Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

EB_2013 wrote: »
    If the new parallel runway ever gets to go ahead will the close proximity to the hangers cause a problem on landings with winds.

Wasn't this a problem when 29/11 was in use.

I believe the landing threshold/touchdown zone has been moved up further to the west so it shouldn't have any impact of it's proximity to the hangers upon approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I noticed earlier this week that what appears to be some construction work is underway on or around the old RWY29. Anyone know what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Strengthening the ramp, drainage works and a dual taxi-line

I noticed earlier this week that what appears to be some construction work is underway on or around the old RWY29. Anyone know what's happening?

Can't remember the exact number but 12-13 new stands one is going to be A380 capable and dual-realigned taxiways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Having a quick look around airliners and its say there is a rumour of 16/34 being closed. Any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having a quick look around airliners and its say there is a rumour of 16/34 being closed. Any truth in that?

The plan for the extension of B requires it to be closed as it'd be built on top of part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Theres another post floating about recently saying they've to resubmit planning for a more northerly second runway and retaining 16/34.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

billie1b wrote: »
    Strengthening the ramp, drainage works and a dual taxi-line
    Can't remember the exact number but 12-13 new stands one is going to be A380 capable and dual-realigned taxiways.

Probably in relation to this - http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/SUPP%20Files/2014/EI_SUP_2014_23_EN.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »
    The plan for the extension of B requires it to be closed as it'd be built on top of part of it.
    Theres another post floating about recently saying they've to resubmit planning for a more northerly second runway and retaining 16/34.
    I wouldn't say the end of 16/34 was a rumour.....the issue of Pier B extension was mentioned, which lead to a "what about 16/34?" query....which then lead to a suggestion that a more northerly threshold could preserve 16/34 and avoid wind issues near the hangers.

All part of a developing debate online....shows the important of reading back. Next thing you know some guy on PPrune is quoting Boards.ie that 16/34 is being closed in 2017!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why is there a 4 hour gap in works? 19h to 21h and 5h-7h
    How can works after dark in December be classed as day works (until 19h)?

As far as I am aware 16/34 is to be kept open as a crosswind runway. Also 28R was to be redesigned (further north) to allow full independent operations, hence the need for a new/modified planning permission.

But having done a search I couldn't readily find anything about how far away it should be, what I found though suggested it was far enough away.

OK I found this

Best option is 1525m (5000ft) apart, least is 1035m (3400ft), a lot of requirements needed for the lesser option. Sorry file type won't allow copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Any predictions of whether we can possibly hit the 25 million passenger threshold this year? We had 8% growth in 2014, does anyone know what the count of new routes added during that year was? Would be interesting to compare to this year and see if we can expect more than 8% growth.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Any predictions of whether we can possibly hit the 25 million passenger threshold this year? We had 8% growth in 2014, does anyone know what the count of new routes added during that year was? Would be interesting to compare to this year and see if we can expect more than 8% growth.

I doubt it to be honest with you. We could hit 23m this year but getting 25m is a bit of a stretch for this year. Next year, we could see 25m as the new routes that were announced to start this year, would be operating for the full year.

First two months have had 15% year on year passenger number increases. It'll take 3.3 million extra passengers or about a 15% increase over last year to get to 25million passengers. I can't see it hitting that this year but I can by the end of next year. Let's say 24.5 million go through the airport this year, even though we only miss the target by 500000 it'll delay the runway by a further year. It's a ridiculous target and should have had a clause that stated if you get very close to it we will consider an early trigger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is it not 25m in a consecutive 12 month period as opposed to in a calendar year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it will be interesting to see the February passenger figures, also if Ireland run well in the rugby world cup that starts in the UK in september, that could boost the numbers nicely... Also bear in mind the expected election buying budget in October. I reckon we are slightly more than 50/50 to hit 25,000,000 by year end, will come right down to the wire I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    it will be interesting to see the February passenger figures, also if Ireland run well in the rugby world cup that starts in the UK in september, that could boost the numbers nicely... Also bear in mind the expected election buying budget in October. I reckon we are slightly more than 50/50 to hit 25,000,000 by year end, will come right down to the wire I reckon...

We are not going to add 3.3 million passengers this year.....

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

How does the election buying budget affect the number of PAX travelling through Dublin? If they decided to add in a passenger tax or whatever it's called, it wouldn't go into effect until the start of the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is zero chance of the APT coming back.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    How does the election buying budget affect the number of PAX travelling through Dublin? If they decided to add in a passenger tax or whatever it's called, it wouldn't go into effect until the start of the following year.

I presume by "election buying" he meant an announcement from one or more of the political parties like:

"As part of <insert party>'s commitment to stimulating the economy and investing in critical, strategic infrastructure we will accelerate the timescale for the implementation of the plans to build a northern parallel runway at Dublin airport. This will create <lots of jobs in the construction industry> and unlock many growth opportunities in Dublin. As part of this investment in our aviation industry we also commit to ... <something to placate SNN, ORK and/or NOC depending on how short of votes they are>"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Such an announcement would be perfectly timed to come shortly after agreeing to sell AerLingus to IAG (which is really the sensible thing to do).

It would help ease some of the fears about job loses amongst people in Northern Dublin and would help the TD's looking for re-election there.

If I was a TD in this area, this is what I'd be looking for rather then trying to block the Aer Lingus sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

bk wrote: »
    Such an announcement would be perfectly timed to come shortly after agreeing to sell AerLingus to IAG (which is really the sensible thing to do).

It would help ease some of the fears about job loses amongst people in Northern Dublin and would help the TD's looking for re-election there.

If I was a TD in this area, this is what I'd be looking for rather then trying to block the Aer Lingus sale.

Exactly - use the sale proceeds to fund jobs in the area as the trade off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Logic and Irish politics hand in hand? What is this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm doing my bit anyway, 7 trips planned this year, 2 completed already. B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We are not going to add 3.3 million passengers this year.....
    You may be right, it will be damn close either way though...

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-03-11/Almost_1_5_Million_Passengers_Travel_Through_Dublin_Airport_In_February.aspx

17% increase in passenger figures for February year on year...
    Almost 1.5 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in February, which was a 17% increase on last year. Passenger volumes to and from continental Europe increased by 25%, with more than 700,000 passengers travelling to European destinations. UK traffic recorded an increase of 9%, with almost 632,000 passengers travelling to and from UK destinations. Passenger volumes to and from North America grew by 7% with almost 82,000 passengers travelling on flights to and from the United States and Canada in February. Other international traffic, principally to the Middle East and North Africa, increased by 32%, with almost 51,000 passengers travelling these routes in February. Just over 5,000 passengers travelled on domestic routes last month, a 23% increase over February 2014. Passenger numbers at Dublin Airport are up 15% to just over 2.9 million for the first two months of this year.

There are also a lot of new services that are about to start, which will boost figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Maintaining a 15% increase over the entire year would have us just short of 25m by the end of the year. I have to hope that if we reached 24.95 million, a bit of rounding up would take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Maintaining a 15% increase over the entire year would have us just short of 25m by the end of the year. I have to hope that if we reached 24.95 million, a bit of rounding up would take place.

Maybe the daa could throw a few quid at FR and EI to run a ton of santa flights out of DUB during December if it's that close to get them over the line! :)

Advertisement