Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

I see there's a second crane onsite now at the new control tower. I presume that means they are about to start lifting some heavier stuff into place on top of the concrete shaft. Might try and get a photo later as it's a very impressive looking machine.

plodder wrote: »
    I see there's a second crane onsite now at the new control tower. I presume that means they are about to start lifting some heavier stuff into place on top of the concrete shaft. Might try and get a photo later as it's a very impressive looking machine.

Lower portion of the cab will be lifted in to place shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Lower portion of the cab will be lifted in to place shortly.

Serious amount of people out there with cameras pointing towards the tower

roadmaster wrote: »
    Serious amount of people out there with cameras pointing towards the tower

Meh I'll wait till they put the proper cab on and not just the collar.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Heres a few pics from new tower site earlier.Was sore on the neck looking up that high...

• Advertisement

And to prove that the triangular peg actually does fit in the triangular slot, here's one taken about 20 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I seen a girl from arups using what i think was a total station at the time back towards the runway. Would she of being doing height calulations or something or was it something totally different

And to prove that the triangular peg actually does fit in the triangular slot, here's one taken about 20 minutes ago.

Coudnt wait to see that, wind picked up and they stalled... They finished, obviously..

antob wrote: »
    Coudnt wait to see that, wind picked up and they stalled... They finished, obviously..
    They seemed to be getting ready to lift the second section this morning.

They seemed to be getting ready to lift the second section this morning.
    Was talking to some of the "Bam construction" guys yesterday.Even they were not sure when next stage would happen. Might take a spin up later and see if 2nd part is on way up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Quote from the Aer Lingus thread:
    75% of the time when I arrive back into Dublin I have to make a PA apologising for the delay in disembarking due to a lack of marshallers and then people to drive the jetbridge to the aircraft. If its the south stands then the punters are kept onboard whilst the marshalling staff run between flights as there are not enough of them.
    Why are marshallers still being used at DUB? No visual docking systems still even at "state of the art" T2?
    If all these staff were released for other duties maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Mebuntu wrote: »

Why are marshallers still being used at DUB? No visual docking systems still even at "state of the art" T2?
    If all these staff were released for other duties maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

There's one Safedock at the stand Etihad use at T1. I've heard of plans to roll it out across the whole airport. But cant say when.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

There's one Safedock at the stand Etihad use at T1. I've heard of plans to roll it out across the whole airport. But cant say when.

There's a few on T1 pier B 313c,314c,316c,318C

Plans are in place to put them on nearly all stands (over 100 of them). Along with underground fuelling.

Plans are in place to put them on nearly all stands (over 100 of them). Along with underground fuelling.

It'll allow 409C be used for widebody aircraft too one it's installed there.

Bussywussy wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the problem is more 'lack of stands' rather than 'lack of marshallers'.
    The quote about would be more related to the airline/handling agent that the airport itself.

Thanks for the clarification.

Some stands are mandatory too...313 or 314 I think...no marshalling allowed, I saw a guy get reamed by ops :-)

Some stands are mandatory too...313 or 314 I think...no marshalling allowed, I saw a guy get reamed by ops :-)

I heard that yeah. Was told of a story during a windstorm last winter that a light had broke above the stand EY was about to park at. They couldn't use the stand and requested to use the next one over which had safedock but it was inop. They were told that becuase safedock is at that stand they weren't allowed have a marshall come out to them... in the end the light blowing in the wind was secured and they got into the original stand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I heard that yeah. Was told of a story during a windstorm last winter that a light had broke above the stand EY was about to park at. They couldn't use the stand and requested to use the next one over which had safedock but it was inop. They were told that becuase safedock is at that stand they weren't allowed have a marshall come out to them... in the end the light blowing in the wind was secured and they got into the original stand.

Is that an actual joke how ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

. They were told that because safedock is at that stand they weren't allowed have a marshall come out to them
    Can someone provide an explanation as to why a marshaller was "not allowed". Not allowed by who(m)?

Locker10a wrote: »

Its what I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Most European airports allow an Ops vehicle to marshal you on stand if the guidance system fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I know there are some stands too where a marshaller would have to walk backwards onto the apron road if they are guiding a widebody onto stands, hence the automatic docking guidance was installed. There's also the EASA regulation that clearances from the plane to fixed objects have to be more if a marshaller is used instead of docking guidance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Depending on the space between the hammerhead and the terminal structure, in some (widebody) cases, it's not possible for a marshaller to get far enough back from the nose of the aircraft to be seen by the crew. There is then also the problem that was just mentioned of roadways, and suddenly, one marshaller becomes 4, the man with the batons, a second person by the hammerhead line to indicate when the nosewheel is on the line, and two other people to ensure that a vehicle doesn't get into the sight lines at a critical moment. On some stands, there can also be issues with the marshaller being able to see the people who are (supposed to be) there to ensure wing tip clearance.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Depending on the space between the hammerhead and the terminal structure, in some (widebody) cases, it's not possible for a marshaller to get far enough back from the nose of the aircraft to be seen by the crew. There is then also the problem that was just mentioned of roadways, and suddenly, one marshaller becomes 4, the man with the batons, a second person by the hammerhead line to indicate when the nosewheel is on the line, and two other people to ensure that a vehicle doesn't get into the sight lines at a critical moment. On some stands, there can also be issues with the marshaller being able to see the people who are (supposed to be) there to ensure wing tip clearance.

See, if people would stop automatically jumping to conclusions that things are ridiculous without first seeking an explanation we could have saved ourselves half a dozen posts of outrage. Usually there is a very good reason why something is done.

I’ve seen videos of Marshallers having to stand on top of steps at some airports to be seen by the pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I’ve seen videos of Marshallers having to stand on top of steps at some airports to be seen by the pilots.

Happens at least twice a day in DUB when the Emirates arrives on 400C. Steps left there permanently for that reason only.

Think a smaller set of steps on 408C in use while construction still going on at T2.

Locker10a wrote: »

By chance, last night I met up with the person working during the incident I mentioned yesterday, so I asked him again what happened. Admittedly I got a couple of aspects wrong, but briefly it was the following;

• EY had arrived during one of the heavy storms last winter
    • A fixing holding a light was blowing in the wind (he didn't mention if it broke, just that it was blowing around) and interfered with the safedock, which he said can be very temperamental at the best of times
    • EY requested a marshaller but were told that they were not permitted on that particular stand, he recalls it being 316 but isn't 100% certain

I said yesterday they had requested another stand but that was incorrect. The fixing was secured and EY eventually taxied in. I hope that provides some clarity and apologies for posting about an incident where my memory wasn't as accurate as I believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular reason why you have to go into the south gates building only to go back out to the bus again? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it at least adds a couple of minutes to the bus boarding and seems a bit pointless. Surely walking straight to the buses like other airlines do is a bit more efficient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is a particular reason why you have to go into the south gates building only to go back out to the bus again? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it at least adds a couple of minutes to the bus boarding and seems a bit pointless. Surely walking straight to the buses like other airlines do is a bit more efficient?

I would hazard a guess that by sending people straight into the south gates they can wait there if no bus is available, and have some facilities.
    That means the aircraft can be cleaned and serviced and crew can leave, not sit onboard waiting for a bus with the passengers.
    Im sure there are other reasons too.

Advertisement