Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

It will take several years to sort out that particular problem - a second runway won't do much either for the foreseeable.

Why dont they use busing a hell of a lot more - even if you put 4 of the A330s on a remote stand and I mean the apron over near the tower and bus the passengers to-and-from

surely that would help with the movements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

RTE stating that construction of the new runway isn't to start until 2021 now because of Shane Ross' incompetence. The place would grind to a half if that were the case, surely it should say completed by 2021?
    Construction of the proposed new runway at Dublin Airport will begin in March 2021, according to the Minister for Transport.

Shane Ross, who was before the Oireachtas Transport Committee, outlined the legislative and planning process in relation to the runway.

Fingal County Council will be the airport noise regulator on the project, while planning regulation will come under An Bord Pleanála, he said.

Mr Ross told the committee that he expected the Airport Noise Regulation Bill would be enacted by the end of the year and the regulatory process would be completed by 2020.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0711/977942-dublin-airport-runway/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

at a 6-10% growth rate p.a its going to be like the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RTE stating that construction of the new runway isn't to start until 2021 now because of Shane Ross' incompetence. The place would grind to a half if that were the case, surely it should say completed by 2021?

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0711/977942-dublin-airport-runway/

Why would that delay construction? DAA have said that it will be finished by 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Why would that delay construction? DAA have said that it will be finished by 2021.

More than likely just Ross not having a clue again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross said Thursday in a written answer that the runway will open in 2021:

The daa - which has statutory responsibility to manage, operate and develop Dublin Airport – announced the commencement of the North Runway project in April 2016. Preliminary works under the first phase of construction, including preparation of the site, realignment/building of new roads, fencing and landscaping, were completed in late 2017. The procurement process for the main construction works on the runway itself is now underway and is expected to be completed by Q3 2018 with construction to commence thereafter.

All pre-construction conditions attached to the 2007 planning permission were completed to the satisfaction of Fingal County Council prior to the commencement of preliminary works. This included the putting in place of a voluntary purchase scheme for dwellings, together with a property insulation scheme for homes and schools.

The daa has also undertaken a range of other measures to communicate with all stakeholders, e.g., written communications, newsletters, public meetings, information sessions and on-to-one meetings where requested. I have also personally met with a number of residents groups to hear their views and concerns and ensured that these concerns were passed on to the daa.

The daa expect that the runway will be operational in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fingal CC have failed to clear the halting site that has to be removed and their clumsy (being polite) planning application for a replacement site will be shredded in the courts.

That's a good years delay on its own. FCC knew this had to be done a decade ago and only tried to rush it through at the last moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

L1011 wrote: »
    Fingal CC have failed to clear the halting site that has to be removed and their clumsy (being polite) planning application for a replacement site will be shredded in the courts.

That's a good years delay on its own. FCC knew this had to be done a decade ago and only tried to rush it through at the last moment
    The halting site is right on the edge of the site, and while it can't stay there, I don't see how construction of the runway would be affected by it. There's been construction of other facilities closer to it, for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭roadmaster

plodder wrote: »
    The halting site is right on the edge of the site, and while it can't stay there, I don't see how construction of the runway would be affected by it. There's been construction of other facilities closer to it, for the last few years.

From an Engineering point of view i think you are right there is nothing stopping construction but i think the fear the DAA would have is come 2021 the runway is finished and ready to go but the offical opening of the runway cant happen for safety reasons due to the caravans still there. Then are very lazy press have on the front pages dublin airport white elephant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Vueling 320 pulled up a patch repair during push back at pier 2:eek:
    456483.jpg

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    From an Engineering point of view i think you are right there is nothing stopping construction but i think the fear the DAA would have is come 2021 the runway is finished and ready to go but the offical opening of the runway cant happen for safety reasons due to the caravans still there. Then are very lazy press have on the front pages dublin airport white elephant etc.

Construction works start in Q1 2019 at the 10 left end and progress eastwards to not impact airport ops till they really need to. There is three years before they really need to have moved the halting site from where it is. There is no immediate rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Construction works start in Q1 2019 at the 10 left end and progress eastwards to not impact airport ops till they really need to. There is three years before they really need to have moved the halting site from where it is. There is no immediate rush.

With the carry on in this country could you be certain they would be gone in 3 years

roadmaster wrote: »
    With the carry on in this country could you be certain they would be gone in 3 years

Of course not. They’ll be bought off and moved somewhere, where that somewhere is who knows.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Of course not. They’ll be bought off and moved somewhere, where that somewhere is who knows.

the somewhere at the moment is highly controversial, as it's about 10 Metres from the Fingal border with Meath, at Coolquoy, and on a piece of land that's prone to flooding. Local area are fighting it all the way, but Fingal CC are making it hard to fight them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

the somewhere at the moment is highly controversial, as it's about 10 Metres from the Fingal border with Meath, at Coolquoy, and on a piece of land that's prone to flooding. Local area are fighting it all the way, but Fingal CC are making it hard to fight them.

Yeah I was doing my best to stay out of that debate.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Anybody with their ear to the ground know what compensation they are getting?
    Residents were offered market plus 30%, what's a halting site worth?

Neilw wrote: »

There "demands" varied I heard but most were looking for a six figure sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Seeing as the criteria for the residential purchase scheme only values the dwelling on the property, not outbuildings or land how can they justify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

whats the plan? move them another few hundred meters away and have to buy them out again in 20-30 years? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/publication/files/coda-digest-annual-2017.pdf

Be more like Gatwick they say, oh Gatwick is so very efficient they say. Well pages 21 and 22 make a mockery of those claims. Note Dublin doesn’t even feature in either list.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Why should they be getting anything. Is it their land?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Idbatterim wrote:
    whats the plan? move them another few hundred meters away and have to buy them out again in 20-30 years?

This carry on needs to be stopped. They allow illegals to delay this critical piece of infrastructure.

no.8 wrote: »
    This carry on needs to be stopped. They allow illegals to delay this critical piece of infrastructure.

Nothing is being delayed...................yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,728 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's going on here, at the entrance to the airport?

DizFJO3XUAIESEj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Where about is it? Possibly just part of the Airport Central scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Exactly...should just build a high power engine test site near it for a while, they won't be long moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

What's going on here, at the entrance to the airport?

Office block as far as I know. Not airport related.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I think there is someone on here who works at Dublin airport who knows of the movements of non commercial flights.

Is there any chance that that someone could me a DM?
    I am looking for something that is die in this week.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Neilw wrote: »

I heard from a fairly well placed source last week that a major sticking point is the number of caravans on the site increased by fourfold when word of possible compensation circulated.
    Fingal CoCo are responsible for negotiations with the halting site residents, and supposedly the number of "claimants" appearing at the site is causing some of the delays in negotiations

Advertisement