Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Leinster under 20. 2 wins and a draw.
    Leinster under 19. 2 wins and a loss
    Leinster under 18. 3 wins.

Considering how weakened the 20s were due to injury its been a pretty impressive interpro series again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leinster under 20. 2 wins and a draw.
    Leinster under 19. 2 wins and a loss
    Leinster under 18 schools. 3 wins.

Considering how weakened the 20s were due to injury its been a pretty impressive interpro series again.
    Leinster always win u18 schools. Think its around 10 years since they haven't.
    Leinster should win most age groups interpro series most seasons due to sheer numbers they have and advantages of that. They will probably win the Youths series which starts next weekend as well.

just because they should, doesn't mean they will. why play the games if its just a matter of numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Andy Marks got the match winning try for the 19's.

just because they should, doesn't mean they will. why play the games if its just a matter of numbers.
    I know that but because of the advantages in playing numbers means Leinster most likely to win most seasons.

Ulster beat Munster in u18 schools 19-12 to take 2nd place behind Leinster

i've never been more convinced that a player will make it professionally(bar serious injury) than when i watch James Ryan play rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

i've never been more convinced that a player will make it professionally(bar serious injury) than when i watch James Ryan play rugby.

echo that sentiment wholeheartedly

outstanding solo effort from marks to win,seeing as he didnt make the irish schools and wasnt even meant to be in the 23 today hes shown what he can do

lurtz wrote: »
    outstanding solo effort from marks to win,seeing as he didnt make the irish schools and wasnt even meant to be in the 23 today hes shown what he can do

He's dreadfully unlucky in that he's part of an age group that has both Brewer and Cleary in the centre, and Dardis at full-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BallsOfLeather

Does anyone know what Kieran Treadwell who played for Ireland U-18s last season is doing now?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what Kieran Treadwell who played for Ireland U-18s last season is doing now?
    playing with Harlequins EPDG. Still in school. Sam Arnold who also played irish youths last season also in Quins EPDG. Both played with exiles who toured Ireland in late August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who is playing 10 for Leinster 19s?

Mark Sutton of Newbridge College

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    Mark Sutton of Newbridge College

Oh really? How did he play?

Is Byrne still elligible for the 19s? (I know he's with the 20s)

Mark Sutton Newbridge played today while Fergal Cleary, ex Navan now Clongowes played game v Munster

Oh really? How did he play?

Is Byrne still elligible for the 19s? (I know he's with the 20s)

Couldn't tell you. Didn't get to see the game.

Byrne is eligible yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

playing with Harlequins EPDG. Still in school. Sam Arnold who also played irish youths last season also in Quins EPDG. Both played with exiles who toured Ireland in late August

Threadwell certainly didn't play v Leinster U.19's and by all accounts is going the England route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Connacht beat Munster at 19's and 20's. A lot of their best players going to, Roscrea for 5th/6th year and playing schools rugby over the past few seasons.seems to be working out well for them!

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Connacht beat Munster at 19's and 20's. A lot of their best players going to, Roscrea for 5th/6th year and playing schools rugby over the past few seasons.seems to be working out well for them!
    A small few going to Roscrea isn't the difference. Looks more like that the Connacht players are getting coached better which is the difference not going to 1 school.
    Connacht coaches like Charlie Cooper who is involved in Buccs in Athlone are the ones who're doing the work that deserves the thanks much more than Cistercian Roscrea coaches who have also helped no doubt with the few who have been in Connacht set up after some time spent in school in Roscrea

• Advertisement

sutton is a brilliant player,so off the cuff and plays very flat but a bit small

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

shawneebuy wrote: »
    Threadwell certainly didn't play v Leinster U.19's and by all accounts is going the England route.

Treadwell is along with Sam Arnold still at school. How could you make out they are going down the England route? They are finishing school.

