Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on single blade razors?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

In a bid to save money I have ordered a single blade razor complete with leather strop from eBay.

Think this could be very handy given how the supermarkets are unlikely to stock replacement safety blades when the SHTF but am a little concerned about slashing my own jugular being rather contrary to the stated aims of survivalism.

Does anyone have experience with these ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I have a cut throat razor. I found its surprisingly easy to use. But watch a few tutorials on youtube.

Dont shave dry!

For the sake of money.. a few packs of DE razors might be a better choice. Dirt cheap and last ages.

Both choices are awfully manly and satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Lads you need to future proof your razor and get one of these :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

mawk wrote: »
    I have a cut throat razor. I found its surprisingly easy to use. But watch a few tutorials on youtube.

Dont shave dry!

For the sake of money.. a few packs of DE razors might be a better choice. Dirt cheap and last ages.

Both choices are awfully manly and satisfying.

Thanks mawk,

I have just done some quick Googling. The Sun newspaper in the UK says that using a Mach Fusion blade as I do cost a staggering €100 (£83) a year! Hardly surprising when a pack of four blades set me back over 11 Euro last month - I am out of work at the moment and am trying to make each blade last 3 weeks but it makes for a pretty sloppy shave.

Double Edged ones on the other hand seem to be much better value, I hear nothing but good things about the Merkur range and you can get blades from as little as 20 cents each it seems.

Found an Irish website - shaving.ie for traditional shaving supplies - seems you can buy in bulk which sounds ideal. As with everything I think I'll buy two, one for me, one to trade when the SHTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

silentrust wrote: »

Double Edged ones on the other hand seem to be much better value, I hear nothing but good things about the Merkur range and you can get blades from as little as 20 cents each it seems.

Found an Irish website - shaving.ie for traditional shaving supplies - seems you can buy in bulk which sounds ideal. As with everything I think I'll buy two, one for me, one to trade when the SHTF.

Been using a Merkur with feather blades for the past 3 years and will never need to buy another razor. I highly recommend shaving.ie, bought some blades in bulk almost 2 years ago and probably down to my last 25 or so now, so will place another order soon, maybe 5yrs worth this time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Save money grow a beard.

• Advertisement

eirator wrote: »
    Save money grow a beard.

I don't claim to be an expert but I imagine going to my next job interview looking like an Old Testament Prophet might diminish my chances somewhat! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I don't claim to be an expert but I imagine going to my next job interview looking like an Old Testament Prophet might diminish my chances somewhat! :-D

Mora Hunter. I may bleed profusely, but If the SHTF and I need a shave, Mora all the way.
    (yes, I have a beard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

/Cough

Pop over
    <

/cough

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The DE/safety razor is a much better shave than any cartridge razor I've ever used. You can buy a cheap one in most Boots. But the proper all metal German ones should last longer than you. I got the basic starter pack from 4men.ie - has all the basics and they threw in a lot of testers too.
    There are a few threads on the facial hair & hats forum about DE shaving

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Electric razor, recharged via your inverter, charged via solar? (and an excuse to get the last two if you don't already have them!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I keep meaning to get a pair of old fashioned hand hair cutters like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Americaine-Hair-Clippers-Size-0000/dp/B00BFW2HO4/ and see if they'll do a good job at keeping the beard down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I picked up a couple of these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-with-5-Free-Blades-/290893077191?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43ba941ac7#ht_500wt_1054
    and 200 refills http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200-SUPER-MAX-DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-BLADES-/290607584124?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43a98fd37c#ht_500wt_1054
    if i havent shaved in a week with heavy growth it nicks a little but day to day shaving works out great. Plus the blades are handy in survival tins and first aid kits

The DE/safety razor is a much better shave than any cartridge razor I've ever used. You can buy a cheap one in most Boots. But the proper all metal German ones should last longer than you. I got the basic starter pack from 4men.ie - has all the basics and they threw in a lot of testers too.
    There are a few threads on the facial hair & hats forum about DE shaving

Thanks Dingle Berry, I looked on eBay and that shaving dot ie website mentioned before, seems the German ones are around 35 Euro but well worth it if you're making the savings on blades.

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I picked up a couple of these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-with-5-Free-Blades-/290893077191?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43ba941ac7#ht_500wt_1054
    and 200 refills http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200-SUPER-MAX-DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-BLADES-/290607584124?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43a98fd37c#ht_500wt_1054
    if i havent shaved in a week with heavy growth it nicks a little but day to day shaving works out great. Plus the blades are handy in survival tins and first aid kits

That's excellent Shadow Fox thanks, I was actually reading these razor blades can be good for making an improvised crystal radio too!

