Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to the uk

Options
  • 16-05-2013 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Myself and partner decided that we want a better lives for ourselves in the uk. We are not planning on going till august of next year it gives us time to save a bit and to go over for a brief holiday next year to find jobs house etc. Just really. Need so advice what to do is it better to go through agencies for a job. We haven't decided what part to go to so if people could help me out on that i would really be grateful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Really need help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

This is a good thread to get you started http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364193

I moved to Bournemouth this year with my family and found the thread really helpful for information. What type of work will you be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Hey man, Girlfriend just got offered a job in Bournemouth, what do you think of the place so far? heading over in June to have a look around, any info would be sweet.

It's a fantastic place to live, 7 miles of beaches and a 30 minute drive will bring you to some of the most beautiful countryside through picture postcard villages, everybody seems friendly and so many are second or third generation Irish. Renting a flat or house is expensive compared to Ireland and expect to pay around £150 a month for council tax, water etc but after that everything else is much cheaper than Ireland. I was lucky to find a fantastic estate agent who was really helpful with everything before I moved here and I would recommend talking to him, let me know if you want his contact details. I'd recommend hiring a car when you come in June because that's the best way of getting around here and getting to see the place properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

It's a fantastic place to live, 7 miles of beaches and a 30 minute drive will bring you to some of the most beautiful countryside through picture postcard villages, everybody seems friendly and so many are second or third generation Irish. Renting a flat or house is expensive compared to Ireland and expect to pay around £150 a month for council tax, water etc but after that everything else is much cheaper than Ireland. I was lucky to find a fantastic estate agent who was really helpful with everything before I moved here and I would recommend talking to him, let me know if you want his contact details. I'd recommend hiring a car when you come in June because that's the best way of getting around here and getting to see the place properly.
    Hi. As far as I know, all UK estate agents demand UK references and UK credit check from tenants. New arrivals to UK don't have the above. How did go about that?

• Advertisement

The estate agent I dealt with handled all of that, he got 1 email reference from Ireland and just took a copy of my Irish Bank statements, he didn't need any more than that.

And I should add that my bank statement didn't show anything more than anyone's bank statements and It's not as if I was swimming in money either. The email address I gave for the reference was also one I created myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Exccellent thanks for the reply man, Could you PM me the estate agents contact details, i would be very grateful, and I'll buy you a pint should the move happen,

Thanks again,

Neckedit

PM sent

What about manchester is that a nice place to work and live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

The estate agent I dealt with handled all of that, he got 1 email reference from Ireland and just took a copy of my Irish Bank statements, he didn't need any more than that.
    thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

carly_86 wrote: »
    Northwest is lovely, Liverpool, Manchester and Chester areas, cheaper than down south and nicer people IMO, harder to get work in some fields though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Greater Manchester has 2.2m people, I.e. half the population of Ireland. Plenty of nice and scummy areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Norfolk/Suffolk Buckinghamshire are all lovely areas with employment opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As the others have said, Manchester has its good and bad areas. I have been on a few nights out there and there is a great buzz and atmosphere about the place.

I have a good friend from Manchester, so if you want some tips on areas to stay away form let me know and I will get some info from him.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    As the others have said, Manchester has its good and bad areas. I have been on a few nights out there and there is a great buzz and atmosphere about the place.

I have a good friend from Manchester, so if you want some tips on areas to stay away form let me know and I will get some info from him.

MrP

Cool ya plz looking to work and live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Myself and partner decided that we want a better lives for ourselves in the uk. We are not planning on going till august of next year it gives us time to save a bit and to go over for a brief holiday next year to find jobs house etc. Just really. Need so advice what to do is it better to go through agencies for a job. We haven't decided what part to go to so if people could help me out on that i would really be grateful

London, Manchester, Belfast, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Bournemouth, Glastonbury, Enniskillen, Durham, Wales, Cornwall, Birmingham, Yorkshire, the Cotswolds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, the Lake District, Norfolk, Bath, Derry, Surrey, Hampshire, Croydon . . . .

So many contrasts, but where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I live in Manchester these days (along with a new boards account :() so have a fairly good idea of areas of the city.

If you're into apartment living in the city any of Castlefields, Northern Quarter, Whitworth Street, Ancoats and parts of inner Salford are all pretty good.

Further out you have Withington, Didsbury, Chorlton in south Manchester, great little suburbs with lots of bars, restaurants, cafes, parks etc. I find Didsbury a bit pouncy personally so might avoid it myself.

Further out again the likes of Sale and Altrincham have good rail links to the centre and are more family orientated.

Pendlebury and Prestwich are also good bets.

Places you don't want to live if you can afford not to are Longsight, Moss Side (nowhere near as bad as it used to be to be fair but not a first timer place to live), Gorton (where Shameless was filmed), most of Salford away from the Quays and Pendlebury, Moston, Wythenshawe. The northern mill towns of Rochdale, Oldham (scene of race riots) and Bolton are also pretty rubbish. I also wouldn't recommend living in Fallowfield which is pretty much 90% + plus students or Rusholme which is very noisy and smelly from all the curry shops, boy racers and shisha cafes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

But don't not go for a curry in Rusholme.... :)

Also, thinking of making the move to the UK next year. Was supposed to go this year but put it off for college. I'd like to stay out of London. Manchester would be the next place I'd try.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

seachto7 wrote: »
    But don't not go for a curry in Rusholme.... :)

Also, thinking of making the move to the UK next year. Was supposed to go this year but put it off for college. I'd like to stay out of London. Manchester would be the next place I'd try.

To be honest the Curry Mile is a bit of a has-been place these days, far better food in the city centre or Kathmandu out in West Didsbury. There was a lot of environmental health failings a few years back and to be honest the place isn't really worth a visit anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ah, tis 5 years since I've been in Rusholme to be honest, but good to know for when I'm back in Mancunia in September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Nottingham is a very nice city...

Just moved home after 13 years there!!!

Any questions on this area just shout...ill be happy to answer them plus have plenty of contacts over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DeeDee89

what kind of work are you looking for????

Advertisement