Treadwell has been playing with Harlequins second team this year and Sam Arnold was playing in the early season JP Morgan 7's with their first team. Great achivements by them both. They are real talents and making great progress. I would say that Arnold will shine for the Clubs side this year, the boy is a class act and Treadwell will play for Irish 19's

treadwell would be a loss if he goes with england

Leinster Development draws made
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/schools/10488

What would people think of in time combinations of the 3 Dundalk and 3 Drogheda schools competing in the senior cup or something like that? Helps improve the standards of players in these area's. Gives bigger profile to schools and rugby in these area's?

Shame Munster and other provinces cant get as many schools competing in their school competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Leinster Development draws made
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/schools/10488

What would people think of in time combinations of the 3 Dundalk and 3 Drogheda schools competing in the senior cup or something like that? Helps improve the standards of players in these area's. Gives bigger profile to schools and rugby in these area's?

Shame Munster and other provinces cant get as many schools competing in their school competitions.

It really is a such a fantastic achievement, the level of growth there is in the numbers of schools competing at that level. The links that are being made between clubs and schools are very much mutually beneficial, I don’t know why there doesn’t seem to be more of the same being pushed around the country.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It really is a such a fantastic achievement, the level of growth there is in the numbers of schools competing at that level. The links that are being made between clubs and schools are very much mutually beneficial, I don’t know why there doesn’t seem to be more of the same being pushed around the country.
    And numbers playing are really benefiting the clubs. Links between clubs and schools being utilised how they should be with only Connacht doing better in my view. Less said about Munster the better. Lots of work to be done down south

• Advertisement

8 of last years Leinster Youths team all played Section A Schools rugby and 8 of this years U.19 team also played Section A schools. There is a lot of talent in these schools, but thankfully it is recognised in Leinster and these players have a chance to progress into inter pro and national level.

8 of last years Leinster Youths team all played Section A Schools rugby and 8 of this years U.19 team also played Section A schools. There is a lot of talent in these schools, but thankfully it is recognised in Leinster and these players have a chance to progress into inter pro and national level.
    Yes there is lots more talent in these schools and the clubs are doing great work at and they are ever improving. Look at Navan the club is very strong. Won u17 all Ireland past 2 seasons. Also won u19 Leinster title last season. They are fielding at least 2 teams at every age group and this will strengthen the club so much so at AIL in the near future

Anyway back to rugby and Clongowes beat Cistercian Roscrea yesterday 18-13 in a friendly in Roscrea. Both sides not at full strength and missing some provincial players but good test for both sides

Conor Oliver is in Blackrock College.

Conor Oliver is in Blackrock College.

so is Joey Carberry.

Mhm, there's a good few posts about Carberry but I don't think Oliver was mentioned at all. In my opinion, Oliver is a much greater acquisition.

Can't see anyone but Rock lifting the cup with the Leinster reps they have. They'll likely have 9 players in their 23 who have repped Leinster.

• Advertisement

Rock: Loughman, Keane, O'Connor, Dwan, Oliver, Timoney, Carberry, Power

Michael's: Bollard, O'Neill, Ryan, Cregan, Penny, Deegan, Duggan, Gilsenan, Leavy.

Afaik.

'Rock scrum-half Ruairi O'Farrell has represented Leinster and Ireland at u18 level as well, as far as I know.

'Rock scrum-half Ruairi O'Farrell has represented Leinster and Ireland at u18 level as well, as far as I know.

Thought he wasn't playing anymore.. at least he wasn't last year.

Thought he wasn't playing anymore.. at least he wasn't last year.

I know he took a break last year, but it looks like he's back playing. He started for 'Rock in a friendly there against a NZ school team.

I know he took a break last year, but it looks like he's back playing. He started for 'Rock in a friendly there against a NZ school team.

