Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bus services are pretty poor from Dublin airport you have the 41 at a half hour frequency or you go on the 16, a tour of the North side and both buses are slow and hard to get to from either terminal. There is no doubt that its a complete joke compared to what you have at the airports of all European capitals and even at regional cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Does anyone know when the new runway is due to open, I know they are testing the lights and using light aircraft for trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Dublin has annual passenger traffic (pre-pandemic, and will be back at that level soon) of 30+million. Can anyone name me an airport in Europe with that level of traffic and with no rail or metro link of any kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The only two that are comparable are: Palma de Mallorca - bus only and 29m pax.

Paris Orly has a not very helpful Orlyval thing that connects you over to Anthony station on an RER line. So it is not direct to the city and it is very expensive for it. However, a Metró line is being extended out to ORY.

Apart from those two, Dublin is very much an outlier with annual traffic such as it does.

Both a mainline spur from Clongriffin and the Metro are needed since yesterday. Only until then we can really say we are taking public transport seriously and Dublin is properly connected. And only then can they consider charging patrons for dropping off at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t ever see a mainline spur happening. The line north of the city is basically at capacity, there isn’t room for any type of regular service to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don’t think that anyone is silly enough to suggest that such a spur be built unless there are capacity enhancement measures north of Connolly, including additional tracks.

DART+ is ignoring that elephant in the room, but the desired journey time improvements for the Enterprise cannot happen without the additional tracks.

Any airport spur would have to be viewed in that context and not based on existing infrastructure.

Either way it isn’t likely to happen until well after Metrolink is finally built.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The real problem is that bizarrely enough, people are travelling to and from the Airport not just from Dublin City Centre, but from all across the city. Only one corridor is served by the PSO bus service from the airport. Huge swathes of north Dublin have no direct connection to the airport, and I’d have to say that I’m still rather underwhelmed by the BusConnects proposals for the airport (they actually reduce the number of buses along the Airport-Drumcondra-City corridor).

Of the four PSO city bus routes that serve the airport (16, 33a, 41 and 102), only one is 24 hours a day (the 41), and none of the others facilitate workers or passengers travelling to the airport for early shifts/flights, or home late, which for North Dublin’s largest employment location is an absolute disgrace.

Until we get the basic transportation sorted out, with proper operating hours and a solid network of local bus routes, I think that it is very fair to say that the transportation links are poor.

That’s before we get to the lack of a proper bus station at the Airport (similar to that at Heathrow Central) with facilities for waiting passengers such as an indoor waiting room, real-time information, coffee dock and an independent public transport information desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

Another spur option WHEN Metrolink is finished might be to extend the metro to either Donabate or Rush & Lusk. While this would not be of any real benefit to people travelling from Dublin to the Airport (and yes, local bus services from parts of Dublin to the Airport are still poor even after Busconnects) it would facilitate people travelling to the Airport from Drogheda, Dundalk and NI. In the absence of tri/quad tracking the existing northern line, people travelling from the north could switch to either Metro or DART+ at Donabate or Rush & Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Has the DAA announced any new timelines around the major projects to increase capacity at the airport such as new parking areas around the 100 + 400 piers, the proposed taxiway improvements, access to the western airplane parking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

From what I read here things will stay as is and nothing will be done... Parking now getting expensive... New plan needed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

By their form you shall know them. DAA treat passengers as a daily hindrance and getting to and from the airport is not a DAA problem

1) Charge bus operators for stands

2) Charge taximen for a permit

3) Adding a public dropoff charge

4) no railway link

5) no light rail/tram link

6) no bus station worth the name ( and its one of the largest bus stops in the country ) , its a brutal experience for arriving tourists who want a bus and have to wait

7) a truly antiquated taxi waiting environment in both terminals both in terms of callups from the ranks , multiple parallel cab boardings and from the passenger waiting/queueing environment.

8) no decent experience for hailos/freenows ( all have to walk a bit )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I departed T1 last Sunday afternoon, and there were no tables to be had at any of the food outlets in T1.

I suppose we should be grateful for the T1X extension built a few years ago. It'd have been even worse without it.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Regarding uber/freenow/bolt or any other taxi apps, where exactly are cars using these services supposed to pick people up, is there any designated area? I'd imagine a lot of passengers arriving would go to uber as their default method of transportation.

