Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its the nature of politics in this country unfortunately. Each party is essentially preaching the same message and none want to sort out any major infrastructural issues for fear of creating a white elephant. There is also nothing to be gained for them in investing in a project that will span 2-3 election terms potentially. Instead its parish pump politics and hand out a few sweets before the next election to cling onto power at all costs. Not that the latter appears to matter all that much as many politicians would seem to be just as happy to sit in opposition arguing from the sidelines so long as they can ensure their final salary pension is preserved. Have a first past the post voting system and you might get some change potentially.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of chicken and egg scenario. Airlines like Ryanair seem content to have most of their flights from Dublin and people from Cork say to travel up on Aircoach. Difficult then for them to have any incentive to start growing operation in Cork.

Currently, can only fly to UK airports in London and Liverpool from Cork with Ryanair. For second city, that doesn't seem ideal. In general flight offerings from there are very poor.

Airlines have tried that at Shannon and Cork and have regularly been let down by the local market.

There is no point in adding gold taps and marble toilets if there is already lots of spare capacity in underused airports. I’m not sure what sort of investment you think is needed that will miraculously make people use the airports. Both airports are struggling to keep their heads above the water, there is no point in them taking on additional debt in the vain effort of it bringing in more passengers.

I see the same thing being said on Facebook pages every week. The reason the fares are slightly lower in Dublin is because of competition. There’s competition because more people are interested in using Dublin.

I guess this forum and the sarcasm that goes with it isn't the place for me, I'm looking at the bigger picture as I see even residential areas becoming congested on the northside of Dublin.
    Where will the traffic go then? I'm trying to think what will it be like in 5, 10 years from now and its not looking good as inevitably it will have a detrimental effect on the economy as Dublin will be a place where it will be impossible to do business. I guess I'll just have to accept the fact I live in a country where politicians can see no further than the next election and everything is put on the long finger. Bye.

If you think traffic is bad only in Dublin then you might want to get out a bit more. Pretty much every major city around the world has serious traffic problems and it hasn't had a detrimental affect on them. Those cities also have very significant public transport systems as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think there may be merit in a Cork-Dublin flight with appropriate times to match long haul services mainly from EI.

It's no wonder a Cork-Dublin flight wasn't sustainable over the last few years but with the amount of transatlantic flights EI have now its worth exploring

Flying from Cork-Dublin-US makes a lot more sense than Cork-London-US

Of course if EI had all these routes as an independent airline there would more than likely be a route like this already but any Cork-Dublin route will impact IAG flow via LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They shouldn’t have to drive up. There should be a flight linking Dublin and cork. That should have been made a condition of the Aer Lingus sale!
    I used to fly that route a lot pre-M8. Train and Road are so good now I don't think I'd fly even if it was an option.

Think it would only be useful for Cork people who need to connect in Dublin, and there's so many other options (Amsterdam/Paris/London) they'd rarely use it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've used Gatwick a few times in the last few years and sorry it is terrible compared to Dublin. Walk off via an airbridge nd exit down the stairs to be bussed back to the arrivals haul ?!

That was one of the best things they did. UK/Ireland arrivals get bussed and there is no passport control, just walk off the bus and out into Arrivals.

Its going to be sadly missed come Brexit... I can't see them keeping that option there, unless they shove a passport control desk into that hall and keep bussing....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was one of the best things they did. UK/Ireland arrivals get bussed and there is no passport control, just walk off the bus and out into Arrivals.

Its going to be sadly missed come Brexit... I can't see them keeping that option there, unless they shove a passport control desk into that hall and keep bussing....

I vastly preferred the bypass line at main control, I could make it from the aircraft to the train in 9 minutes.

Also, the Sussex Police officer threatening not to let two Chelsea fans in after chatting to me on my way to a Brighton match isn't going to be repeatable on bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

L1011 wrote: »
    I vastly preferred the bypass line at main control, I could make it from the aircraft to the train in 9 minutes.

Also, the Sussex Police officer threatening not to let two Chelsea fans in after chatting to me on my way to a Brighton match isn't going to be repeatable on bus!

I didn't mind the bypass line (or the steps down which cut off a few minutes of walking in circles down the ramp) but I got screwed several times where the queues were so far back down the corridor that you couldn't just shove your way through.... no-one would let you.

My point about the bus bit...........is that it is similar to the south apron but in Gatwick “nah that’s fine”. Walk off via air bridge and down stairs to a bus but Dublin walk off via stairs to a building to get a bus back to a terminal is the pits apparently. It’s not optimal but it’s only temporary till they build the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

My point about the bus bit...........is that it is similar to the south apron but in Gatwick “nah that’s fine”. Walk off via air bridge and down stairs to a bus but Dublin walk off via stairs to a building to get a bus back to a terminal is the pits apparently. It’s not optimal but it’s only temporary till they build the extension.

I arrived on a Norwegian flight last week and got straight off the aircraft and on to a bus. Didn't go into the building itself.

• Advertisement

I arrived on a Norwegian flight last week and got straight off the aircraft and on to a bus. Didn't go into the building itself.

LCC’s won’t pay for a bridge to save money but Aer Lingus did the last time I flew with them to Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

In other news, Lord Ross has published a report stating that DUB needs a new terminal by 2030 and this in turn has been denied by the DAA who seem to think the current infrastructure is largely suitable for 50 - 60 million pax. I suspect they're downplaying to try and avoid the private terminal becoming a serious discussion as there's no way in hell the existing terminals could cope with a doubling of traffic

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1023/1006020-airports/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wonder what the capacity of a third terminal will be. A billion spent and will probably be under capacity after a year or two. Banana republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You do love a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,728 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wonder what the capacity of a third terminal will be. A billion spent and will probably be under capacity after a year or two. Banana republic!

€1.5 billion apparently. Capable of accommodating 30 million passengers according to the McEvaddys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so the plan is another terminal and still no additional runway? Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The DAA rep did a decent job on radio yesterday pointing out that a terminal is just a check in area and baggage system, neither of which are the capacity issues currently. DAA want piers first, Lord Churchtown is just confused as usual

The private terminal idea remains as much of a non-runner now as ever. The nearest equivalent to it anywhere is airline leased terminals in the US but even that isn't really the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The new runway will be under construction in a few months and open by 2021.........

I’m not sure whether you are being serious or not. Poster above has answered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

L1011 wrote: »
    The DAA rep did a decent job on radio yesterday pointing out that a terminal is just a check in area and baggage system, neither of which are the capacity issues currently. DAA want piers first, Lord Churchtown is just confused as usual

The private terminal idea remains as much of a non-runner now as ever. The nearest equivalent to it anywhere is airline leased terminals in the US but even that isn't really the same

Completely agree with you on a private terminal being a non runner but for more political reasons than practical ones. I know they are rare but I can't see a reason for one not to work once they have airlines using it.

The DAA have said that they want piers first but where will they put them and I am not sure the airlines will be happy about having bus loads of passengers driving from terminal to a remote pier or stand. The big issue is that the land to the west belongs to the McEvaddys and they won't sell it anytime soon.

I have a feeling that after an election and a new transport minister is in place this will disappear until the airport is bursting again in 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,995 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In other news, Lord Ross has published a report stating that DUB needs a new terminal by 2030

He thinks that the job of being a government minister is indulging his own personal private hobby horses and doing feck all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

What extra traffic do the expect in dublin? EI can't see past north America, and I'd argue other carriers are not banging the door down for DUB. That leaves FR, who are expanding rapidly. Therefore an LCC terminal is the most logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

lufties wrote: »
    What extra traffic do the expect in dublin? EI can't see past north America, and I'd argue other carriers are not banging the door down for DUB. That leaves FR, who are expanding rapidly. Therefore an LCC terminal is the most logical.

If EI is expanding in the US they will need capacity. The morning rush of arrivals is one of the pinch points for stands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

MICKEYG wrote: »
    If EI is expanding in the US they will need capacity. The morning rush of arrivals is one of the pinch points for stands at the moment.

Is there really that much of a market to the states? I find that hard to believe. Could never understand why EI don't look to the far east.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is there really that much of a market to the states? I find that hard to believe. Could never understand why EI don't look to the far east.

There's an ever-increasing business class market for the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Is there really that much of a market to the states
    Yes there is. In very recent years EI has started routes to BDL, MIA, SEA, PHL and next year MSP all on top of the existing major city routes. They would not be doing this if there was no market for it. Plus you have all 3 big US carriers with multiple routes, Norwegian offering low cost options AND 2 Icelandic airlines offering connections via KEF. I don't think you need much more evidence of market to the States. A lot of EI's transatlantic passengers these days are not coming to/from Ireland, but actually connecting to/from Europe via DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Business is good for EI, load factors are well above industry norm.

I did a DUB-JFK return recently, midweek, business class, a single empty seat in both directions, full house when I came back from SFO.

Connections via Dublin work extremely well, and the new connections centre makes it even simpler. Compared to LHR/CDG/FRA, Dublin is a clear winner.

Problem is Dublin, gates and taxi times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Problem is Dublin, gates and taxi times.

Was on a recent Air France flight to CDG. The pilot was giving out over the intercom about how Dublin has only 1 runway. We were in a queue for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Must be mad coming to a first world country and airport with 30,000,000 passengers this year and no rail link. Numbers will no doubt hit well over forty million, before there is a railnlink. Light controlled roundabout , a runway with pathetic length! Suppose the money goes on all these “experts” who advise on the projects and then there’s **** all left to do it right , then all the gang can make another killing when the project needs to be “upgraded “ a few years after opening ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Suppose the money goes on all these “experts” who advise on the projects and then there’s **** all left to do it right , then all the gang can make another killing when the project needs to be “upgraded “ a few years after opening ...

Yep. Or it's dissed as a 'white elephant'. Or it's 'gold plated', we could stick something up for a fraction of the cost.
    Or, It costs 5 billion! How much! Sure what do we want that for. How many houses could we build for that! Where's the luas down here in rural Ireland. Etc. Etc. Etc. Ad nauseum.

Advertisement