Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Social media is implying that it happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Dunno, I have even clearer pics of that very incident on the phone?!? And I ain’t at the airport today 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It was today - despite the similarities, the photos depict different incidents. The door in Captain_Crash's images is lying differently to that in today's accident. Today's flight AA723 is cancelled.

God bless your eyes haha! They’re strikingly similar tho lol! Apols to anyone I doubted, I’ll hold my hand up high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

So is this the second time it's happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I think the argument for Point Merge for the 28s approach is strengthened by the fact the the majority of arriving traffic is from the eastern half of the compass anyway and it does keep the approach almost entirely over thee sea which is an advantage as you mention. A pair of S-shaped STAR as used in many busy airports would bring aircraft over urban areas and bring a lot of aircraft arriving from the east far west of the airport in busy periods. For the less used 10s, the argument for point merge might be less clear - I wonder is there an advantage to having the controllers not having to switch from one strategy to another as directions change? Edit: The S-shaped STARS might also be problematic for one or both directions given the proximity of the airspace boundary in the Irish Sea.

Regarding the aircraft capability, pretty sure just about all the commercial traffic now is following RNAV STARS where the 'arc' is not followed as a true constant distance from the DME but a series of waypoints along the arc so the autopilot flies short straight segments, making slight frequent turns.

(I've no expertise in this area, just a passing interest, and open to correction)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The RNAV STARS arc with multiple waypoints is the cludge to get round not being able to fly arcs on the automation, and it was an unmitigated nightmare to fly in an analog aircraft without RNAV, even more so if there was only one DME, which meant constantly switching from one DME to the other to keep things on track. In nasty weather and single crewed in a light aircraft, it made the workload a lot higher.

The point about the boundary being relatively close in on the Irish sea is also valid, and even with the significant increase in traffic off the Atlantic, and more flights from the southern approaches off the Bay of Biscay routes to Spain, the majority of inbounds are coming out of Europe, so getting things spaced is challenging, as is ensuring acceptable separation between arriving and departing traffic that's all needing to share the same limited airspace, and over the last few days with significant thunder activity in the Manchester and Liverpool area, there's been some very creative routing to get around the problems, I saw one flight from Manchester to Belfast going west over North Wales until almost Snowdonia before turning North, which with all the Dublin arrivals and departures made for interesting changes to ensure separation..

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The current Ryanair ng 737 hold 189 passengers, from 2027, they take delivery 0f the max10, that will increase passengers to 228... 20% increase...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/05/09/ryanair-orders-300-new-boeing-jets/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its got more fuel efficient energies than some of their current fleet too, iirc. So between that and carrying more PAX it should result in a decent decrease in costs per available seat mile. Which will result in lower prices for consumers, on the more competitive routes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

189 to 197 is one thing but I cant help but think of another 20% of people in the 100 gates waiting to board. At the moment it can get quite crowded indeed with very few places to sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its great for Ryanair, but it'll mean that it takes about 20% longer to board. Ryanair might have to adjust their 25minute turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

I see on FR24 that 10R appears to be used for both arrivals and departures this afternoon, with inevitable delays. WHat's up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What sort of routes would you expect Ryanair to use those bigger more efficient planes on? Would they be best doing the quick regular hops like Dublin-London or better deployed on the longer type flights that are quite busy like Dublin-Lanzarote?

Weather. 10L isn’t fully certified for low vis ops yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

fwiw all i see the maxs being used is on the long routes with a lot of cruise whereas DUB-LGW and so on is mostly up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevin2808

Excuse my ignorance but presume that is more of an issue for landing rather than take off or am I mistaken? In these circumstances would they be allowed use 10 L for take-off's or is it an absolute blockage of using the runway in that direction apart from emergencies (and AF1!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Well, between the endless delays in fully commissioning and using 10L/28R, and the lack of any provision for using 10L for take-offs, yet another example of our total inability to properly roll out infrastructure.

Nothing ignorant at all, every questions a good question. No they don’t use 10L for departures (although the planning uses the word “should” instead of “shall”, a minor yet important detail) so it’s single ops for now. It’s not really an issue at this time of day anyway!

It’s nothing to do with infrastructure planning or incompetence, a new runway can’t be certified for everything right out of the box. It takes time and 1000’s of movements before everything is signed off and good to go, it’s the same for every new runway in Europe (and likely the US too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

If they do end up taking 20% longer to deboard and board, and that ends up significantly hitting the turnaround times, they'll be kept to the longest flights to minimize the % delay to the flight. Much easier to eat a 10-15 minute delay to the deboard and boarding process on a 4hr flight than on a 40minute one.

That or very high demand routes into places with limited slots, or routes with very high seat prices like around 6Nations games.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

How long does it take to be certified? It’s open quite a long time now and probably the equivalent number of movements to 10 years in a smaller airport.

Someone with more knowledge can give a more detailed answer but I remember someone saying (on this thread I think) it can be more than a year! But don’t take that as gospel

Post edited by Captain_Crash on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and from reading on here you can't even begin to certify it for low-vis ops (basically fog) until well after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

The sign off of LVPs is a regulatory thing. They review the procedures and confirm they are compliant.

I think people are conflating the ILS system requiring hours in service with LVP procedures. The ILS system achieved its hours in service within 6 weeks of opening.

Procedures should have been signed off on last year, delay is purely on the IAA side at this point and has been since runway opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Anyone know if ethihad have removed the a350-1000 from the Dublin route? Hasn’t been on it in a while and even the 787-10 has been rare the last few weeks. Mainly operated by the 787-9 the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

Does anyone know when the new 'North Dock' gates are due to be built, I'm guessing they are aiming for summer 2025 or later / after the new Ryanair hangar is completed.

The design looks fairly basic so I'm assuming they are intended for Ryanair type ops.

https://www.idom.com/en/project/new-north-dock-at-dublin-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Nothing is set in stone but the new Ryanair hangar is due to open in Q2 2025 so they should be able to start then. Minimum 2 year build I'd say after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

There's jet bridges, so I would imagine it's more for the Hainan, Air Canada, etc that are coming into Pier 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

So we are talking late 2027 before a couple of gates and bridges are built and open? That’s crazy. Terminal 3 should be half way built by then but I’m sure it still won’t have even been thought about by then either 🙄

Advertisement