The blades seem excellent value for money, how long would you say each one lasts you roughly? My Gillette Fusion ones usually lose any effectiveness after around ten days.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Electric razor, recharged via your inverter, charged via solar? (and an excuse to get the last two if you don't already have them!)

Good thinking Tabnabs, I am just not sufficiently au fait with technology to repair the electric razor if it gets clogged on my manly manly whiskers, having said that take a gander at:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/05/stick-this-portable-outlet-to-your-window-to-start-using-solar-power.html

/\ Shut up and take my money! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

That's excellent Shadow Fox thanks, I was actually reading these razor blades can be good for making an improvised crystal radio too!

The blades seem excellent value for money, how long would you say each one lasts you roughly? My Gillette Fusion ones usually lose any effectiveness after around ten days.
    With Gillette Fusion I was using about 20 blades a year with the safety razor I use between 35 and 50 a year also put some in survival tins and first aid kits and abused a few thats why im unsure of the total

ShadowFox wrote: »
    With Gillette Fusion I was using about 20 blades a year with the safety razor I use between 35 and 50 a year also put some in survival tins and first aid kits and abused a few thats why im unsure of the total

Thanks Shadowfox,

Even at the rate of one a week, it would still be a huge saving. Surprising that more men don't do this but I suppose they restrict themselves to whatever is available at the local supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Get yourself some decent shaving soap and a brush and you'll not have to worry about hauling around cans of foam. They last ages and give a much better shave.

Recommend images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2fFuIwhJmaN72Stg1tjDdnkFLFX6urpvFm8b0wFcjr1rhS1pm

and in the BOB images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUZZpiNIiQ_STjUY7Nj6oxVpDc3cAEMvwnG3o-Uup7rjIzSns5

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Get yourself some decent shaving soap and a brush and you'll not have to worry about hauling around cans of foam. They last ages and give a much better shave.

Recommend images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2fFuIwhJmaN72Stg1tjDdnkFLFX6urpvFm8b0wFcjr1rhS1pm

and in the BOB images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUZZpiNIiQ_STjUY7Nj6oxVpDc3cAEMvwnG3o-Uup7rjIzSns5

Thanks HOTAS, my darling girl and I have had some success making soap so plan to try and make our own shaving sticks if possible, will let you know how it goes, if so will post the recipe for you all on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Just started shaving with a Merkur DE razor, using a proper brush and shaving cream, after years of using an electric razor. The normal cartridge razors really don't work for me at all, but I'm loving the DE razor.

Best shave ever, takes longer but immensely satisfying.

Oh, and I recommend the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream and a nice bowl to lather it in with a badger hair brush...

• Advertisement

spynappels wrote: »
    Just started shaving with a Merkur DE razor, using a proper brush and shaving cream, after years of using an electric razor. The normal cartridge razors really don't work for me at all, but I'm loving the DE razor.

Best shave ever, takes longer but immensely satisfying.

Oh, and I recommend the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream and a nice bowl to lather it in with a badger hair brush...

Thanks spynappels, I've heard good things about this razor from others too - considering the Mach Fusion I use costs over 100 Euro a year to run (if you believe Cosmo) it's also a great save as well as a great shave. (Such a comedian...)

Previous poster said he went through a blade a week on average, does that sound fair to you?

Have noted down what you said about badger hair brush, will bear it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Bearing in mind that I've only been shaving like this for a few weeks, and I have a particularly Desperate Dan type of facial hair, and I shave on average 3-4 times a week, I do change the blade every week.

Don't forget that the type of blade makes a difference too, I've been using Merkur blades but am going to try Feather blades next week, to see if they are any better.

Get a trial pack of different types of blades and see which suits your beard and skin best.

spynappels wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that I've only been shaving like this for a few weeks, and I have a particularly Desperate Dan type of facial hair, and I shave on average 3-4 times a week, I do change the blade every week.

Don't forget that the type of blade makes a difference too, I've been using Merkur blades but am going to try Feather blades next week, to see if they are any better.

Get a trial pack of different types of blades and see which suits your beard and skin best.

Thanks chief, I've been checking out the shaving.ie website and it seems that there are several different types there so a little of everything seems to be the key. It's fantastic knowing how cheap they are, will stockpile a bumper back of 1,000 come Armageddon. (As in "Armageddon outta here.")

Advertisement