Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Accounting Software

Options
  • 16-05-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My brother has opened a small retail unit and asked me to help him out with the bookkeeping. Any and all recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mods, move if this is the wrong forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Excel. Or Money Manager. Both are really simple and cheap.

Sage are now doing a online product http://www.sageone.ie/ where you can let your accountant have access in real time. It's a few euros a month, It's only new so a bit crap, but I'm sure it'll get there. "I'm using Sage" seems to be the phrase to use in bookkeeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

It's also very good, 3 cheers for FOSS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Thanks guys, I have used accounts production and line 50 in the past, both excellent but unfortunately both costly.

If possible I would like to keep the cost down, i.e nothing. GnuCash looks interesting.

Is there any draw backs with GnuCash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

T-K-O wrote: »
    Is there any draw backs with GnuCash ?

I'm actually pretty amazed there's any open source free accounting software.

In relation to drawbacks, i'm sure there's a few.. it's free after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'm actually pretty amazed there's any open source free accounting software.

In relation to drawbacks, i'm sure there's a few.. it's free after all ;)

Well there is! :D

Guy who have used the software, what do you think of gnucash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

T-K-O wrote: »
    Well there is! :D

Guy who have used the software, what do you think of gnucash?

What Functions do you need it for? Gnu cash hasn't got point of sale for tills.
    If you are quite techie there are fully fledged systems that cover everting . SQL ledger aand compiere(?)spring to mind.

Other simple ones to look at -There's also turbo cash and even the sample data base in access " northwind"

But remember that all of these programs help you record your accounts but you still need accounting know how I.e. dealing with vat returns, depreciation etc

Advertisement