Interesting to watch, he was involved with Ireland u18 and Leinster as a 4th year if i remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yes O Farrell is back playing again this year. There was word Zach O Hagan the Rock wing was going to be with Leinster but missed the trials with the injury picked up in last years cup.
    Rock beat Palmerstown North from New Zealand 22-6 or something like that. A couple of would be starters not playing either.
    Really don't want a Terenure situation this year but it seems very much to be Rocks to lose. You think of the 11 or so returning squad members and if you include O Farrell the 3 new acquisitions they look very strong.
    But Michaels and their impressive 5th years will very much be there or there abouts as will clongowes and perhaps Newbridge.
    All this of course is hot air as I'm yet to see any of the teams play so will reserve a proper judgement until then.

Leinster League opening day results are up on leinsterrugby.ie
    In Section A Monkstown beat Gerards 16-5, Roscrea beat Pres Bray 44-10 and Newbridge and Andrews drew 22-22
    In Section B Castleknock beat CUS 53-3, Wesley beat Gonzaga 36-15 and Kilkenny beat Kings Hospital 18-14.

assume Carbery is playing 10 then for Rock

assume Carbery is playing 10 then for Rock

Maybe. Looked like Sean Kearns was at 10 for the NZ match though. I don't know much about Kearns other than he played in the Senior cup for CBC when he was in 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Leinster League opening day results are up on leinsterrugby.ie
    In Section A Monkstown beat Gerards 16-5, Roscrea beat Pres Bray 44-10 and Newbridge and Andrews drew 22-22
    In Section B Castleknock beat CUS 53-3, Wesley beat Gonzaga 36-15 and Kilkenny beat Kings Hospital 18-14.

Are Templeogue College and The Hight School not in this league ?

• Advertisement

Are Templeogue College and The Hight School not in this league ?
    High School and Templeogue are in the league below the league that Cistercian etc compete in. No fixtures for that league up on leinsterugby

Maybe. Looked like Sean Kearns was at 10 for the NZ match though. I don't know much about Kearns other than he played in the Senior cup for CBC when he was in 4th year.

and hes in rock now?

lurtz wrote: »
    and hes in rock now?

yeah, he came off the bench for them last year in the final.

Irish Youths, Schools and 19s squads have been picked for upcoming training camp which is week the schools are on mid term at end of this month.

Change to past few years in that at this camp an Irish Schools XV will play a game v a 19s XV while 2 Irish Youths XVs will play against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Irish Youths, Schools and 19s squads have been picked for upcoming training camp which is week the schools are on mid term at end of this month.

Change to past few years in that at this camp an Irish Schools XV will play a game v a 19s XV while 2 Irish Youths XVs will play against each other

I doubt the youths have been picked after one week of inter pro's.

Good to see they will be playing matches, I expect leinster to once again dominate representation. I presume the 20's squad has been selected as well to allow the 19's to know who they can and cannot select.

RuPi wrote: »
    I doubt the youths have been picked after one week of inter pro's.

Good to see they will be playing matches, I expect leinster to once again dominate representation. I presume the 20's squad has been selected as well to allow the 19's to know who they can and cannot select.
    :o Sorry you are correct but the other squads(u18 schools, 19s and 20s) have been picked and players are getting notified of selection at the moment.
    Yes Leinster should dominate most of the squads considering they've won all but the 19s(lost on points difference) of the interpro age grade titles for this season with the youths still to be played

Leinster didn't win the U.19's. are these squads available to see

Thank you for correcting that , Lost Sheep

Leinster didn't win the U.19's. are these squads available to see
    you are correct. fixed my previous post. No not yet. Squads not available to see. I haven't seen the squads just heard of some players who've been called to first training camps and saw those fixtures for irish sides that I mentioned in previous post.
    Squads will not be up anymore until that camp in October if that and it may be later though if you use twitter etc you should be able to find who is in certain squads

Leinster u18 win 43-3 against Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

you are correct. fixed my previous post. No not yet. Squads not available to see. I haven't seen the squads just heard of some players who've been called to first training camps and saw those fixtures for irish sides that I mentioned in previous post.
    Squads will not be up anymore until that camp in October if that and it may be later though if you use twitter etc you should be able to find who is in certain squads

Who did you hear was involved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement