Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What I will say is that Dublin is a lovely airport to fly out of, but not a great to fly in to. DAA couldn't give a fiddlers about arriving passengers.

And the link to the city is extraordinarily bad. There are very few airports in Europe anymore where a 15 minute train into the CC is possible. It should be possible with Dublin. Vienna springs to mind, but London certainly not anyway.

Dublin airport is 9km from the City center. The equivalent distance when it comes to Gatwick or Heathrow (40km) is roughly Drogheda.

Dublin airport to Dublin city center is shorter in distance than London City Airport is to St Pauls Cathedral. We should be able to market the hell out of that, but we can't as the transport links from the airport are shocking.
    Absolutely shocking, a national disgrace.
    In the past week I know someone who waited TWO hours for a taxi, another was waiting for a 16 bus around 11pm, the board said the bus would arrive in a few mins, the arrival time of the 16 disappeared off the board and bewildered foreign visitors were left stranded!
    I'm not far from the airport and I got a call asking would I collect this stranded and angry would be bus passenger and this was only around 11.30pm!
    What is wrong with the Irish? We couldn't organise a pi55 up in a brewery!
    * There was something about a 900m development at Dub A on the RTE 10 o clock news just now, planning permission should be refused until there is a rail link into the city but that ins't going to happen in this country. Ah shure it'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

In the past week I know someone who waited TWO hours for a taxi, another was waiting for a 16 bus around 11pm, the board said the bus would arrive in a few mins, the arrival time of the 16 disappeared off the board and bewildered foreign visitors were left stranded!
    I'm not far from the airport and I got a call asking would I collect this stranded and angry would be bus passenger and this was only around 11.30pm!
    * There was something about a 900m development at Dub A on the RTE 10 o clock news just now, planning permission should be refused until there is a rail link into the city but that ins't going to happen in this country. Ah shure it'll be grand!
    Neither of those would be resolved by the Airport metro, the Airport Metro is only gonna replace the Aircoach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    I must have missed this. This is by far the biggest hyperbole on this board for years. DAA is a complete joke that care more for their airlines than their passengers. IT IS A KIP. As someone who has to travel through once or twice a week ( not by choice) its awful and does not show Ireland well at all to inbounds.

Any metaphor you care to use - a car park that happens to have an airport, a pension plan with a runway , DAA has deservedly got them all.

A privately owned terminal would break up this monopoly and allow for some competition at least.

I think you'll find you do have a choice!

Presumably this travel is work related?

You would have chosen that job. If travelling is so horrible an experience for you, perhaps you need to choose a new job that doesn't require you to travel that much?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Neither of those would be resolved by the Airport metro, the Airport Metro is only gonna replace the Aircoach.
    I see. We need more traffic on the roads then? Even Lisbon can have a metro from the airport into the city. Portugal didn't join the EU until 1992 - a full 20 years after we did.
    I'm not sure what you mean about a metro only replacing the aircoach, wouldn't a metro north not serve large areas of north Dublin as well as the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I think you'll find you do have a choice!

Presumably this travel is work related?

You would have chosen that job. If travelling is so horrible an experience for you, perhaps you need to choose a new job that doesn't require you to travel that much?

Must be wonderful sitting in that Ivory tower. Imagine if the business you tried to grow became large, necessitating travel to other places to help further grow that business. If all you can do is snide responses like that, you need to take a long look at yourself.

My cribs with the airport and its agencies are mine. I genuinely think its a woeful and poor experience (T2 outbound included, although that is mediocre rather than awful ). If you don't like what I post theres an ignore button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I see. We need more traffic on the roads then? Even Lisbon can have a metro from the airport into the city. Portugal didn't join the EU until 1992 - a full 20 years after we did.
    I'm not sure what you mean about a metro only replacing the aircoach, wouldn't a metro north not serve large areas of north Dublin as well as the airport?

Lisbon started building its metro under its fascist government. Porto on the other hand is their vastly smaller second city in an extremely poor region and has a metro from the airport!

