Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

FR24 reports 21 departures yesterday as opposed to 271 for Dublin (less than a tenth) and it's not all passenger traffic, plenty of cargo. Would FR24 not report most of the above (anything noisy at least), except for training touch and goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Yesterday was Feb 2nd and we are still very much in the winter off-season. We all know Shannon is less busy than Dublin but the airport will have a lot more traffic, including widebodies, from Spring onward. You might be surprised at activity levels at Shannon in the summer season. Certainly a lot more than the current level you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The new runway closes at 6pm unless 28L/10R is under maintenance. When the NIMBY on Newstalk was complaining 2 weeks ago, this had yet to occur, as 16/34 had been used previously in these instances. This week 28R was used in anger for dual ops for the first time due to maintenance on 28L and 16/34 not being suitable. The complainer 2 weeks ago was simply lying.

Virtually everyone complaining bought their house after the airport development plan was published. They just want the SIDs pushed somewhere else, not realising this will almost certainly affect more people. NIMBYs gonna NIMBY.

I think that's well established at this point. So, everyone who bought their house in North Dublin/Meath in the last 50 years should have known about the airport and the new runway. The runway isn't going anywhere, but the operational details are up for discussion. Knowing there's going to be a runway doesn't give carte blanche for unlimited noise and other types of pollution.

We all know Shannon is less busy than Dublin

I'm not bashing Shannon. Just pointing out you can't really compare the effect on a neighbouring golf course (or residents) at the two airports. Dublin will be a lot busier in the summer too.

I also think that people here who are calling other people NIMBYs should state their own interest. Do they work for the DAA, or live in an area that might be affected by changes to SIDs etc, and might be a secret NIMBY themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

I don't believe this. Planning permission for 28R/10L surely had nothing to do with the use of an existing runway, 16/34 (and I am not talking about night hours).

People seem to think that Planners should be absolutely omnipotent.

• Advertisement

Two closures at Dublin in the past 2 days due to drones. I hope they get the perpetrators. I just wonder if the incidents are linked to recent disquiet over noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

In the planning conditions that were attached to the approval for the new runway, back in 2007, ABP specifically curtailed the use of runway 16/34, having the effect that it could only be used when safety dictated its use - ie crosswinds on the parallel runways - and not when activities such as maintenance on the east/west runways was underway.

see condition 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭john boye

Hardly, have you ever heard the buzzing out of some of those drones? Would cause the same level of trauma and stress as the planes.

I know there is a new thread on this specific complainant, but It makes you think about the more generalised nonsense about aircraft noise, and the way the media pander to it.

• Advertisement

As a wise man, well aware of the issues of aircraft noise, smell of kerosene, black spots on your washing etc, said to me about 30 years ago, “As people get more affluent, their ears get bigger.” So very true.

Yep, until it’s time to book that flight to the Algarve…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

More drone activity reported this evening - approaches and departures currently suspended (1910z).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m convinced its activists at the center of it! There is little doubt this is a violation of ICAO Annex 17 and I’d also doubt the people behind it know how serious an offence it is they’re committing! It could well lead to another few names on some no fly lists once they're caught, and they will be caught

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Looks like two Ryanair’s diverting to Belfast again, this sort of disruption is getting silly. Why are the guards not out there ready to track the drone or disable it? What would happen now if an aircraft had an emergency or the rescue helicopter needed to be launched? Very selfish behaviour by some.

Edit: 3 Ryanair’s and 1 TUI off to BFS, 1 Ryanair off to SNN, 1 Ryanair off to MAN. Looks like operations have resumed.

Post edited by NH2013 on

I thought the daa had got hold of some sort of “countermeasure” equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why are the guards not out there ready to track the drone or disable it?

Because they don't have the capability to do so?

Disable it how? A drone is a very small target.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Not sure what you mean by activists, but whoever is responsible for this is breaking the law, and they probably know they are too. Hopefully they are caught.

Maybe activist is the wrong word, but a person or group of people protesting the new runway. That’s my belief but I’ve been wrong before.

It could well be an individual who isn't happy about it, but "a group of people protesting the new runway" seems pretty unlikely to me and sounds more like an attempt to smear those who have a genuine complaint, and every right to protest about it. Then again, we've had posters here describing them as having "their paws out" for compensation and needing to be "faced down". So, it doesn't surprise me that posters here would think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

We also have ill informed posters here who live 10kms from the airport who have said “this isn’t my battle” but who turned up to the public meeting strangely, who have been holding court here for the last 2 months. There’s all sorts here alright, talk about smearing.

"this isn't my battle" was in reference to arriving aircraft coming in over Station Rd in Portmarnock. I live to the north of the airport, which is where the public meeting was held. Last time I checked it's not illegal to attend a public meeting. I've been up front about my interest in the subject which is more than can be said for other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

It would be fair to say, and I would have thought obvious, that the majority of people in an Aviation forum would have some form of bias.

Post edited by moonshy2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Whoever is doing it is putting a significant number of lives at risk and as mentioned impacting the Coast Guard helicopter's ability to launch and rescue people in urgent need. I sincerely hope they are caught as they arelikely looking at a significant jail sentence and fine.

I hope you’re not saying I’m trying to smear genuine protesters?? Because I’m not…. Just the d***head flying his Xmas pressie over an active runway.

But you’re right, everyone has a right to protest, but it’s not an absolute right and there are responsibilities. No one has the right to protest as they see fit, but rather engage in peaceful protest. Now we can argue until the cows come home weather putting countless lives at risk is peaceful or not but that’s besides the point, what they are doing is downright stupid, dangerous and is unlawful interference with the operation of an aircraft, which is a criminal offence!

From your posting history I’m guessing you have concerns with the use of the new runway, which is fair, but I do believe that a genuine effort has been made to satisfy those seriously impacted by the new operation and for the rest, it’s just part of living near a very very busy airport.

And just to clarify, from your posting history I think you’ve been very reasonable with a lot of what you’ve said previously, so I’m not digging at you or trying to smear you in anyway.

Unless your the d**k with the drone 😜😂 (jokes)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Having seen the utter gobshite flying who decided to fly his Mavic mini during the Bray airshow in July I think its more likely just a scrote near the airport.

Climate activists would be publicizing their "actions"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gardaí investigating an incident of drone activity at Dublin Airport that occurred on Tuesday 24th January have arrested a man.

The man is currently being detained at Dublin Airport Garda Station under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 and investigations are ongoing, a garda spokesman said.

Good, hopefully a conviction would result in an appropriate sentence though I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

In UK, this case is being escalated to the Crown Court, as the potential Circuit Court penalty of 12 months imprisonment was “insufficient”

A bit of that approach could usefully applied here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

"The offence carries a penalty of up to life imprisonment with no provision in the legislation for a suspended sentence or probation to be imposed."

If you put the lives of hundreds of people at risk then you should be prepared for a stiff sentence. Yeah, the judge probably has a lot of discretion with "up to". But suspended/probation not an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

I know this question was asked before but I forget the answer!

Can anyone in the know confirm if Fasttrack is available at no extra charge for domestic flights?

TIA

Advertisement