Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, I passed it yesterday and the PAPIs are installed both ends. At the St. Margaret's end they come right out to the road.

I was dissapointed at all of the landfill that's built up around the perimeter all the way from Forest Little to St. Margaret's, blocking much of the view. They also have the fences blocked off so visibility for onlookers is going to be very bad.

On a positive note, that crowd of gangsters living at the 28R threshold is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

sparrowcar wrote: »
    It is 100's of years old. It use to be the main road from Dublin to Belfast. It was diverted around Dublin Airport land in the 60's or 70's when the present runway 10R/28L was a distant plan.

If you look at Google maps you can see its route would have taken it from Ballymun through the Airfield near the fire station and back out at the roundabout heading north.

Surely the R132, formerly N1, was always the main (trunk) route?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Main route a couple of hundred years ago went right past the Man O’War pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It replaced the R108 but the R108 was the original route north out of Dublin.

conor_mc wrote: »
    Main route a couple of hundred years ago went right past the Man O’War pub.

Oh aye, actually now that you mention it. I've heard that a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://map.geohive.ie/

search for dublin airport. Under base information and mapping you can choose the older maps and use the slider for superimpossing todays and the maps from the 1800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, I passed it yesterday and the PAPIs are installed both ends. At the St. Margaret's end they come right out to the road.

I was dissapointed at all of the landfill that's built up around the perimeter all the way from Forest Little to St. Margaret's, blocking much of the view. They also have the fences blocked off so visibility for onlookers is going to be very bad.

On a positive note, that crowd of gangsters living at the 28R threshold is gone.

They don’t want drivers rubbernecking, it’s a narrow road.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The site would've been a great view for spotting. The only decent place for spotting is when 16 is in use. Can't beat them passing overhead so low. It's not the same looking at them side on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

search for dublin airport. Under base information and mapping you can choose the older maps and use the slider for superimpossing todays and the maps from the 1800s.

That site is an incredibly effective way to waste time. Here I am in the forest searching out old Wells marked on the 1800s maps!

That site is an incredibly effective way to waste time. Here I am in the forest searching out old Wells marked on the 1800s maps!

I worked on it pre-launch back in 2015. I genuinely got bugger all done most days with all of my access to old OSI mapping.

Still to this day its one of my most used platforms for work. It's a god send.

Same with its OSNI counterpart SpatialNI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I am guilty as charged. It is a great resource and a time trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

They don’t want drivers rubbernecking, it’s a narrow road.

Which is why it would be better to provide a safe pull-in. I'm not sure that what has been built on the north side of the runway will satisfy that need. We seem to be taking the UK "policing" approach to these matters rather being more innovative, as the Germans, Dutch and others seem to manage successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That site is an incredibly effective way to waste time.

That depends on your definition of the word wasted :)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

According to the Eurocontrol NOP, operational use of the runway is being delayed until Q1/Q2 2022. However, I haven't heard anything from the DAA on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

According to the Eurocontrol NOP, operational use of the runway is being delayed until Q1/Q2 2022. However, I haven't heard anything from the DAA on this.

daa have said early 2022 for a while now and its not exactly needed before May 2022 at least.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    daa have said early 2022 for a while now and its not exactly needed before May 2022 at least.

Ah, I hadn't seen that. At this rate it may be a few more years before it's actually needed but will be a nice change with less delays. Meanwhile some stands wouldn't go amiss....

Ah, I hadn't seen that. At this rate it may be a few more years before it's actually needed but will be a nice change with less delays. Meanwhile some stands wouldn't go amiss....

Delays where?

On the taxiways?

Stands where…..remote? Contacted?

Need more Terminal infrastructure if you want more contact stands.

Delays where?

On the taxiways?

Stands where…..remote? Contacted?

Need more Terminal infrastructure if you want more contact stands.

As we are talking about a new runway, delays holding on the arrival into DUB, as the runway can only handle 44 movements per hour? A new runway will, unsurprisingly, come close to doubling that rate.

Of course you need terminal infrastructure for more (contact) stands, I wasn't implying that you construct stands out of thin air.

My point (which I'm not sure if you understood) is that with the increased runway throughput, it will only magnify the problem that was already there which is a lack of contact stands, particularly for the CAT D aircraft who will, with a new runway, face little to no delays on the STARs into DUB.