Also the bus stops as mentioned before are a complete embaressment. I've only got the 16 into town a handful of times from the airport and both times I noticed tourists looking around in total confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Having a separate area for Ubers is fairly standard in Airports around the world. Airports don't want their taxi/bus spots blocked up by what are essentially private vehicles.

The use of app or phoning a taxi company to collect from the airport is not permitted. All taxis collecting at the airport must have a DAA permit and proceed to the taxi holding point and a regulated flow of taxis are called up to a specific terminal by the controller.

Some people get around this by collecting at the McDonald's / Circle K and hire from here. Having used that Mc D's before, there is always a number of taxis "waiting" around there. Presumably they made a decent journey to the airport and are hoping for a job to bring them back towards city centre or wherever.

One interesting thing that many don't know, all taxis collecting at the airport ranks, MUST have a working card machine to take payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dublin airport has queues not because it's a big airport but because it's a mismanaged one.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Most people here are happy... I went elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

At the risk of ruining a "good" thing, if you use FreeNow, the cars can usually collect you from Zone 18 which is equidistant from both Terminals. I usually hail them on my app as I come through the customs door, and we arrive at the same time. I've no idea where they are waiting - don't ask, don't tell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This is asked here frequently, delete of this has been posted already

“The North Runway will be opened officially on 24th August this year with operational flights beginning the following morning. The runway will be used on a phased basis initially.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Of course you can order a taxi pick up. Businesses do this all the time for arriving guests.

freenow use the area 18 pickup area which is right outside T2 and a short walk from T1. Obviously the DAA are fully aware of this and allow it. I use this option all the time due to the special breed of Dublin taxi driver that seem to work the airport rank.

• Advertisement

I was referring to picking up outside the terminals proper or at the TAXI ranks, not out passed all the buses in area 18.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And you've effectively just highlighted one of the reasons why DAA are looking to introduce charges for going in to the terminal areas, one of the issues that have not been dealt with for years is taxi and private car drivers blocking significant parts of the T1 departure road while they go to look for the passengers in arrivals that they are supposed to be picking up, and the result is the anarchy that prevails at certain times of day.

It's reached the point where there should be an automatic substantial fine for any vehicle left on the departure road, if the driver is not in the vehicle, or assisting people with loading or unloading, then they get fined, the only excuse being if they are assisting a mobility impaired or disabled passenger, and even that should not take long, as the airport services are responsible to get such passengers from the entrance to the aircraft, or from the aircraft to the doors of the terminal. There are just too many vehicles abandoned for long periods on the departures roadway, which then makes finding a space harder for everybody.

Having said that, another issue that should have been addressed years ago is the mixing of vehicles and pedestrians at the entrance/exit from the car park area, it's long past time where that crossing should have been moved onto a bridge over or under the departures road to more effectively segregate pedestrians from vehicles.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Huh? No one can pick up directly outside the terminals. And it wouldn’t make sense for hailing services to use the rank.

If DAA were to enforce a stringent set or rules on people setting down passengers (no leaving the car unattended, etc) and I mean really enforcing, then the charging proposals should not be necessary. I am sure there can be a solution for the small number of mobility-impaired, who should not be a pretext for enforcing strict rules for the vast majority.

A perennial Irish problem: great at passing laws, hopeless at enforcing them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Setting down is not the real issue, the problem is that the T1 departure road gets abused by people (private individuals and taxi drivers) picking up, and abandoning the vehicle because the person or group they are collecting is not there.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I agree, it's not setting down per se, but leaving the car and/or taking ages to do it. Enforce rules and generate some revenue by clamping the abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Took this this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

On Sunday night at around 11:30pm the taxi queue from T1 was doubled back most of the way to T2.

I can only imagine how long the wait must have been.

I walked down to Kealy's and hailed a cab on the road.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve heard the same reports from the city centre that night too, doesn’t seem to be an airport issue, just a general lack of taxi drivers. I wonder if the upcoming fare increases will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

ed sheerin concert was kicking out of croker, sucking up all the returning cabs from City Centre

Advertisement