Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lord lucan wrote: »
    Maybe the daa could throw a few quid at FR and EI to run a ton of santa flights out of DUB during December if it's that close to get them over the line! :)

Or the Flybe option:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7321306.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Maybe the daa could throw a few quid at FR and EI to run a ton of santa flights out of DUB during December if it's that close to get them over the line!
    Or simply lie to the regulator, given the fact that there are never any consequences here to anything! If the project is held up for a year over a mickey mouse few thousand, its a joke!

This is the same "expert" regulator, that reckoned we wouldnt hit the 25,000,000 until 2020 at the earliest! This year we are running at 5 times that! I really wonder are the CAR's figures based on anything or like anglo, do they simpy "pull them from their arse"?!
    The CAR has forecast that passenger numbers at Dublin Airport will grow by 3pc per annum over the next five years, hitting 24m by 2019.
    The DAA said increasing the passenger threshold required for a second runway to 25 million will push delivery of that new runway "into the next decade".

http://www.independent.ie/business/lower-charges-would-stifle-dublin-airport-growth-claims-daa-30577783.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Maybe the daa could throw a few quid at FR and EI to run a ton of santa flights out of DUB during December if it's that close to get them over the line! :)

Shhh dont drag out the FR haters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Ooooooh, controversial. But if they do that will people moan about it?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

andy_g wrote: »
    Shhh dont drag out the FR haters!!!

Or SNN haters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In reality though, we'll hit 25m and nothing will happen. Numbers will keep increasing, the airport will get more congested, and queues/holding will increase. Court cases will hold up the runway and thats even after a few years of delays and inquiries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

In reality though, we'll hit 25m and nothing will happen. Numbers will keep increasing, the airport will get more congested, and queues/holding will increase. Court cases will hold up the runway and thats even after a few years of delays and inquiries.

I agree I can see Dublin becoming the new Gatwick! One runway, congested, and at maximum capacity / usage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and sadly, Gatwick did 38million last year off one runway :( A better/longer one and more big planes than Dublin, but a sad reminder that the 25m trigger will probably go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

To paraphrase I know Gatwick,Gatwick is my Friend.

Dublin Sir is No Gatwick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And Gatwick has a completely different ATC system, with "land after" in operation, and the departures get cleared to line up a lot quicker than they do at Dublin. Also a lot of much larger aircraft, so more passengers and nothing like the problems of vortex wake separation to worry about.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

And Gatwick has a completely different ATC system, with "land after" in operation, and the departures get cleared to line up a lot quicker than they do at Dublin. Also a lot of much larger aircraft, so more passengers and nothing like the problems of vortex wake separation to worry about.

What's land after irish steve? min separation ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

...and sadly, Gatwick did 38million last year off one runway :( A better/longer one and more big planes than Dublin, but a sad reminder that the 25m trigger will probably go up.

Dublin doesn't have the Terminal Capacity to reach 38mil even if it managed the ground and ATC operations to facilitate this

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Razor44 wrote: »
    What's land after irish steve? min separation ?

Effectively, yes, it is. At Dublin, and to be fair most other airports, clearance to land will only be given when the runway is completely clear, land after is a way to allow the pilot's discretion to be used, at the time the clearance is given, the preceding traffic may well still be on the runway, but not clear, and in some cases, the landing traffic may land before the preceding has completely cleared, depending on the distance available.

It allows a considerably tighter separation on the arrival flow, which at places like Heathrow and Gatwick, makes a higher usage possible. It relies on the pilot of the aircraft being able to see the preceding traffic, so it can't be used in poor visibility.

In the same manner, at airports where single runway usage is the only operational method, an aircraft waiting will be given a clearance along the lines of "behind the landing "airline", line up and wait", which allows the pilot of the departing aircraft to start moving on to the runway as soon as he is happy that there is a safe clearance between the landing aircraft and the one that's waiting to depart.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They did that with City Jet didnt they?1

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Effectively, yes, it is. At Dublin, and to be fair most other airports, clearance to land will only be given when the runway is completely clear, land after is a way to allow the pilot's discretion to be used, at the time the clearance is given, the preceding traffic may well still be on the runway, but not clear, and in some cases, the landing traffic may land before the preceding has completely cleared, depending on the distance available.

