Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The taxi issue was a big problem before covid too. Its only going to get worse. Time to deregulate and allow all taxis serve the airport in order to allow more taxis to pick up at the airport late at night when often other parts of the city are extremely quiet. Or at the very least it needs to be made more obvious that the likes of free now can be used in area 18 I believe it is.

What a terrible first impression our tourists are getting of our poor transport services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The lack of a rail connection is big, but compared to other cities, our bus/taxi/uber situation isn't out of whack. I don't know any airports that allow Ubers pickup at taxi ranks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I dont think anyone is suggesting allowing uber pickups ay the taxi rank. I think there should be a dedicated uber pickup area like the one in Heathrow for example.

On another issue, I'm concerned that with extra long haul arrivals coming in again for the summer period we may a major shortage I'd boarding gates in Terminal 2. I have noticed several delta and united flights sitting for long periods on a taxiway this week, it looked like there were no T2 boarding stands available, possibly due arriving early or due to departure delays. This was definetly a problem in 2019.

Also is it just me or is there a general lack of space in Terminal 2 during peak wide body times in the morning, not enough seats etc. I assume it's related to the Terminal allegedly not being intended to handle so much widebody traffic when designed. There could potentially be an additional 5-10 morning long haul flights (including the A321XLRs) in 2023 if things continue recovering towards 2019 levels.

There is a dedicated area - Area 18 outside the terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Any truth in the rumours that when opened the new runway will only be open for 2 hours a day at most ?

Also heard that the DAA is about to start construction of the underpass under 16/34 to the west apron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cravens

Hardly seems worth having with such limitations upon it. Now, when you say lunchtime, is that 12:00 or 13:00? Or some other time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wasn't there something about a missed Dail vote a couple years back which the government would have won easily if they TD's turned up but the opposition won and hence has caused issues with operational hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ok why build a new runway if not going to be used all the time, it's stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

From Lunchtime until after dinner it will be used for the largest gathering of food trucks anywhere in the world.

Every day.

There is a reason for everything, and I hope its that one.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Now only 0900 to 1100 I’m told.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

It has been announced that the new runway will open on a phased basis, so reduced hours are to be expected initially, probably for a few months and then it will eventually ramp up to the maximum permissible under current regs. Id imagine it will take time for Dublin ATC (both in the tower and those controlling arrivals and departures) to get accustomed to operating with parallel runways, new taxi routes, new standard arrival and departure routings etc. If its still only open for a few hours a day by summer 2023 then I'd really be getting concerned.

Until they have enough staff employed and trained up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

The thing has been under construction for years. How long does it take one bit of DAA (staff training) to co-ordinate with the other bit runway construction)? Any manager of this carry-on in the private sector would have been fired.

Ive no idea about the DAA side of things but the IAA certainly need staff and the training in a long process…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And I doubt that Covid has helped in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No doubt many whose controller training was suspended due to Covid moved on to other jobs and didn't come back.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ah right now that makes sense thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also this runway is designed for years to come. It will take the pressure off the current runway. If it was in use 100% of the time from Day 1 then a third runway would already be needed. Think of it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Cork and shannon are dreams for parking. I try to use either where possible. Both ideal hassle free for travelling with kids id imagine.But due to the lack of destination use dublin 50% of the time. I find taxis can be a disaster at certain times from dublin airport. Definately not a good 1st impression for tourist. If cork and shannon had better public transport options then would help a little bit of pressure of dublin in terms of security and taxi queues Its not unusual for someone to get the airport bus from galway to dublin for an early morning flight to say london as theres no service to shannon for early departures. If shannon and cork airports were better served then they could compete for some more routes too. With the M7 and limerick to galway motorway in recent years shannon should be doing better

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

There were no taxis in the Kesh at 23:30 friday night - we all had a bit of a wait in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Dunno if much has changed recently, but my flight flew over earlier and it looked well so posting a pic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Any idea why Level 1 of the Short Term Car Park at T2 has been closed for so long?

Not sure how long you're talking about, but I heard that they're building a more permamnent holding area than the current marquees there for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

“More permanent” holding area? Wouldn’t it be great if they invest that money in sorting the problem instead of permanently plastering over the cracks lol?!?

the opening of the new runway cannot come quick enough , and it needs to be open all day long, the queue for takeoff was savage all afternoon.

it was straight in and out 28L all afternoon, what on earth is wrong with using 34 as well , why did dual ops get dropped its horrible out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The original waiver was only for 0600-0730 iirc. It only works in a heavily departure biased flow as arrivals on 28 then need to cross an active 16/34 and get to their gate. Winds need to be favourable too.

It's also very labour intensive on ATCOs, of which, just like every other profession in the industry, there is already a shortage.

So is dual ops not allowed anymore then ? Re winds it seemed just normal 28L ops with no wind to speak of , and it was very heavily departure focused . I was counting landings vs takeoff on FR24. So it could be done. Just wondering why it wasnt done. a lack of trained ATCOs may as you say have been the issue but it strikes me the same constraint will apply to 28R so whats the point of a 2nd runway at all in that case

• Advertisement

16/34 not available due to construction of a critical taxiway from DS/C/DN to 16/34.

16/34 not available due to use of the runway crossing to facilitate vehicles to and from west apron and main airport.

16/34 not available due to installation of centreline lights and low viz lights.

Traffic is also still down on 2019 and ACDM is in use smoothening the flow of traffic out.

Advertisement