Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Site Tipp Town - Bones Found??

Options
  • 16-05-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I heard a rumour in town this morning that bones had been found during preliminary site works on the Aldi site - the former Tower Ballroom - in Tipperary Town.

Does anyone have more details?

Interestingly, the scaffolding erected last month around the tower in preparation for restoration (one of the planning conditions) has been taken down.

Hopefully, if an archaeological survey is required, it won't delay or scupper the project as Tipperary would benefit greatly from the extra footfall that Aldi could bring to the centre of town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

i didn't hear anything about the place, but if you look at the ordance survey maps it is close to a rc church
    the ch in chapel is close to the location of the tower, you can check it on their site by overlaying maps. 4tqaea.jpg
    map is from 1829-1842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

An Archaeological Survey would have been done well in advance of the construction and is a necessary requirement of the planning conditions so shouldn't delay anything. An Aldi was built in Callan in Kilkenny in 4 weeks, they're just one big room after all so can't see there being any problems.

Do you really think it will bring extra footfall seeing as there's already a Lidl in town?

hard to see it being of any benefit to the town, 2 supervalus, tesco, lidl and dunnes already in the town.
    the narrow streets and pay parking will put off shoppers going there also.
    mitchell str, davis str and michaels str are all narrow streets where 2 cars have trouble passing each other never mind delivery lorries,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

I live in between Tipp and Cahir. To be honest, I think Aldi would be of benefit. We would regularly take trips to Lidl in Tipp, then go to Cahir when we want Aldi specific items. If Tipp had both, we'd cut out the trip to Cahir altogether. Any items we can't get in either, we get in Tesco in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rowingguy

Many thanks for thise replies, Blackbird and Meathlass.

Many other towns similar to Tipperary, for example Mitchelstown and Thurles, each have an Aldi and Lidl.

What is intesting for Tipp Town is that the Aldi will be located in the centre of town, whereas typically the German discounters go for out-of-town sites.

You righly referred to the parking issues though the application includes parking for 100 car spaces:
    http://www.southtippcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=121909&LASiteID=4

While not being a retail analyst, my instinct is that it will attract more people into the centre of town. Also, the redevelopment will remove this eyesore which has been derelict for far too long. And, finally, both Lidl and Aldi are winning market share from the other major supermarket chains nationally so its likely that the Dunnes, Supervalues and Tesco will find their market share in Tipperary further under pressure once Aldi opens later this year.

Overall, most people will view it as a positive development, especailly consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the town needs industry not another supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

i'd imagine the customer base is finite. therefore all i can see happening is it taking from the others. hope i'm wrong and the place brings extra footfall.

that supervalu on main st looks a right diaster!

digzy wrote: »
    i'd imagine the customer base is finite. therefore all i can see happening is it taking from the others. hope i'm wrong and the place brings extra footfall.

that supervalu on main st looks a right diaster!

its a good shop but customers are spread thin in the town so none of the shops ever look to be doing that good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Back to the bones discussion. Any more truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Paddico wrote: »

I've heard nothing about bones, I live just outside Tipp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Paddico wrote: »

What she said already is what actually happened .....
    Meathlass wrote: »
    An Archaeological Survey would have been done well in advance of the construction and is a necessary requirement of the planning conditions so shouldn't delay anything. .....

There are no reports of anything being found.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Passed that way this morning and diggers seem to be there digging out the site so I presume what ever problem has been sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

ahhhhhh .....

Look one post up from yours

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Cerbera wrote: »
    ahhhhhh .....

Look one post up from yours

:)

I did see that post, work had stopped for a couple of weeks and the local rumour mill had gone into overdrive with stories about bones and aldi pulling out of the site so it's good to see it back in action.

a few pics today of the work that's going on[IMG][/img]xo2x5h.jpg
    [IMG][/img]ruacmb.jpg
    [IMG][/img]2dmf4w1.jpg
    you can see how much the roof has dropped on the left
    [IMG][/img]jztfr9.jpg

the roof had been tilted like that for a while

the roof had been tilted like that for a while

i was just mentioning it for people that may not have noticed,
    I was up it in the late eighty's, you had to bring the ladder up with you up through each floor in order to get to the top, no stairs in it only trap doors.
    not a great view either from the top, it isn't really high enough, you are only looking at back of the buildings on main street.
    as for poster saying it was a pity knock the ballroom, it was in bad condition back then, the balcony was rotten in a lot of places as was the asbestoes roof sheets.
    i also heard the maple floor was rip up a couple years ago. i could be wrong on that as i haven't being in it since back then.
    it would have being a black hole financially to restore it.

i was just mentioning it for people that may not have noticed,
    I was up it in the late eighty's, you had to bring the ladder up with you up through each floor in order to get to the top, no stairs in it only trap doors.
    not a great view either from the top, it isn't really high enough, you are only looking at back of the buildings on main street.
    as for poster saying it was a pity knock the ballroom, it was in bad condition back then, the balcony was rotten in a lot of places as was the asbestoes roof sheets.
    i also heard the maple floor was rip up a couple years ago. i could be wrong on that as i haven't being in it since back then.
    it would have being a black hole financially to restore it.

ya it was not wort restoring but the tower was the oldest part (I'm fairly sure) it was part of the old British town hall which was built in the 1800s.
    I don't see what they could have used the ballroom for even if they restored it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

a few pics today of the work that's going on[IMG][/img]xo2x5h.jpg
    [IMG][/img]ruacmb.jpg
    [IMG][/img]2dmf4w1.jpg
    you can see how much the roof has dropped on the left
    [IMG][/img]jztfr9.jpg

That will look nice now when the Aldi cattle shed goes beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It would look nicer if it was allowed to decay and become a pile of rubble ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement