Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

At the time the airport was bursting at the seams and I guess they felt that it was better to get construction underway. Waiting for the outcome of the appeals could have delayed things for years.

Of course now that we have COVID the second runway is (for now at least) less critical than it was, but I daresay it'll be needed again sooner rather than later.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, that makes a bit of sense all right. thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are some good technical reasons for using parallel runways, which have nothing to do with noise, and everything to do with the size of the aircraft, and hence the vortex wake category, and that factor alone can cause huge flow problems if the pattern of arrivals or departures means trying to mix the wrong types.

An A330 or 777 can come in, but if the next aircraft is an ATR, then it can't follow so closely behind the 330 as another 330 can, so depending on other operational factors, with 2 parallel runways, the ATR may be processed to land on 28R, while the flow of heavier jets continues on 28L, and the same is true for departures, a whole sequence of ATR's can be departed from 28L while heavy jets are departing from 28R, and there are then not the delays that otherwise would occur. That's the reason you don't see light aircraft operating in and out of Dublin any more, they are actively discouraged since the closure of the old runway 29, in that the number of landing or take off slots lost to facilitate a Piper Comanche in amongst even 737's let alone 330s or 777's make the small light aircraft effectively an unwelcome item, due to the massive speed differential and the separation required, getting one small Piper ( or Cessna) etc on the ground can mean the loss of at least 4 landing slots for something the size of a 737/320, and the loss of several departure slots as well. Given the pressure on slots on the single runway at present, that is very much an issue.

It's not quite as significant at the moment, in that there are fewer ATR's (and similar) operating due to Covid and the loss of operators like Stobart and Flybe, but even things like E145 jets are affected by separation issues, and once the Covid issues start to reduce, the pressures on slots will return with the return of smaller commuter/feeder size aircraft, and an increase in business jet usage. The new runway will significantly help that situation

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’d be confident the economic prosperity of an entire country which comes from unrestricted connectivity will carry some decent weight in the appeal submission

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

DHL,Fedex & UPS all land before 6am…..are they going to delay these flight arrivals/dept when they new runway opens?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

To me, a logical solution would be to leave the current runways operating exactly as they are now and have been for the past 30+years. With perhaps a curfew on the new runway of no operations except an extenuating circumstance, between the hours of 23:30 and 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I would say certify the runways to the highest possible standards as you would expect in any major international airport - simultaneous parallel approaches and departures. Train ATC up to the highest standards so that when demand requires it they can switch from independent operations or single runway to parallel. Imagine being able to get everyone down on the deck with no holding when thunderstorms are approaching or to break off someone to the parallel if separation is lost with preceding or a departing aircraft is slow to get airborne. Or bring a medical emergency or in distress aircraft onto the departures runway so that no one has to go around. And in winter one runway can be cleared of contaminants whilst the other one remains in operation. Run of the mill stuff the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

Excellent sentiments Basill, I fully agree but remember you are dealing with the two AAs here, IAA and DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dazler97

How long will the new runway be can anyone tell me please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

For landing this number is less due to the displaced threshold which I think is a real shame. It's only marginally longer than the current runway for landing because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Thanks Brendan, I thought it would have been 4,000 or 5,000 metres

No… the Southern Rwy is about 2.6 k around 8650 ft

whereas the Northern one is 3.110k … around 10000 ft.

Wow that's not so bad, I think the runway in Shannon is still a little longer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There may be a ribbon cutting but i'd say it's really uncertain they will commence operations on the runway given the proposed restrictions particularly in relation to the current runway. I'd say there is a better than evens chance they'll keep it shut until changes are agreed.

The fact is there is more capacity at the right times with the current runway. It makes absolutely no sense to open the new runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Actually ATC training would be a good reason to open it. Start them off whilst its relatively quiet. Pier D departures and arrivals could use the northerly and T1/2 use Southerly. That would suit the clean green agenda quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not disputing anything here, but I read through the charter and I don't see any topics that are red line issues so could it be clarified what can or cannot be discussed? Don't want to bring up something that will get me randomly threadbanned or shouted at in bold typing 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It relates to specific warnings they and only they had received based on their past posting going back quite some time . Do not reply to moderation on-thread, this applies to this post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's no need for anything like that, they're not trying to launch fully laden B-52s off it or land the Space Shuttle on it 😁

Even back in the day when the takeoff performance of jets was a lot poorer, the plans (late 60s) were for two 3500m runways at Dublin... of course the southern one when it was eventually built in the 80s was only 2600m because of the Shannon lobby. There is land available within the airport boundary to extend the southern rwy, but probably no point - is the northern runway going to be limiting to any aircraft in practice?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement

Ye I don't know why I thought that lol 😁 but as long as 3,000 meters is enough incase of emergency landings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Testing of the new ILS equipment has begun

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

18. Testing of North Runway’s Instrument Landing System at Dublin Airport (23/27AUG MO/FR)

“We want to advise you about forthcoming activities on and around the North Runway site as part of the installation of the Instrument Landing System (ILS).

Flight calibration of the ILS will be undertaken during daylight hours from Monday, 23rd to Friday, 27th August, weather permitting.

The flights will involve a small twin-engine aircraft taking off and landing using the existing operational runways, not North Runway. It will then make multiple approaches to both east and west ends of the North Runway site at no lower than a height of 100 feet, and then undertake several passes of the runway at c. 50 feet.

Please note that these flights are for testing and calibration purposes only and will not involve taking off or landing on the North Runway site.

If you have any queries or need clarification regarding above, please contact us at northrunway@daa.ie . August 17, 2021”

May be of interest to folk who use this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Portable VMS on the R122 around Keelings now advising this too. They seem to be at odds to point out there will be no actual wheels on the ground, must be a legal or planning implication if they do.

Seems a bit surreal for an aviation enthusiast that there is a sign warning of low flying DA62 when there would be no warning at all of a 747 on low approach to 28L. Health and safety gone a bit bonkers.

Still a real pity about the anti distraction fencing. It's going to be near impossible to get any sort of a view of this runway without getting out of the car. At the bare minimum it should have been removed at the laybys and the laybys made larger. DAA muppets who planned that clearly couldn't give a fiddlers about those who enjoy spotting.

I hope the runway opens for service before the year is out, I've bad memory so forgotten when it's due

What why another year that's a joke lol (I just have no pacience)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is that due to planning constraints or do they still have to get other infrastructure and testing in place before it can become operational.

• Advertisement

Yes its mainly because of testing and training and a lot of the work outside of the construction was paused during the pandemic as well. But some of the delay is to allow the appeal against the noise restrictions be processed.

Advertisement