Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing pot's and pans?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Jamie Oliver / tefal hard anodized frying pan and one of the rivets has just popped. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I might get this repaired? It's a good heavy duty pan and I expected to have use of it for the foreseeable future.

I left it on the hob to heat up (for too long I guess) and it just popped

I am a little dissapointed as I like this pan as it can go in the oven and pull double duty.

As regards warranty etc, I will have to check with my wife but I most probably didn't send anything off.

Mods: please move this to another forum if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You don't have to send off any paperwork of register anywhere to have statutory rights - just proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could you not replace it with a stainless steel nut & bolt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

or replace it with a pop rivet?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    or replace it with a pop rivet?

It's not fully gone and is functional for use as a frying pan, just a little concerned about using it in the oven as I am fond of doing and unfortunately a nut and bolt wouldn't last.
    I think I'll continue as is for the moment anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Depending on when you bought it you should be entitled to a replacement at the point of purchase, I think it's usually about a year for manufacturing faults. If the shop says it was too long ago then contact the manufacturer, many of them will replace a faulty product as a show of good faith (and to stop you from telling people not to buy the pans because the handle falls off) as long as it's within a reasonable time frame. Otherwise a DIY repair shouldn't be too hard, but may spoil the look of the thing a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

kylith wrote: »
    Depending on when you bought it you should be entitled to a replacement at the point of purchase, I think it's usually about a year for manufacturing faults. If the shop says it was too long ago then contact the manufacturer, many of them will replace a faulty product as a show of good faith (and to stop you from telling people not to buy the pans because the handle falls off) to as long as it's within a reasonable time frame. Otherwise a DIY repair shouldn't be too hard, but may spoil the look of the thing a bit.

Cheers, it's over a year, I looked around and the rivet guns are reasonably cheap, so if it deteriorates further I'll attempt the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It still might be worth dropping the manufacturer a line telling them how much you love it, and how disappointed you are that it broke. I had some headphones stop working for no reason recently, after about 18 months of use, and a quick email to the company got a new set sent out to me. Granted, the headphones are probably a damn sight cheaper than your pan, but an email costs nothing, and you never know what might come out of it. At the very least they might start using better rivets.

Advertisement