Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 25 cluane

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Concrete underneath. There are pros and cons to everything. Concrete is more expensive and repairing is bigger job. Irelands climate - better grip for aircraft when wet.

What about a parallel 16/34?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

cluane wrote: »

I think that would be a crazy idea. It's used so infrequently as it is and most of the time it is used is either for a temporary closures of 10/28 or to help with morning rush hour departures which won't be an issue with 2 independent runways.
    Good luck getting such a runway through the planning system with all the populated areas that would be under the flight path. No chance.

As far as I'm aware most new runways are asphalt anyway plus Ireland's climate is better suited for it it seems.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 cluane

Should the current 10/28 and the new one be extended to 3000ft to accomodate larger aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Should the current 10/28 and the new one be extended to 3000ft to accomodate larger aircraft?

I’ve always been surprised that it wasn’t extended to some degree. There is space at either end, at the end of 10 especially. Without knowing the exact dimensions available space wise though having 10/28 designated at 2637 meters I’m thinking just as an amateur guesstimate it would be possible maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Whenever 34 is in operation for landings they moan and moan as far away as Dun Laoghaire. South side TDs wouldn’t wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Whenever 34 is in operation for landings they moan and moan as far away as Dun Laoghaire. South side TDs wouldn’t wear it.

I doubt it would be a runner. If the threshold was at the other end of 10/28 it would mean an approach path directly over Ballymun, the rather tall Metro hotel as well as the built up Ballymun. Not gonna work.

Is this infrastructure I wonder... Well, in any event two contracts for catering services set to go to tender, including one for 21 food and drink units. I hope they follow through on the lofty words about delivering a "step change" in food quality and passenger satisfaction. Many of the eateries in Dublin Airport are absolutely crap, and the maintenance of some of them is shocking - the T2 bar seating upholstery is in bits for example.

As well as food quality, it would be great I think if they could introduce some of the tablet-ordering like you see in places like EWR. I really enjoy sitting down, selecting what I want and having it delivered to me quickly; and emailing the receipt for expenses afterwards. I'm a real loner traveler, the more I can reduce human interaction and make the thing efficient, vs having to grab a seat, then abandon a coat or something and go up to order. All the little things.
    “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food, by helping our passengers feel a sense of connectedness to Ireland and by ensuring that everyone is well-fed and ready for their journey every time,” its managing director, Vincent Harrison, said.

“Passenger expectations of airport food have increased significantly, and we recognise that the food we offer at Dublin Airport is a key driver of overall passenger satisfaction,” he said, adding that they’re looking for a “step change”, aiming to install a “world-class food offer”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That Harvest Market or whatever it's called should be their first target for a 'step change'. It's absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Is this infrastructure I wonder... Well, in any event two contracts for catering services set to go to tender, including one for 21 food and drink units. I hope they follow through on the lofty words about delivering a "step change" in food quality and passenger satisfaction. Many of the eateries in Dublin Airport are absolutely crap, and the maintenance of some of them is shocking - the T2 bar seating upholstery is in bits for example.

Not to mention the fact that Chopped is invariably closed in the evenings.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From the article: “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food"

Hardly serious? Or simple PR drivel?

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From the article: “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food"

Look at it through the lens of wanting to be a connecting hub and it might make sense. That and just increasing the spend in the airport - I’ll actively try eat before I get there vs other airports with decent grub you’d get to a bit earlier specifically for the convenience of eating something decent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

The most cynical answer, and experience with DAA, shows the way : Excuse to rack up the rents. Never ever confuse anything DAA does with something that isnt focused on max profit at the expense of everything else. They have no competition and do not care.

The loss of Spar in arrivals of T2 was/is a pain. I really liked being able to buy milk on the way home from a journey without having to stop somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Noxegon wrote:
    The loss of Spar in arrivals of T2 was/is a pain. I really liked being able to buy milk on the way home from a journey without having to stop somewhere else.

Spar is still there. It's now on your left hand side as you exit from baggage reclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that Chopped is invariably closed in the evenings.

Good few 'places' especially in T1 which ought to be shut down . just read comments on Tripadvisor to see what shocking service ( if it could be called that ) the public have to put up with.

