Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

IngazZagni wrote: »

If the restrictions aren’t changed then I don’t believe the runway will open and the €300 million plus lots of future economic development down the drain.

You think they'll mothball the runway if the restrictions aren't lifted?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

sparrowcar wrote: »
    You think they'll mothball the runway if the restrictions aren't lifted?:confused:

I don’t see what choice they would have. They would effectively have to to tell airlines to give up lots of morning and evening slots. Airlines like Ryanair would be forced to move based aircraft away from Dublin. Transatlantic flights would be forced to arrive after 7am missing vital connections. It would be a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its an option as it maintains status quo and permits night flights. Its not like Dublin is going to be needing two runways in 2021 and probably 2022

Imposing restrictions is an operational nightmare, anyone who has taken a late evening flight out of a German airport will know the panic as the clock ticks down and you are still on the tarmac. I've just about scraped out of TXL and SXF right on curfew, I know of cases of getting to runway and ATC refusing take off clearance and everyone is stuck for the night.

The real pain in Dublin would be the incoming TATL wave from about 4am which the first wave is timed to offer connections off, if they cannot land till later the whole schedule collapses, that hurts EI badly, for FR they might lose a rotation off each aircraft which wrecks the business model.

Its an option as it maintains status quo and permits night flights. Its not like Dublin is going to be needing two runways in 2021 and probably 2022

Ok as in short term. It's not due for ORAT completion until sometime in 2022 anyway so I suppose there is time for decisions to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think everyone here is onboard with the idea that the current restriction is too much. And you could equally go back and point out to the likes of the Greens that instead of TATL planes landing you'll have them circling the field burning fuel, and note that perhaps the planning conditions could be altered to allow "xx night flights over y period and unlimited TATL landings before xAM". There are solutions that can be reasonable compromises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I don't think there would be a problem with current ops on 28L and close 28R 0000-0600 save for emergencies and where 28L is closed for maintenance

This is what I've been thinking, why can't this be an option?

I don’t think the odd flight landing on 28R during the night during maintenance or an emergency would cause much fuss and it would be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ah don't get me started. ATC need to talk to the people sitting beside them to start with. Then proper CDAs, track miles to final fix if being radar vectored, various curved GPS approaches to short finals which can alternate during the day/night and alternating the runway in use would all help. All of the above would greatly reduce the noise footprint and avoid dirty dives, use of speedbrakes and the inevitable level off and increase in thrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Apparently the traveller issue at the threshold of 28R has been ‘resolved’.

No info on settlement details, but large figures rumoured.

The Public need to know the details and who foots the bell.

Apparently the traveller issue at the threshold of 28R has been ‘resolved’.

No info on settlement details, but large figures rumoured.

The Public need to know the details and who foots the bell.

About time, any links?
    FCC will be footing the bill I believe (ie us tax payers)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

DAA case to have Travellers moved from airport runway exclusion zone resolved https://jrnl.ie/5389643

Here is a link how the f**k could FLAC be involved if there is some form of large settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The bit that’s important in that news is that the runway construction can proceed. Any other discussion about it should go to some other thread imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

May well have been asked and answered already, but what is this turning circle off W1? Looks to be marked as TS1.

548145.PNG

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

donvito99 wrote: »
    May well have been asked and answered already, but what is this turning circle off W1? Looks to be marked as TS1.

548145.PNG

Engine test site. I think it's a replacement for one that used to be at the northern end.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Peregrine wrote: »
    Engine test site
    Engine run up pad...it has a concrete blast 'wall' in the South East and North East quadrants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

On the way home last night I took a detour to get a closer look at the new tower. What a beautiful structure it is. Anyone know is it operational yet? It looks like it might be with the old tower looking a bit sad by comparison.

plodder wrote: »
    On the way home last night I took a detour to get a closer look at the new tower. What a beautiful structure it is. Anyone know is it operational yet? It looks like it might be with the old tower looking a bit sad by comparison.

Not operational yet.

May be a certain amount of background stuff going on, and ‘ office type operations’ but the small lad is still the boss.

Just to clarify,not operational for parallel runway operation yet (obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

plodder wrote: »
    On the way home last night I took a detour to get a closer look at the new tower. What a beautiful structure it is..

I agree, I took this photo on my way back to Glasgow Sept 2019

Control-Tower-17-September-2019-at-Dublin-Airport-2.jpg

I agree, I took this photo on my way back to Glasgow Sept 2019

Control-Tower-17-September-2019-at-Dublin-Airport-2.jpg

Great photo, Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I see the approach lights for the new runway have been installed on both ends, looks to be coming along at pace. Anyone have the latest estimates on when it'll open?

Skyknight wrote: »
    Engine run up pad...it has a concrete blast 'wall' in the South East and North East quadrants

It's a movable blast fence with an opening range of 230-280 degrees. No concrete blast walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

It's a movable blast fence with an opening range of 230-280 degrees. No concrete blast walls.

Cheers for that info.:cool:..best I could judge from the satellite images.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Anyone have a list of the current projects underway at Dublin airport beside North runway and the baggage upgrade in terminal 2
    cheers...

Approach lights and lead in lights under construction Rwy 28R... dwellings seem to be vacated at Eastern end..... full steam ahead!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

They already have windsocks and the 28R localiser equipment installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

When is the first aircraft expected to test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Well Runway 34 is back operational. 2 flights have flown over the house tonight landing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Rojomur wrote: »
    Well Runway 34 is back operational. 2 flights have flown over the house tonight landing on it.

It hasn't been other than operational for several months but it is indeed quite rarely used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can anyone confirm if the R108 road was ever 'gifted' or anything by the airport - in essence - it is and always has been a national road and nothing to do with DAA?

MarkN wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the R108 road was ever 'gifted' or anything by the airport - in essence - it is and always has been a national road and nothing to do with DAA?

It is 100's of years old. It use to be the main road from Dublin to Belfast. It was diverted around Dublin Airport land in the 60's or 70's when the present runway 10R/28L was a distant plan.

If you look at Google maps you can see its route would have taken it from Ballymun through the Airfield near the fire station and back out at the roundabout heading north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Past the airport the other day noticed the glideslope antenas are now installed on both ends.

Advertisement