Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have done it the last few times. It’s officially gone, but they usually either don’t know or just whisk you past. I chance my arm and haven’t been refused. Don’t forget, FR operating the KIR route, who actually sell fast track for all their flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

A report in yesterdays I.T. was about more complaints from Fingal Co Councillors about noise, and also a report that the DAA was to install several new noise monitors. One of these was to be in Bray Co Wicklow.

What are these guys smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Is there a link to that report in the IT?

Good to see new noise monitors being installed though. Some of the current locations don't have flights overhead at all and some population centres that do have flights directly overhead, don't have monitors in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Noise from many residential developments along the m50 infinitely worse and 24 hours. Paper doesn't refuse ink from the media. Surprised nobody has called for the airport to be shut down...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Hilariously Lucan will get more noise from Weston and less so Baldonnel than from Dublin. Strange siting to be honest.

As for Bray, where on earth do you start with that one ! The noise from the sea splashing on the very rocky beach is significantly louder than aircraft noise from Dublin airport. It’s a really strange call that one. I’d suggest overflying Europe to N America 330’s are way louder than a passing NEO or MAX in or out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

If the bloody Greens had their way it would be shut down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Indeed I was flying in from Düsseldorf this evening and we held for around 20 mins but thankfully landed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Was today the first day of the new revised SIDS?? How would one put the way point into Google maps or overlay, I'm in the hunt for free triple glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well the points merge approaches for both 28 and 10 on the south pass directly over Bray

The morning A330's and A321LR's love to come in fast and fly a tight pattern coming in from the states so you can get quite a lot of noise as they try to dump all that energy, typically down to 3000 feet before crossing the coast. If the NAT's push them south they cross somewhere between Dun Laoghaire and Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

Point merge isn't used early morning, it's direct to or vectors. A little knowledge.....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I’m sorry what ?

The NATs ?! What on earth does that have to do with the DAA, who have to install these monitors.

Noise monitors are only there to ensure aircraft do what they are meant to do when taking off up to 3000ft or in specific areas off 10R out to Howth or when descending on the ILS below 2000ft.

Meant to do=fly config’d appropriately using the appropriate power settings/speeds as written down in the AIP noise section.

In general around Dublin airport an aircraft above 3000ft is considered to be above the noise abatement area.

As poster above said “a little knowledge…”.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Hahahaha I knew it

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0225/1358865-north-runway-noise-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Have to admit I don't see how the new SIDs that comply with the planning permission are an improvement, now looks like the noise will be more concentrated as every aircraft is heading out over the same route whereas before at least every other aircraft split off earlier and spread the impact.

Either way, the new routes are in compliance with the planning permission, so that's it for the residents. The only other possible change the DAA might make would be to employ NADP1 on the northern runway where aircraft keep slower and climb faster for a longer period after takeoff to get to a higher altitude quicker.

This aside, the northern runway has been on the master plan for 70 years at this stage, and in fact was supposed to be the original east-west runway at the airport until they settled on building 28L first, so there's got to be very few people who only moved to the area over 70 years ago.

Added to that, most of the jets being used at the airport are particularly quiet, with the majority of flights being on A320s/NEOs/737NGs/MAXs/A330s and 787s, there's no scheduled service with older noisier jets anymore at Dublin from what I can see.

As well as being lazy and indulgent journalism, the article reflects nimbyism of the highest order. The residents just want the noise to be over someone else's head and appear to believe that living in the countryside confers extra entitlements. If the SIDs are compliant with planning permission, it's hard to see a court challenge succeeding.

• Noise abatement procedures can in some instances reduce operational safety margins of aircraft, and could reduce the amount of fuel that can be taken on board, therefore necessitating extremely expensive refuelling at another airport. I think safe and efficient airport operations supersede noise considerations. If you live near an airport expect aircraft noise. As was pointed out above there was a short north runway used by smaller aircraft, eg the ATR 42s. Back in the day there were the super noisy Tridents used by BA passing close over Beaumont etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

When you think back to the days of runway 05/23 and the noise generated by BAC 1-11s and Hawker Siddeley Tridents multiple times every day over Swords, Ballymun, Finglas, and this opposition becomes all the more bizarre.

The old short runway 11/29 was also used by BAC 1-11s incidentally.

Aircraft noise is still loud, but nothing like what was present 30 years ago.

While some homes & workplaces may indeed need increased insulation, there’s only so far that the airport can go.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,127 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They would be very silly indeed to start putting lots of money into a legal action they are destined to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

SIDS are not subject to a planning condition.

The old short runway was only rarely used by jets (Aer Lingus or Cityjet 146s, perhaps) unless in a howling gale. I do however recall a day when the wind was so strong that a few non-STOL jets landed on it, including an Iberia A300. That was in 1981 or '82.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm… never heard of noise abatement procedures reducing the amount of fuel that could be taken.

Must be a new thing maybe.

• Yes indeed I do remember the odd BAC 1-11 landing on that short runway!

• Not in Dublin, but I was on board a flight out of Canaries where pilot announced due to noise abatement restrictions at night his power settings would be in conflict, plane was totally full, full compliment of hold luggage, winds against us too, we had to refuel at Faro. It was unusual, but noise abatement procedures formed just part of his decision for the need to refuel, that was in his passenger announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Out of Dublin or out of the Canaries?

Has the smell of a 737-200 about it ?

Aer Lingus A320s from Lanzarote to Dublin have to tech-stop at FAO from time to time. Factors can include when the winds preclude a departure towards the sea at ACE. However this is really off-topic as far as Dublin ops are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

10L will be in use for take off today from 14:00-16:00 today - I think this may be the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That will be 'interesting'

Currently on 10L arrivals and 10R departures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm in the Kinsealy-Drinan area so it will be interesting to see what its like.

The likes of Malahide and Portmarnock may be wondering whats going on. Although there would be a lot more complaints than Ballyboughal I think the fact this will be a rare occurrence won't make much of a difference really.

Advertisement