buy broadband and I get what I bought, like it is with any company. Simples.

On that front, here's a side story about a company who does understand customer service. I purchased a regulator for a compressor from Aldi. The reducer on the regulator started to leak air. Of course, I don't have the receipt anymore but I email the company anyway, thinking the worst is they will not respond. Aldi respond  "As our warranty is only valid in conjunction with a purchase receipt, we cannot replace the item for you". I expected this but they go on: "What I can offer however, is to send you a new pressure reducer free of charge, as a gesture of good will. Please forward your address, that we can do so". No receipt, no proof of purchase and Aldi stand over their products. Time taken to resolve the issue? 4 working days. Now that's simples.

I'd suggest Eircom take a long hard look at companies like these but we all know they won't. Oh God I hope they try to enforce the 12 month contract anyway....

Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Though I know I am reiterating a complaint many seem to have with Eircom, this post is really to let people, who find themselves in the same position, know of possible actions to take. Firstly, the background in a cut down version, full details have been given to Eircom, repeatedly. 

1. 28th March: A sales agent sold me a 'NGB Pre sale' contract and confirmed at the time of sale that I would be able to avail of a maximum broadband speed of c. 7.5MB until as I was upgraded to NGB.

2. 22nd April: After I had transferred to Eircom, a CS representative that I spoke to on their online chat facility told me that I could in fact only avail of a maximum broadband speed of 3mb. He could offer no resolution and suggested I complete an online form to have my issue escalated to customer care, with a time frame of 10 working days. 

3. 30th April: T + Following my escalated complaint, the following came from Eircom's Customer Care: "I can advise that...you currently do not have any broadband on your account". I subsequently corrected them and stated that, in fact, they do provide my broadband, they had even confirmed the same with me via text on the 18th April. 

4. 1st May: I received the following: "Your issues have been raised to our Complaints for investigation. An agent will be in contact within 8-10 working days to find a resolution."

5. 16th May: No further communication on my complaint has been received

So, the nuts and bolts are, I am sold a 7.5mb broadband package and I am given a 3mb broadband package instead. I have raised the issue 4 times with Eircom (I was speaking to an Eircom CS rep again via phone on Tuesday of this week) and a total resolution time of 18 working days, or almost a month, has elapsed without response. I can only assume Eircom is ignoring the complaint with a hope that I will just go away. 

In situations such as this the recommendation, if you have not received a satisfactory response from Eircom's complaints resolution, is to raise a complaint with the communications regulator, ComReg. Fortunately for me I covered law in college so I know consumers, in this or similar positions, have further options, though this is not to distract from ComReg or what they do. 

This situation is governed by The Consumer Protection Act. So what do you do? Basically, in addition to ComReg, you lodge a formal complaint with the National Consumer Agency, here's the link: http://www.nca.ie/nca/contact-form. The NCA were set up to protect consumer rights, basically putting a bit of muscle behind consumers when dealing with companies who adopt an approach like Eircom's. Of course, before we all hit the NCA with complaints together (I'm assuming there are a large amount of people who are hot happy with Eircom), you should note that, as with ComReg, you must deal with the company first and give them a fair chance to resolve the complaint. 

In my case I think I have given Eircom ample time to response and they themselves escalated the complaint internally. Unfortunately they have failed to do anything and I am now escalating my complaint to the NCA and ComReg on misleading commerical practices.  

Mostly what is annoying me in this situation though is that Eircom seem to be going out of their way to make difficulties for their customers. The situation should be: the sales agent offers me broadband, I buy broadband and I get what I bought, like it is with any company. Simples.

On that front, here's a side story about a company who does understand customer service. I purchased a regulator for a compressor from Aldi. The reducer on the regulator started to leak air. Of course, I don't have the receipt anymore but I email the company anyway, thinking the worst is they will not respond. Aldi respond  "As our warranty is only valid in conjunction with a purchase receipt, we cannot replace the item for you". I expected this but they go on: "What I can offer however, is to send you a new pressure reducer free of charge, as a gesture of good will. Please forward your address, that we can do so". No receipt, no proof of purchase and Aldi stand over their products. Time taken to resolve the issue? 4 working days. Now that's simples.

I'd suggest Eircom take a long hard look at companies like these but we all know they won't. Oh God I hope they try to enforce the 12 month contract anyway....

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you had to date. I appreciate you have escalated the matter through the regulator.

If you need me to check or clarify anything feel free to send me a PM with your account details.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement