Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

trellheim wrote: »

And those interesting "PBZ" areas. I wonder is this an new version of the current South gates?
    I see that plan has the South gates replaced with a new short pier called "pier 5"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,728 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is there really €900m of investment there?

Not sure that imagery is 100% accurate.

Wasn't it two piers - one new and one extension - on the southside of the campus desribed in the paper a few weeks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well the good news with that image is that, categorically, 34 and 16 are staying put which I think is the correct decision.

There was never a clear answer to that in any of the second runway documentation that I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Don’t read to much into the pic, nothing is final. The aviation regulator will publish more detailed plans shortly.

16/34 were not going anywhere since the idea didn't go down well with stakeholders.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for them staying around much longer than the mid 2020’s at current and further growth rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Does anybody know if T2 was built with an east pier in mind? Looking at where this supposed Pier 5 (or indeed any future variation of an east pier) is supposed to be, I'm just wondering how it will connect into the existing terminal building - i.e. has provision for this already been made when T2 was designed? Or will it be a patch-up-job like the walkway we have now from the old B gates to T2?

Phen2206 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if T2 was built with an east pier in mind? Looking at where this supposed Pier 5 (or indeed any future variation of an east pier) is supposed to be, I'm just wondering how it will connect into the existing terminal building - i.e. has provision for this already been made when T2 was designed? Or will it be a patch-up-job like the walkway we have now from the old B gates to T2?

Always planned this way or a slight variation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

So Catering, Cargo, Shamrock house will all be demolished to make make way for this pier 5 ?, also what's the plans for the south gates regarding more stands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Tenger wrote: »
    And those interesting "PBZ" areas. I wonder is this an new version of the current South gates?
    I see that plan has the South gates replaced with a new short pier called "pier 5"

Pre-boarding zones, some of the press releases about the South gates has referred to them as PBZ already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is there a bar after USPC in T2?

(Apart from the lounge)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is there a bar after USPC in T2?

(Apart from the lounge)

Theres a tiny coffee station right next to gate 402, the first gate when coming through USPC, they serve pints too. Then further down between gate 404 and 406 is the big coffee shop that serves food and alcohol, with another smaller outlet just next to it thats sometimes a bit quieter. Also 1 coffee shop upstairs across from gate 423 that serves pints, usually the quietest of them all.

moloner4 wrote: »
    From what I head Shamrock is to stay. I remember being told Cargo and Catering are going, I'm open to correction.

South gates will have more gates built currently where the rubbish dump and horse stables are opposite to the current stand. I think the same number of gates as the current one.

There’s an interim plan to build 5 stands on the southside. But the medium/long term plan has always been to build a pier east south easterly from T2. An actual pier in this case called pier 5. The two plans are actually separate but will be linked up as the new south stands will eventually form the ramp/stands for the pier 5 area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I passed the new tower this morning. They have BAILE ÁTHA CLIA in big letters down the side of it. I'm hoping the TH will follow on Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It's now necessary to walk through a shopping maze in terminal two before you can get to the departure lounge.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Noxegon wrote: »
    It's now necessary to walk through a shopping maze in terminal two before you can get to the departure lounge.

it is annoying but it makes so much sense for DAA and the retailers, people are so impulsive!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Noxegon wrote:

They call it a serpentine design whereby as you walk through it , your vision is drawn to the various retail areas, with the hope that you'll be enticed in. In T2 atm, there's a refurb going on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ah so they’ve gone the way of U.K. airports then among a good few others in Europe these days

rushfan wrote: »
    They call it a serpentine design whereby as you walk through it , your vision is drawn to the various retail areas

Mine isn't :)

Mine isn't :)

That’s what you think

Trust me I never buy anything in those places! The worst I do is a bottle of water, or I launch an expedition to find a water fountain somewhere.

I will occasionally try a free shot of whiskey but I will never buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Trust me I never buy anything in those places! The worst I do is a bottle of water, or I launch an expedition to find a water fountain somewhere.

That would be a different story if you were flying out of Europe...

Ya I’m the same I generally beeline to the lounge, occasionally I’ll try a new cologne but it’s huge brand exposure. I’ll bet you can recognise hundreds of brands you never normally buy or shop for and it’s from these type of situations and placements. A time will come at some point when you need to purchase something be it a gift or something and time after time people go for brands that are familiar to them

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ya I’m the same I generally beeline to the lounge, occasionally I’ll try a new cologne but it’s huge brand exposure. I’ll bet you can recognise hundreds of brands you never normally buy or shop for and it’s from these type of situations and placements. A time will come at some point when you need to purchase something be it a gift or something and time after time people go for brands that are familiar to them

I wish I had a lounge to beeline to! I usually find the quietest corner to sit down in and either eat my egg sandwiches (which I made at home before the flight) or read my kindle!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Ireland trains

Do we know were the DAA are going to build new piers.
    I suppose some of the options would be extend pier C, make a new pier east of pier D or a pier south of terminal 2.if construction started tomorrow, how long would it be untill it is operational

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Do we know were the DAA are going to build new piers.
    I suppose some of the options would be extend pier C, make a new pier east of pier D or a pier south of terminal 2.if construction started tomorrow, how long would it be untill it is operational

The IAG group capital markets presentation last week showed the plans for Dublin.

New pier from the 100 gates, and a new pier off T2 also

http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-presentations

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NDEyOTk5fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1&cb=636767387686116875

Slide 87

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

blackwhite wrote: »
    The IAG group capital markets presentation last week showed the plans for Dublin.

New pier from the 100 gates, and a new pier off T2 also

http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-presentations

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NDEyOTk5fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1&cb=636767387686116875

Slide 87

Glad they ditched the plans for the new pier on the 300 gates as they were planning on getting rid of 16/34 as a result, bananas idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's no indication that this is permanent though - you have to take that snaking walk because they have temporary construction hoarding up to rebuild part of the Duty Free shopping section.

Once that construction is done, it could very well be that the original path is reinstated. Regardless, it's about 10 metres extra walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Had to use the South Gates/PBZ for a flight to Paris and back over the last couple of days - they're actually fine, if a little barebones. Thing is, I couldn't help but feel like the use of a bus to get you there is completely unnecessary in the long term. It would be a 4-5 minute walk at worst, better if they added travelators. I don't see any walkway connection in those infrastructure plans that were posted though, which is a shame! The bus ride really makes it feel like a bottom of the barrel solution, whereas if you had to walk it would just feel like literally any other airport with long walks to gates.

As an aside - after flying through CDG, I don't think I'll ever complain about DUB's city centre connections again - we have a really wonderfully located airport compared to a lot of other cities.

MJohnston wrote: »
    As an aside - after flying through CDG, I don't think I'll ever complain about DUB's city centre connections again - we have a really wonderfully located airport compared to a lot of other cities.

I agree. But we do not make use of the location. Get that train/Luas-style link up and a running; it'll make a hell of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »

RATP operate an airport express bus between CDG and the city centre. I've taken out to the airport a few times, all of them at rush hour, and found it to be faster, more reliable and more comfortable than the RER (not that that's saying much!). My only complaint is that I constantly struggle to find the bus stop in the city centre.

Advertisement