Won't name them all as I haven't been in all the so-called eateries thus not fair to name and shame...I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    The most cynical answer, and experience with DAA, shows the way : Excuse to rack up the rents. Never ever confuse anything DAA does with something that isnt focused on max profit at the expense of everything else. They have no competition and do not care.

Rents are based on sales/turnover. There is nothing wrong with trying to increase revenue when there is downword pressure on charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good few 'places' especially in T1 which ought to be shut down . just read comments on Tripadvisor to see what shocking service ( if it could be called that ) the public have to put up with.

Won't name them all as I haven't been in all the so-called eateries thus not fair to name and shame...I think.

Moaning about them on Twitter and tagging the DAA usually gets apologies from both anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Noxegon wrote: »

Spar is on the left, has loads of milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As part of the North Runway works some taxiways are getting renamed on the 28th.

Taxiway B will become S. Exits from 28 will be renamed S1, S2 etc. H2 and M2 will become W1 and W2 respectively while P2 will become W3.

rushfan wrote: »
    Spar is still there. It's now on your left hand side as you exit from baggage reclaim.

Excellent. I must be blind in that case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Rents are based on sales/turnover. There is nothing wrong with trying to increase revenue when there is downword pressure on charges.

Thats only in Terminal 1, Terminal 2 is monthly rent and a percentage of the mothly sales too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats only in Terminal 1, Terminal 2 is monthly rent and a percentage of the mothly sales too

Interesting, guess T1 is a legacy one they want to replace with T2 if they can in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

As i said, take the most cynical interpretation and you'll be correct. "A food destination" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »
    Moaning about them on Twitter and tagging the DAA usually gets apologies from both anyway

I don't do Twitter/FB etc so cannot moan about them.

Would be amazed though if neither Burger King or Soho were not moaned about on Twitter though ( and as far as I know they are owned by the same company).

Both of these are an embarrassment to T1 IMHO.:(

I don't do Twitter/FB etc so cannot moan about them.

Would be amazed though if neither Burger King or Soho were not moaned about on Twitter though ( and as far as I know they are owned by the same company).

Both of these are an embarrassment to T1 IMHO.:(
    At least you know what you’re getting with a chain like BK, but what frustrates me greatly is that in both terminals they seem to live a fairly relaxed pace of life. Not what you should be doing when all your customers are on a timer.

Marquette in airside T1 is the one that really gets me. It's a bit chaotic especially when various family members are requiring something different to everyone else. The layout is confusing. I far prefer the Slaney in T2, at least you have your table in advance of eating. Nothing worse than just having paid at the till , then standing holding a tray or two , waiting for someone to vacate a table. Although, occasionally intimidation works!ðŸ˜

Marquette in airside T1 is the one that really gets me. It's a bit chaotic especially when various family members are requiring something different to everyone else. The layout is confusing. I far prefer the Slaney in T2, at least you have your table in advance of eating. Nothing worse than just having paid at the till , then standing holding a tray or two , waiting for someone to vacate a table. Although, occasionally intimidation works!ðŸ˜

Marquette is miles ahead of Slaney food wise though. Slaney is run by the same company that run BK and Soho (SSP), food is absolute muck

Marquette is miles ahead of Slaney food wise though. Slaney is run by the same company that run BK and Soho (SSP), food is absolute muck

Generally just stick to the tried and trusted "toast & tea " if on an early flight. Never ever have the scrambled eggs, they're delivered in powder form. The Oak bar is the same. Showing my age here too in that I'm always amazed by how many are getting stuck into the pints at 5am or so.

Showing my age here too in that I'm always amazed by how many are getting stuck into the pints at 5am or so.

It's the only time I'll drink that early :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I wouldn't travel as frequently through Dublin airport as I used to but it certainly seems more chaotic of late. Peak time crowding (not helped by the narrow layout in T1, Security (did away with family queues as a nice backwards step), and the ever present stopgap transport solution.

I'm all for expansion and can't wait until the new runway opens but bloody hell, I'm scared to think of how manic the terminals will be by 2022/23 if we don't see a T3 or complete refurb of T1

What are the confidence levels amoung us that we may see a world class facility developing?

Advertisement