Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's no indication that this is permanent though - you have to take that snaking walk because they have temporary construction hoarding up to rebuild part of the Duty Free shopping section.

Once that construction is done, it could very well be that the original path is reinstated. Regardless, it's about 10 metres extra walk!

It'll be staying that way when all the work is done next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

markpb wrote: »
    RATP operate an airport express bus between CDG and the city centre. I've taken out to the airport a few times, all of them at rush hour, and found it to be faster, more reliable and more comfortable than the RER (not that that's saying much!). My only complaint is that I constantly struggle to find the bus stop in the city centre.

Problem with a bus in Paris is they have no bus lanes on the main roads, so if, like yesterday, there's even 1 crash, the whole place is gridlock. It took me 2 hours to get from Rue de Rivoli to CDG T1, which is horrendous.

DUB has its faults, but connectivity is not one of them I would say - the Port Tunnel is a tremendous asset in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Ireland trains

How much gates will a new pier 5 have according to IAG.
    Will the area for cargo between the 2 existing runways be for passenger services aswell.
    Is it likley that the existing main runway will have mostly aer lingus and long haul flights because its near terminal 2 and the new runway will have mostly ryanair and other short haul services as well as really long long-haul flights.
    Is there a chance that the IAG airlines may operate from terminal 2 once the new pier is built or will it be for most/all long haul flights.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

How much gates will a new pier 5 have according to IAG.
    Will the area for cargo between the 2 existing runways be for passenger services aswell.
    Is it likley that the existing main runway will have mostly aer lingus and long haul flights because its near terminal 2 and the new runway will have mostly ryanair and other short haul services as well as really long long-haul flights.
    Is there a chance that the IAG airlines may operate from terminal 2 once the new pier is built or will it be for most/all long haul flights.
    Thanks

So I’m not the daa or anything but I can try an answer some of this,
    Dual runway ops are generally one being used for take off, the other being used for landings, there’s sometimes exceptions made but generally safest practice is to separate departures and arrivals.
    There’s no indication IAG carriers want to operate from the same terminal so far, there’s not that much need for it I suppose. In Heathrow IAG operators do their own thing with the exception of a few Iberia Madrid flights. It’s the same story in Barcelona and Madrid they don’t share terminals there so I can’t see it being a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It should be noted that dual landing and take-off ops cannot be performed in Dublin when the new runway is built because it doesn't meet the minimum separation distance between the two runways. There are rare times when you could have dual departures on 28 and 34 only but that's not something to rely on 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It should be noted that dual landing and take-off ops cannot be performed in Dublin when the new runway is built because it doesn't meet the minimum separation distance between the two runways. There are rare times when you could have dual departures on 28 and 34 only but that's not something to rely on 100%.

The two runways will be 1600m apart, no problem for parallel approaches. As long as the correct radar facilities and procedures are in place....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

MoeJay wrote: »
    The two runways will be 1600m apart, no problem for parallel approaches. As long as the correct radar facilities and procedures are in place....

Knowing the IAAs approach to modern atc that’s probably unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It should be noted that dual landing and take-off ops cannot be performed in Dublin when the new runway is built because it doesn't meet the minimum separation distance between the two runways.

Is this the new "the two luas lines are different gauges" myth?

Give the DAA a little credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The minimum distance for parallel approaches is 760m provided sufficient Navaids, ILS, Radar, training and procedures are in place, and even then there’s ways and means around that. Look at SFO. Their runway centerlines are just over 200m apart.

The FAA require offsets for simultaneous parallel departures when they’re that close though IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

It should be noted that dual landing and take-off ops cannot be performed in Dublin when the new runway is built because it doesn't meet the minimum separation distance between the two runways.

Source ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

https://youtu.be/5QZ3eozyQfU?t=300

According to my crayons drawings the new runway will be 1,700 metres apart. So they don't even have to be staggered and can land simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1700m is more than enough to allow for completely independent operation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I thought the requirement was 2100m between two runways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

They could do independent parallel approaches with the proposed amount of separation. Controllers will need to be sent off and trained up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Locker10a wrote: »
    Knowing the IAAs approach to modern atc that’s probably unlikely

Their equipment is the most up-to-date in the world with the COOPANS ATC system. Procedures somehow seem to fall behind on a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I recently hired a car in Dublin Airport for a day as it worked out cheaper then using my own car.