As we are talking about a new runway, delays holding on the arrival into DUB, as the runway can only handle 44 movements per hour? A new runway will, unsurprisingly, come close to doubling that rate.

Of course you need terminal infrastructure for more (contact) stands, I wasn't implying that you construct stands out of thin air.

My point (which I'm not sure if you understood) is that with the increased runway throughput, it will only magnify the problem that was already there which is a lack of contact stands, particularly for the CAT D aircraft who will, with a new runway, face little to no delays on the STARs into DUB.

Maybe you should have said that in the first place, rather than tossing out some vapid generalization.

Maybe you should have said that in the first place, rather than tossing out some vapid generalization.

I don't think that's a very accurate description of what I offered to the discussion initially :)

• Advertisement

I don't think that's a very accurate description of what I offered to the discussion initially :)

Let’s leave it at that, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

One of the delays currently (well in 2019 Summer) was ATC holding you on the gate to avoid forming a huge queue at E1/34 which in turn blocks incoming aircraft from getting to stand. If you block the area around E1 access to T2 is blocked, so you can be off stand and blocking the next guy trying to get in. So killing the delay/holding here will make a big difference.

Less taxi delays for take off will have a positive impact on stand availability which gets super tricky as TATL's arrive at somewhat random early times and its almost impossible to hide a 777/330 in Dublin on the taxiways.

Stands are finite, though I'd imagine using the stands on the apron next to the new runway will become attractive, EI Regional use them but you see EI park A320's there, stands 138-145

As a regular flyer into Dublin I very very rarely have encountered a hold on approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As a regular flyer into Dublin I very very rarely have encountered a hold on approach

It happened frequently during the summer. You mightn't notice it necessarily because ATC will slow us right down and we'll do the full point merge star (a long arc up the coast for 28L arrivals) which is effectively a hold without going round in circles. But you'd get 1 round of the hold on top of that often enough too.

Was frustrating at the time but I'd take that over the current situation any day!

as the runway can only handle 44 movements per hour?

48 per hour FYI.

https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/W19/2019-05%20Final%20decision%20W19%20final.pdf

Page 13

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Be not afraid

Why were the both parallel runways facing slightly NW/SE when the prevailing winds are more often SW to W? Been trying for ever to get an answer to this.

PS. Lost email/password to my old boards account so this is not my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Why were the both parallel runways facing slightly NW/SE when the prevailing winds are more often SW to W? Been trying for ever to get an answer to this.

PS. Lost email/password to my old boards account so this is not my first post.
    Modern airliners can cope with significant cross wind factors very easily so while being approximately aligned with the prevailing wind is important, other considerations may constrain what can be done or dictate what is optimal.
    In Dublin's case, when Rwy 10/28 was first built, reorientation of the approach and departure tracks over relatively low populated countryside/sea instead of the expanding built up areas of Malahide, Swords and NW Dublin was a big plus and the associated availability of the land for construction would also have helped to a lesser extent..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DAA tweeted a map before from the Department of Transport from the late 60s showing plans for a layout pretty much like we have now (except both were 3500m...!) and the north runway was planned to be built first!

Found it... numbering was 11/29 then due to the movement of the north magnetic pole

489547.jpg

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Separately, if anyone fancies starting work at 3:00am for minimum wage, the restaurants in Dublin Airport have jobs for you!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-jobs-number-full-20932833

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Noxegon wrote: »
    Separately, if anyone fancies starting work at 3:00am for minimum wage, the restaurants in Dublin Airport have jobs for you!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-jobs-number-full-20932833

Loads of people will fancy it, unemployment is at 15%. Your condescending tone isn't a nice trait. Shift work suits some lifestyles/families and the salary is similar to many entry level jobs in lots of industries. Try and be nice for the rest of the day... you'll feel better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Loads of people will fancy it, unemployment is at 15%. Your condescending tone isn't a nice trait. Shift work suits some lifestyles/families and the salary is similar to many entry level jobs in lots of industries. Try and be nice for the rest of the day... you'll feel better for it.

It seemed to me like the poster was being more sarcastic towards the businesses in question, not the people who need those jobs.

Advertisement