Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is a particular reason why you have to go into the south gates building only to go back out to the bus again? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it at least adds a couple of minutes to the bus boarding and seems a bit pointless. Surely walking straight to the buses like other airlines do is a bit more efficient?
    Ive never been through them but if there is a holding area for arriving passengers I’d say it’s so the aircraft you just disembarked can be turned around on time for its next departure!?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ive never been through them but if there is a holding area for arriving passengers I’d say it’s so the aircraft you just disembarked can be turned around on time for its next departure!?

Not so much a holding area, like we just walked through it and back out a door beside the door we entered as the buses were waiting, hence my confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Much as I hate to say it , I think its because theres limited space for debarking a bunch ( couple of planeloads simultaneously ) of passengers at the airside T2 ports By far the best solution here is an up and over walkway to immigration

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    Much as I hate to say it , I think its because theres limited space for debarking a bunch ( couple of planeloads simultaneously ) of passengers at the airside T2 ports By far the best solution here is an up and over walkway to immigration
    I really feel embarrassed for the whole design team of T2 that within 10 years of it opening it doesn’t have capacity for all flights and a basic prefab has had to be built to handle the capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Locker10a wrote: »
    I really feel embarrassed for the whole design team of T2 that within 10 years of it opening it doesn’t have capacity for all flights and a basic prefab has had to be built to handle the capacity
    I was just thinking back to when it was being planned/built and the usual nay-sayers (mostly economists) were predicting doom and gloom for the project. So, I had a quick search for what is still out there. Came across this gem from Shane Ross (on his own website :) )

http://www.shaneross.ie/iceman-cometh-to-terminal-2/
    (Declan) Collier has built the T2 white elephant, destined to be the most underused terminal in Europe. It has cost hundreds of millions at a time when the State hasn’t a bean.

The DAA dinosaur is desperate to force tenants like ICE into its T2 baby. It will be fascinating to find out what incentives have been offered to potential occupants. Make no mistake, the main bait will be that it is open season on the passengers. Aer Lingus has already pulled a peach of a deal in T2. Without Aer Lingus, the DAA was facing a terminal without airplanes. Now it will only be a terminal without passengers.

Spinners at the DAA are suddenly bleating pathetically that T2 is a “90-year project”!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

plodder wrote: »
    I was just thinking back to when it was being planned/built and the usual nay-sayers (mostly economists) were predicting doom and gloom for the project. So, I had a quick search for what is still out there. Came across this gem from Shane Ross (on his own website :) )

Comedy gold if it wasn't so tragic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Lack of gate space really showed today, the Icelandair went to the threshold of 16 for a few until the Turkish pushed back, the EK was taxiing in, saw it behind the Icelandair (which was on the 200s), I got off the Icelandair & I see the EK down at 16 too, think a delayed AA held the EK up.

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular reason why you have to go into the south gates building only to go back out to the bus again? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it at least adds a couple of minutes to the bus boarding and seems a bit pointless. Surely walking straight to the buses like other airlines do is a bit more efficient?

Better customer experience, I’ve had to stand waiting on airplanes for buses in many airports. Where as this at Dublin you get off the airplane to one shuttle bus service that is working on a loop rather than waiting on dedicated buses that are busy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

EICVD wrote:
    Lack of gate space really showed today, the Icelandair went to the threshold of 16 for a few until the Turkish pushed back, the EK was taxiing in, saw it behind the Icelandair (which was on the 200s), I got off the Icelandair & I see the EK down at 16 too, think a delayed AA held the EK up.

Approx 4 landing 330s were taxied up 34 to the 16 threshold this morning, long circuitous route to Pier 3 or 4.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

plodder wrote: »

And we will hear the exact same rubbish when Terminal 3 is eventually allowed to go ahead. And with the Metro.

We heard the same rubbish in relation to the DART, Luas, some of the interurban motorways, Knock Airport etc. It's so typically Irish. Criticise it for being a white elephant and ten years later criticise the side effects of under capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

marno21 wrote:
    We heard the same rubbish in relation to the DART, Luas, some of the interurban motorways, Knock Airport etc. It's so typically Irish. Criticise it for being a white elephant and ten years later criticise the side effects of under capacity.

And don't forget the Port Tunnel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

rushfan wrote: »
    And don't forget the Port Tunnel too.

We were even told the Dublin bike scheme was a waste sure they’d all be thrown in the Liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

We cant have pax walk onto other stands and over crowding around stand areas.
    Jacovs wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that by sending people straight into the south gates they can wait there if no bus is available, and have some facilities.
    That means the aircraft can be cleaned and serviced and crew can leave, not sit onboard waiting for a bus with the passengers.
    Im sure there are other reasons too.
    This is exactly the main reason behind it, even if it is unliked by the majority of passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Will the new Cathay flight have to be moved off stand considering it's a long turnaround??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Will the new Cathay flight have to be moved off stand considering it's a long turnaround??

Air bridge was disconnected when I looked a few minutes ago.

Exciting times. I particularly like the improvised A350-900 spray paint!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Yes to West apron.

Passenger on board tweeted there was a twenty minute delay connecting the airbridge on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

de biz wrote: »
    Yes to West apron.

Passenger on board tweeted there was a twenty minute delay connecting the airbridge on arrival.

Dont think west apron, think to a remote stand around 138-140 somewhere so it can be serviced still. Could be wrong though.
    Not sure I can say why the delay to the airbridge happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jacovs wrote: »
    Dont think west apron, think to a remote stand around 138-140 somewhere so it can be serviced still. Could be wrong though.
    Not sure I can say why the delay to the airbridge happened.

Airbridge is too small for the A350, they need to disconnect some sensors and hydraulics etc to get it to go higher to meet the door properly

billie1b wrote: »
    Airbridge is too small for the A350, they need to disconnect some sensors and hydraulics etc to get it to go higher to meet the door properly

What he said.

It was pointed out to the DAA twice before when there were A350 diverts, so not like it came as a surprise to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

de biz wrote: »
    Yes to West apron.

Airbridge failed and pax were unloaded by stairs on apron.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Noxegon wrote: »
    Air bridge was disconnected when I looked a few minutes ago.

Exciting times. I particularly like the improvised A350-900 spray paint!
    I saw that pic on facebook. A shocking oversight.
    That was a bit Craggy Island.
    Sure, this route and aircraft was obviously only decided overnight, the poor DAA didnt have time to actually get a cardboard cut-out of the aircraft type before spraying the hammerhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why is gating being installed in the arrivals T2 main corridor ? i.e. before you get to immigration ? I cannot imagine its to protect backflow as theres no way to departures from there

Why is gating being installed in the arrivals T2 main corridor ? i.e. before you get to immigration ? I cannot imagine its to protect backflow as theres no way to departures from there

I cant confirm, but I would imagine its to do with the new bit they added onto the side of T2, so any arriving passengers on buses go the right direction to immigration and not back down the corridor to aircraft that are busy disembarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Is it to do with the new transfer facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

They are non return doors required as part of the new Transfers Facility, related to keeping third state passengers isolated.

Airbridge failed and pax were unloaded by stairs on apron.

Turns out the hammerhead was in completely the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Is it to do with the new transfer facility?
    They are non return doors required as part of the new Transfers Facility, related to keeping third state passengers isolated.

with the exception to EK pax, as they will arrive into immigration and connect via the current flight connections center.

The no return gates that are being installed is to direct pax to the new under construction connections facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/growth-may-grind-to-a-halt-says-aer-lingus-37017916.html

Dublin airport was not yet functioning as a hub "and is not designed as such."

T2 was built in a confined space with no room for expansion so, in terms of a hub, what exactly are Aer Lingus looking for the DAA to do? Obviously, they want easy transfers to/from T2 from all other piers but, with DUB being a ragball design of an airport with more bits and pieces than a huckster shop, how can this be achieved practically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Mebuntu wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/growth-may-grind-to-a-halt-says-aer-lingus-37017916.html

Dublin airport was not yet functioning as a hub "and is not designed as such."

T2 was built in a confined space with no room for expansion so, in terms of a hub, what exactly are Aer Lingus looking for the DAA to do? Obviously, they want easy transfers to/from T2 from all other piers but, with DUB being a ragball design of an airport with more bits and pieces than a huckster shop, how can this be achieved practically.

Its hard to design a terminal for a carrier who has changed its business model 3 times in the last 15-20 years or so!

Its just PR from EI with empty threats, they support more stands but don't support for example a new pier to give a true passenger experience.

Ideally a new pier should be built but it won't happen for a while.

• Advertisement

They might want to look a bit closer to home before going at the DAA

Advertisement