I must say the infrastructure there is absolutely diabolical, It took me a good half an hour - 45mins to find the returns drop off point in morning rush hour traffic with heavy rain as I had originally tried to return back to where I took the car out from but couldn't find a way back there due to signage and different lanes, pulled up at Departures drop-off and asked an Airport employee who didn't know either.

Eventually I just followed a shuttle bus from Hertz back to the rental returns area. They really need to erect overhead gantrys as the signage here is absolutely pathetic, as with big double decker buses and lorries you can't see it unless the lane is empty. I drove around in circles for ages trying to find it, and Google Maps directed me straight back to Departures for the carhire desks.

https://goo.gl/maps/7PrWL3oVg7M2

Frankfurts is far worse. It took me ages to find it and the correct lane to access it. The road network is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

theguzman wrote: »
    I recently hired a car in Dublin Airport for a day as it worked out cheaper then using my own car.

Out of interest, how is this possible?

Synode wrote: »
    Out of interest, how is this possible?

End of summer, bucket loads of cars sitting around doing nothing and earning nothing. You can hire a car for the weekend for a pittance.

End of summer, bucket loads of cars sitting around doing nothing and earning nothing. You can hire a car for the weekend for a pittance.

But how is it cheaper than using your own car. I mean, the only (non sunk) cost of using your own car is the fuel.

• Advertisement

But how is it cheaper than using your own car. I mean, the only (non sunk) cost of using your own car is the fuel.

You’d have to ask the op, maybe they have a 5 litre Mustang

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I took it as something to do with parking at the airport but I’m not sure how that works out as a saving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Fuel (33 mpg Petrol), (Road Tolls of 4 x €1.90 and 2 x €3.10) and parking costs were going to cost more on the near 700kms round trip to Dublin, plus it would have cost me another €15.00 in additional servicing costs and tyre depreciation wear and tear.

More importantly I'd be exhausted from all the driving especially in the rain. I had a free lift to and from Dublin so rented a car rather than driving myself. Whilst I had the Rental car I drove 290kms from Dublin down to Kilkenny and back to North Dublin again. The rental car was Diesel and doing 46mpg so more savings there. The economics of dating a girl in Dublin but living in the opposite corner of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭plodder

theguzman wrote: »

I must say the infrastructure there is absolutely diabolical, It took me a good half an hour - 45mins to find the returns drop off point in morning rush hour traffic with heavy rain as I had originally tried to return back to where I took the car out from but couldn't find a way back there due to signage and different lanes, pulled up at Departures drop-off and asked an Airport employee who didn't know either.

Eventually I just followed a shuttle bus from Hertz back to the rental returns area. They really need to erect overhead gantrys as the signage here is absolutely pathetic, as with big double decker buses and lorries you can't see it unless the lane is empty. I drove around in circles for ages trying to find it, and Google Maps directed me straight back to Departures for the carhire desks.

https://goo.gl/maps/7PrWL3oVg7M2
    The signage is okay but not perfect at the M1 exit for the airport. It should be completely unambiguous and point to rental returns, rather than just "car rental" But, it's really, really poor once you are on the R132. There needs to be multiple overhead signs from that point on. I've always suspected that it causes no end of grief but in the majority of cases, they are tourists who we never see again anyway. So, they aren't going to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Go to car hire.ie.

Select dates Friday to Sunday at Cork Airport

€16.59 for a hyundai I30.

I rent often from then up to 20 times a year. It’s stupidly cheap at times.
    mainly difference is excess is €800

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thanks for the car hire tips but let’s try to focus on infrastructure rather than the services in the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Something that I'm curious about - is there a particular reason DUB favours landing and taking off east to west on the current runway?

Obviously they have to pick one direction per runway, but I'm just wondering what the reasons are for this.

Something that I'm curious about - is there a particular reason DUB favours landing and taking off east to west on the current runway?

Obviously they have to pick one direction per runway, but I'm just wondering what the reasons are for this.

Less flown miles, cheaper fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Winds generally suit this runway.

• Advertisement

Had to queue for almost an hour on Friday to take off. It was in the afternoon so I'm guessing it was a knock on effect. Still pretty poor though

Advertisement