It allows a considerably tighter separation on the arrival flow, which at places like Heathrow and Gatwick, makes a higher usage possible. It relies on the pilot of the aircraft being able to see the preceding traffic, so it can't be used in poor visibility.

In the same manner, at airports where single runway usage is the only operational method, an aircraft waiting will be given a clearance along the lines of "behind the landing "airline", line up and wait", which allows the pilot of the departing aircraft to start moving on to the runway as soon as he is happy that there is a safe clearance between the landing aircraft and the one that's waiting to depart.

Excellent reply thanks! :)

Would i be right in saying iv herd it referred to as H.I.R.O, high intensity runway operations or is that something different again?

And is this something an extended 10/28 could could handle? I.e instead of getting the parallel runway we'll get this for a time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Locker10a wrote: »
    Dublin doesn't have the Terminal Capacity to reach 38mil even if it managed the ground and ATC operations to facilitate this

The current capacity is 35 million max? That could be stretched if they really wanted. I think the more likely option is a private terminal 3 by the time it gets over 30 mill though.

The current capacity is 35 million max? That could be stretched if they really wanted. I think the more likely option is a private terminal 3 by the time it gets over 30 mill though.

DAA have a long term plan for T3 west of runway 16. But I imagine that's many years off and probably wouldn't get a green light till they hit 40m+ if CAR are still around and dictating aviation policy.

Personally I would start building it when passenger numbers hit 25million and have the capacity ready and not try and play catch up when the terminals and stands are choked. But that won't happen. Remember many said T2 was a white elephant it's capacity would never be needed and passenger numbers would never recover ! This year we may hit 2007-2008 numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Personally I would start building it when passenger numbers hit 25million and have the capacity ready and not try and play catch up when the terminals and stands are choked. But that won't happen. Remember many said T2 was a white elephant it's capacity would never be needed and passenger numbers would never recover ! This year we may hit 2007-2008 numbers.
    "Personally"? With whose money?
    T3 build could begin immediately if the airport was opened to competition and it wouldn't cost the taxpayer a penny.

T3 build could begin immediately if the airport was opened to competition and it wouldn't cost the taxpayer a penny.

If you're talking about the McEvaddy pipe-dream, if built at all it'd be a shed, unsuitable for international/long haul expansion and unconnected to any existing resources. It'd, basically, be useless for what is required.

no

• Advertisement

no

No to what?

The only proposal - and it was far from concrete - for a private third terminal at Dublin was for a shed for zero customer care short-haul low cost carriers. You know, the kind we apparently don't have serving us anymore.

Yes if it was my decision, hence "personally".

Obviously not my money, that wouldn't go far, funded through the usual methodology. But again its a pipe dream so don't get too wound up about it.

Do many airports around the world usually have multiple companies running different terminals in competition with one another ?

Do many airports around the world usually have multiple companies running different terminals in competition with one another ?
    Do many Cities on Island nations have airport management companies in monopoly positons operating contrary to the bests interests of the nation?

Do many Cities on Island nations have airport management companies in monopoly positons operating contrary to the bests interests of the nation?

I answered your questions.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

......... Remember many said T2 was a white elephant it's capacity would never be needed and passenger numbers would never recover ! This year we may hit 2007-2008 numbers.
    It was Mick O'Leary who said that and every taxi driver in Dublin parroted his remarks!!!
    And some people want him to run the country!!!

Ireland doesn't, anyway. Any belief the DAA are acting against the nation comes from the same wellspring as assuming T2 was overspec or cost a billion - fevered invention

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you look at the many of the privately owned airports in these islands outside of London their owners tend to treat them with contempt in terms of decent infrastructure.

At least T2 has raised the bar for Dublin in design standards for any private investment in a new terminal. We want efficiency but not a shed as an introduction to our country.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't, anyway. Any belief the DAA are acting against the nation comes from the same wellspring as assuming T2 was overspec or cost a billion - fevered invention

In terms of Dublin Airport, the DAA usually acts in the interest of Ireland. As for cork, well thats another thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In terms of Dublin Airport, the DAA usually acts in the interest of Ireland. As for cork, well thats another thing...
    Not that Shannon advocates can say that kind of thing.

• Advertisement

Not that Shannon advocates can say that kind of thing.

Oh pity about you. The DAA strangled Shannon and you know it. This is a Dublin airport thread, grow up and stop bringing my airport preferences into my unbiased post.

Advertisement