Must be wonderful sitting in that Ivory tower. Imagine if the business you tried to grow became large, necessitating travel to other places to help further grow that business. If all you can do is snide responses like that, you need to take a long look at yourself.

My cribs with the airport and its agencies are mine. I genuinely think its a woeful and poor experience (T2 outbound included, although that is mediocre rather than awful ). If you don't like what I post theres an ignore button.

I was not making a snide remark, and frankly your reply is somewhat condescending. Honestly it genuinely sounds from your posts as if you hate travelling through the airport. That's why I made the comment. I also didn't make any comment suggesting I don't like what you posted. I was merely merely pointing out that we all have choices in life.

Sometimes in life you need to stand back and make a lifestyle choice. I did precisely that some time ago rather than have an extended commute which I found very frustrating. And life is much easier these days.

I accept that we are all different, but sometimes putting yourself through unnecessary stress (as you seem to be) may not be the best choice to make!

That's all I was suggesting. Nothing to do with ivory towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Im sure you raised the problem with Dublin Bus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I recently did the Maglev from Shanghai Airport. At a top speed of 431km/h it would do the trip into Dublin in about 90 seconds :D

We should go for something similar.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I recently did the Maglev from Shanghai Airport. At a top speed of 431km/h it would do the trip into Dublin in about 90 seconds :D

We should go for something similar.
    We are told there isn't the money for a rapid rail from the airport into the city but there always seems to be adequate funds to get more and more cars on to the roads. The Port tunnel, the 'upgrades' to the M50 and Newlands Cross about €3 billion give or take a hundred mil or two!
    The government or should I say successive governments need the revenue that motorists bring in so the more cars on the roads the better! If some people spend more time sitting in their cars, Monday to Friday, then they do with their kids then tough s***.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

You could be right. The drawings are on the fingal Coco website.

late reply, but if anyone wants a link to see the plans.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00610943.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

You seem to have ignored my question - if DUB is such a "woeful and poor experience" can you give us a few examples of airports of comparable size that in your experience are much better run than DUB? That the DAA could presumably take lessons from?

Nobody I know who travels frequently has such a negative opinion of DUB, so I'm very to curious to hear where you're comparing it to that it comes off so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

BLut2 I didnt ignore the post seems to have not taken yesterday.

1. LGW
    2.. Malaga
    3. Dusseldorf
    4. Edinburgh

All better airports in my view and of a comparable scale . I actively like going through those airports
    ( Yes EDI is smaller )

In work many people share my dislike for dub airport. I am not going to rant here it inevitably descends into "well this is not what this forum is for"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It would serve Ballymun, Glasnevin etc but not anywhere on the 16. Glad you raised the disappearing bus with DB, but Metrolink isn't going to replace that

I never said anything about traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

1. LGW
    2.. Malaga
    3. Dusseldorf
    4. Edinburgh

All better airports in my view and of a comparable scale . I actively like going through those airports
    ( Yes EDI is smaller )

In work many people share my dislike for dub airport. I am not going to rant here it inevitably descends into "well this is not what this forum is for"

EDI better than DUB when were you last there, not much better than DUB 10 years ago...

All but LGW handles less and in some cases significantly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

1. LGW
    2.. Malaga
    3. Dusseldorf
    4. Edinburgh

( Yes EDI is smaller )

I was through EDI last weekend and it hasn't a patch on DUB (T1 or T2)

Gatwick is certainly my preferred London airport but I don't see anything about it better than Dublin that's worth remarking on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As someone in and out of T2 regularly in the last year, it is not a kip. There are some long walks depending on the gate..

The only thing wrong is disembarking at the "South Gates" no mans land and bussed back to the actual empty terminal which is misery. They should be strictly off limits except for the morning peak..

I've used Gatwick a few times in the last few years and sorry it is terrible compared to Dublin. Walk off via an airbridge nd exit down the stairs to be bussed back to the arrivals haul ?! Everyone being contained in the very busy shopping areas. Then when your gate is announced you get crammed in to a small holding area with very few seats even for a 737/320. How on earth is that better than Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would like to see greater investment in Cork and Shannon airport. Wonder what percentage of passengers from there have no choice but to fly from Dublin..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would like to see greater investment in Cork and Shannon airport. Wonder what percentage of passengers from there have no choice but to fly from Dublin..

Not enough to get airlines to put on flights or they'd already be serving those two airports.

• Advertisement

Not enough to get airlines to put on flights or they'd already be serving those two airports.

I think it's a bit of chicken and egg scenario. Airlines like Ryanair seem content to have most of their flights from Dublin and people from Cork say to travel up on Aircoach. Difficult then for them to have any incentive to start growing operation in Cork.

Currently, can only fly to UK airports in London and Liverpool from Cork with Ryanair. For second city, that doesn't seem ideal. In general flight offerings from there are very poor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's not the airlines fault. It's the people who complain that "Cork Airport is ****" and will go onto FR.com and book Dublin-London etc without even checking flights ex Cork and then proceed to give out about how **** the long Aircoach journey is

Then you have people who will happily traipse up to Dublin to save an amount of money that is slightly more than the cost of the Aircoach and waste 6 hours of their lives on the M8.

These people are fools but ite not the airlines problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They shouldn’t have to drive up. There should be a flight linking Dublin and cork. That should have been made a condition of the Aer Lingus sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of chicken and egg scenario. Airlines like Ryanair seem content to have most of their flights from Dublin and people from Cork say to travel up on Aircoach. Difficult then for them to have any incentive to start growing operation in Cork.

Currently, can only fly to UK airports in London and Liverpool from Cork with Ryanair. For second city, that doesn't seem ideal. In general flight offerings from there are very poor.
    Mad that you can’t fly to Manchester from there. Glasgow or Edinburgh?

marno21 wrote: »
    It's not the airlines fault. It's the people who complain that "Cork Airport is ****" and will go onto FR.com and book Dublin-London etc without even checking flights ex Cork and then proceed to give out about how **** the long Aircoach journey is

Then you have people who will happily traipse up to Dublin to save an amount of money that is slightly more than the cost of the Aircoach and waste 6 hours of their lives on the M8.

These people are fools but ite not the airlines problem

That only plays a part in routes that overlap, vast majority of routes from Dublin aren't even available to begin with so doubt it's a significant feature

Idbatterim wrote: »

Not with Ryanair as far as I know. With Aer Lingus/Stobart Air there's probably option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

They shouldn’t have to drive up. There should be a flight linking Dublin and cork. That should have been made a condition of the Aer Lingus sale!

Why should they be forced to operate a flight that they clearly didn't see as viable before the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A Dublin to Cork flight would be almost completely unused, I would expect. For most people it's just not worth the hassle of an extra flight to save 1 hour driving. Prior to the M8 upgrade I'm sure it would have been worthwhile, but not anymore.

You can.

EI Regional fly from Cork to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Southampton year round, and to Newquay in the summer only, and Flybe to Cardiff.

There are more airlines than Ryanair out there.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It would serve Ballymun, Glasnevin etc but not anywhere on the 16. Glad you raised the disappearing bus with DB, but Metrolink isn't going to replace that

I never said anything about traffic.
    Im sure you raised the problem with Dublin Bus....
    I guess this forum and the sarcasm that goes with it isn't the place for me, I'm looking at the bigger picture as I see even residential areas becoming congested on the northside of Dublin.
    Where will the traffic go then? I'm trying to think what will it be like in 5, 10 years from now and its not looking good as inevitably it will have a detrimental effect on the economy as Dublin will be a place where it will be impossible to do business. I guess I'll just have to accept the fact I live in a country where politicians can see no further than the next election and everything is put on the long finger. Bye.

Advertisement