Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasshouse - Worth it?

• 16-05-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Was hoping that people here could offer me some advice!

Bit of background: This is my first year growing anything. Its been a learning curve and I still don't really know what i'm at, but i'm thoroughly enjoying it! My biggest problem has been getting peas to sprout - iv had about 50% success rate so far - but I haven't managed to kill anything yet that has sprouted!

So here's my dilemma, is it worth the investment of a glass house?

I'm going with a glasshouse because I think there nicer looking, and seem to be more portable (Ill explain in a minute)

So I'v a number of issues:
    1)Being my first year growing anything is it worth the investment? I'm pretty sure I will grow again next year, but it will depend on a number of things which Ill explain next. Would I be mad spending that much in my first year? I'm thinking it would be an investment, but obviously only if I do grow again next year.
    2) How transportable/move-able are glasshouses? Iv read a couple of places online that it is possible, but a very slow process. The reason i'm asking this is that were currently renting a lovely old house in the country, but it will be very cold during the winter and were undecided as to whether we will stay or not. This would mean that the glasshouse may have to be dismantled again in a few months.

I bought a plastic greenhoouse a few weeks ago, but it decided to go for a spin in the first gust of wind. The house is located on quite an open site, and despite putting it in one of the most sheltered places and making it as secure as we could it still took off. Thankfully I had nothing in it. A few days before it took off it started ballooning and knocked some tomatoes onto the ground so I took everything out. I'm a bit scared to put it up again.
    I'm not completely stuck as my mam loves gardening and has a tunnel at home which is 10 mins away, but I'd still love to be able to step outside the door and pick what I wanted when I wanted.

Money isn't quite the issue so much as would I be mad?!

Id love to hear any advice or experiences people have with having a glasshouse!

Cheers

SP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Personally i wouldn't spend a large amount of money on something if it's use in the near future is questionable. It would be a right pain in the arse constructing and then dismantling a greenhouse for the sake of one season. I would wait until your more grounded on what your doing next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well if you buy one and change your mind I'd happily give you half the money to take it off your hands :)
    I would just grow as much as you can this season and see how you feel next winter in the new year. If you start to feel a bit excited about the days getting longer and itch to sow some tomato and pepper seeds then you probably have the bug. Then go ahead and get one. I think you have to experience the heart ache of pests and diseases and losing all your hard work just like that, but still want to keep at it and try again to make a large investment like a greenhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

You can soak peas in water before planting them and this might improve the rate they are germinating at. Old or badly stored seed may have a low germination rate and simply planting more could be the answer to this problem.
    I would not buy a greenhouse just for peas. Since many pea varieties are adapted to cold conditions I would expect to be able to get a better yield out doors once the crop is protected from grazing slugs and pigeons. In your situation you could simply use part of your mothers polytunnel to give seedlings a head start before planting in your own garden if more variety in your crops is what you want.
    It sounds like a glasshouse that would survive in an exposed site like you describe would need to be very solid in construction. Moving this type of glass house and rebuilding it could cost as much as the materials used to build it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Oh no, not thinking of buying the glasshouse for the peas!!! The peas have just proved the most troublesome for me so far. The first lot rotted and a little over half the second lot came up. There from a new packet and I soaked them before sowing them. Its all trial and error!

Iv tomatoes and chillis in pots on the windowsills that I want to get into a glasshouse/tunnel.

It would have to be on solid foundation alright. The garden has high enough walls, but the wind got the better of the plastic one. Its all still intact, i'm just afraid to put it up again!

Haha Redser7, thanks! But I dont think my mammy would refuse the use of a free glasshouse, or me daddy for that matter! His and hers ;-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

First off if you're not in a failrly permanent housing situation I wouldnt dream of getting a glasshouse -- its never worth it and they are not always as easy to move and re-erect as people say.

I've had glasshouses -homemade and professional - and polytunnels - large and small - and I think I'd actually prefer the polytunnel. Main reason is that if you are in an exposed situation they are less of a strain on the pocket and the nervous system :) Years ago we sat and watched as a particularly bad storm took one plate of glass after another and smashed it into bits. If the tunnel takes off across the mountains, well it's not likely to hurt anyone and its a lot easier to replace.
    As well as that having a glasshouse/tunnel is a bit like having a very demanding pet. It needs daily attention, careful, regular watering and feeding, not to mention pest control.
    Thats the down side :)

The positive is that you could have lots and lots of fresh fruit and veg - earlier and later than others and you are independent of the elements to a large degree. You can grow things that others can only dream of -- and you should be able to get 2/3 crops of certain things p.a.

It can be a lot of work but the payback can be great.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I find peas one of the easiest things to grow. I dont pre soak, never have done just pop them in the ground and up they come.
    A raised bed of some description are quite cheap to buy or make.
    Ive even grown them in a big huge cheap plastic pot up canes.
    Slugs and snails seem to leave them alone

Just get a new pack, they are quite cheap.

If you dont fancy glass, then try aluminium. Much cheaper and more perm than a plastic one

Ive a small plastic one which is weighted down with compost bags and nailed to the ground!

But i would say your best bet is to get or make a small raised bed or even a trough. Homebase have a variety of themm from around a tenner, inlcuding ones for kids. Or plastic containers or pots. These will suit cut and come stuff like lettuce, spring onion, herbs etc and even spuds

good luck

Advertisement