Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham Confirms His Retirement

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This thread is a great way of getting an idea of people's age, i.e who didn't watch football from 96-02.

At his peak, he was a terrific player. People saying he couldn't take a player on or couldn't tackle are carrying on a stupid myth. He was very good defensively, a superb provider and above all else, had a fairly ridiculous goalscoring return for a midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Cracking piece on Beckham in The Times :

To a minority, he remains the embodiment of superficial celebrity culture; all image and no substance. The public fascination with Beckham is, to them, an indictment of who we have become as a nation.

To those who have followed his career closely, however, Beckham is quite the opposite. He came from a working-class background in the suburbs of northeast London and through extraordinary dedication reached the summit of one of the fiercest meritocracies in the world.

Even today the 38-year-old arrives for training at Paris Saint-Germain an hour earlier than his team-mates and leaves two hours later. The chefs, who usually knock off at midday, have to stay until 2.30pm to serve his lunch.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/retiring-footballer-david-beckham-a-model-of-persistence-in-all-fields/story-fnb64oi6-1226645226491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He made a lot more ladies interested in the game :P

Will always be a MU legend to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Technique

article232665519dbf4c90.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not a great player? Played a lot of games as one of the first names on the team sheet for Man Utd, Real Madrid and Milan. Greatness does not have to be Messi or Zidane.

Its mad to think he wouldn't actually get near a United best XI or even a United best XI of the Prem era, last 15 years, or whatever

Why has greatness become synonymous with Messi, Zidane, Pele & Maradonna.

Great player for united in a great 4 man midfield and he would WALK into the team now ahead of any of our right wingers, 152 assists in 262 games, yes please.

Can I ask where people are getting the stats on Becks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kryogen wrote: »
    Its mad to think he wouldn't actually get near a United best XI or even a United best XI of the Prem era, last 15 years, or whatever

Of course he would.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Of course he would.

Who do you put him ahead of though?

Ronaldo---Keane----Scholes----Giggs

is pretty solid from the Prem era anyway

You wanna drop Giggs and stick Ronnie on the left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yep. Or Ronaldo could be played as a striker. Best XIs are a very arbitrary thing anyway, but Beckham deserves to be in any of them as much as Giggs, Scholes, RvN, Cantona, Rooney and the like. So saying that he wouldn't get near one just isn't true.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Met him a couple of times when I was younger, great guy and had a lot of time for the fans. Thanks for all of the memories on the pitch for United Becks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As much as I love Beckham the crying tonight was just cheesy as ****.

Cringe.

No one died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I suppose football was such a huge part of his life, and now it's no more.

ROG had a few tears in the eyes after the Heineken Cup semi-final too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Cringe.

No one died.

Ah in fairness it was a lovely ending to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Never got to watch PSG this season, was Becks any use for them or did he just have a few cameos here and there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Montroseee wrote: »
    Never got to watch PSG this season, was Becks any use for them or did he just have a few cameos here and there?

Cameos here and there. Nothing more. Getting sent off was his most significant contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Why can't I find the jersey PSG wore during his last game on their website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I agree with Kyro. Becks wouldn't make into an XI for me. Smashing player tho. Seems like an absolute gent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ician wrote: »
    Why can't I find the jersey PSG wore during his last game on their website?

It's next season's kit and hasn't been released yet.

Take the piss out of the crying all you want but it's just another example of how much the bloke loves playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think Ronaldo played much of his best stuff up front, so I always put him there and Becks on the right. Could you imagine Ronaldo's heading ability being supplied by Beckham's crosses? That would be special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Cringe.

No one died.

I've seen people (tbh all women) cry when they've left my place of work despite spending their last few weeks cutting the back off the place.

I wouldn't blame Becks for a few tears, it'll be a big void in his life to be not playing football, he is giving up something he's loved doing since he was old enough to kick a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kfallon wrote: »
    I've seen people (tbh all women) cry when they've left my place of work despite spending their last few weeks cutting the back off the place.

I wouldn't blame Becks for a few tears, it'll be a big void in his life to be not playing football, he is giving up something he's loved doing since he was old enough to kick a ball.

Tears of joy ;-)

Not so much a problem of crying more the opera that went with it.

Not that it's big issue. More to worry about.

Advertisement