Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

lxflyer wrote: »
    The civilianisation process is underway, but is not due for completion until the end of the year.

The process had nothing to do with the DAA, but rather the Department of Justice and INIS/GNIB.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Minister%20Fitzgerald%20announces%20major%20immigration%20civilianisation%20initiative

Ah right! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jack1985 wrote: »
    That's absolutely terrible, did the DAA learn nothing from the UK Border Force delays up until recently?

And this is why the daa have been going mental to get this issue sorted as it's a reflection on the airport even if it's out of their hands.

(sorry jack1985, not picking on you, just your post exemplified the point perfectly.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Flying back from Lanzarote last summer, we were one of about six Ryanair flights that got in in a ten minute window. They'd closed the double doors between passport control and the 1xx gates, leaving everyone stranded for twenty minutes until someone bothered coming along and opening them. It's a really bad impression, especially when you're arriving in after 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Plenty of people not happy about the fuel line to the airport which has being submitted for planning approval!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Plenty of people not happy about the fuel line to the airport which has being submitted for planning approval!

Presumably they are also worried about the natural gas pipes that run along every road too?

• Advertisement

Far safer to have it drive along the roads in tankers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

And the overhead power lines that kills cows in the fields....apparently. That's the problem with democracy. You let the tree hungers have a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

markpb wrote: »
    I've never seen anything like that. I presume something happened to create a situation like that?

I faced the same (even longer queue) situation on arrival in T1 Dublin last Friday so it was not a one-off. The Security people in charge seem to operate on the basis that only one plane disembarks at a time. They appear to have no comprehension that, for example, in the evening a whole bunch of Ryanair arrivals can offload nearly 1,000 customers but there is still only one booth open until they send for more staff but, by the time they arrive, the queue is winding around and back up the stairs. There appears to be an unwillingness to prepare in advance for a spate of arrivals and/or they couldn't be bothered to look it up.

Unless someone directs them to get the finger out Dublin's reputation will be tarnished.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mebuntu wrote: »
    ..... There appears to be an unwillingness to prepare in advance .........

Oh hello Irish civil service planning and bureaucracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I faced the same (even longer queue) situation on arrival in T1 Dublin last Friday so it was not a one-off. The Security people in charge seem to operate on the basis that only one plane disembarks at a time. They appear to have no comprehension that, for example, in the evening a whole bunch of Ryanair arrivals can offload nearly 1,000 customers but there is still only one booth open until they send for more staff but, by the time they arrive, the queue is winding around and back up the stairs. There appears to be an unwillingness to prepare in advance for a spate of arrivals and/or they couldn't be bothered to look it up.

Unless someone directs them to get the finger out Dublin's reputation will be tarnished.

It's lucky then that they barely examine the passports and almost wave you through. Try somewhere like Germany or Italy, where they actually do what they're supposed to do and give it more than a mere cursory glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

FWVT wrote: »
    It's lucky then that they barely examine the passports and almost wave you through. Try somewhere like Germany or Italy, where they actually do what they're supposed to do and give it more than a mere cursory glance.

Apparently the amount of passengers travelling on false documents out of Italy to UK and Ireland has reached ridiculous proportions. All supposedly exit checked by Italian immigration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

veetwin wrote: »
    Apparently the amount of passengers travelling on false documents out of Italy to UK and Ireland has reached ridiculous proportions. All supposedly exit checked by Italian immigration.
    Italy have a policy to let illegal immigrants pass through; they figure the whole of Europe should bear the burden.
    German police are something else. I'm a regular traveler and they leave you standing in front of them long enough to feel uncomfortable, scan passport which takes an eternity and then look you square in the eye for a few seconds to see if you'll flinch. backpack got comprehensively swabbed last week too with walk through scanners much more sensitive than the ones on the Irish side.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What about those e-passport automatic gates? I almost never see them being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

lord lucan wrote: »
    And this is why the daa have been going mental to get this issue sorted as it's a reflection on the airport even if it's out of their hands.

(sorry jack1985, not picking on you, just your post exemplified the point perfectly.)
    Jack1985 wrote: »
    Understand it's under the remit of the INIS, didn't the DAA have a major push for civil servants to run passport control (INIS instead of GNIB) to avoid these sort of issues? What's gone on? :confused:

It's a pain that DAA can't control the civil service.

What DAA do have in their control is where the UK flights come into - they don't require passport checks. So those travellers should bypass passport control...

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I really can't understand why they put all the UK flights through the immigration booths. They could cut the throughput in half if they just organised themselves properly. Almost every airport in the UK has a corridor that bypasses immigration for UK & Irish arrivals, and lands you directly into the baggage hall. They can even manage it in Heathrow terminal 5...but Dublin?. It's a pity because I find Dublin to be one of the best all-round airports for service, size, nice staff etc.

I understand it's probably at the request of the INIS rather than the DAA's fault for not providing the facility to do it. Each has different priorities I guess. One doesn't get rewarded for short queues and one doesn't have to take responsibility for immigration. Still, incredibly frustrating. Particularly if it's so important to check ALL passports then surely more than a cursory glance should be given. Rant over. Thread tangent over also!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

bk wrote: »
    What about those e-passport automatic gates? I almost never see them being used.

I've only used them once but they were painfully slow, certainly no faster than going to a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I've only used them once but they were painfully slow, certainly no faster than going to a human.

Used these last summer with a brand new passport and the two machines i tried wouldn't scan my passport. Ended up having to go over to the booths and show it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah, but the thing is, they don't need to be faster, because they can all be active 24/7, and they can fit a lot more of them in than staffed booths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    I really can't understand why they put all the UK flights through the immigration booths. They could cut the throughput in half if they just organised themselves properly. Almost every airport in the UK has a corridor that bypasses immigration for UK & Irish arrivals, and lands you directly into the baggage hall. They can even manage it in Heathrow terminal 5...but Dublin?. It's a pity because I find Dublin to be one of the best all-round airports for service, size, nice staff etc.

I understand it's probably at the request of the INIS rather than the DAA's fault for not providing the facility to do it. Each has different priorities I guess. One doesn't get rewarded for short queues and one doesn't have to take responsibility for immigration. Still, incredibly frustrating. Particularly if it's so important to check ALL passports then surely more than a cursory glance should be given. Rant over. Thread tangent over also!

Thats a bugbear of mine, it really irritates me. Gatwick have just 'installed' a no passport entry via a seperate hall into the arrivals area for UK/Channel Islands. You used to have to join the main queue and just show your boarding card, but they even got rid of that.

I'm sure they have their reasons here for what they do, I hope its not apathy, laziness or the status quo, but it really annoys me when I land in Dublin from the UK and have to show a passport. Not because it bugs me having to show ID, but because I didn't have to do it going the other way and it slows everything down so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Reference Gatwick,they were using buses for our EI flight to that UK/CI channel.Anyone know is that going to be a permanent arrangement?

• Advertisement

The new daa lounger after USPC is a welcome development

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

de biz wrote: »
    Reference Gatwick,they were using buses for our EI flight to that UK/CI channel.Anyone know is that going to be a permanent arrangement?

I'd imagine so - that way they can segregate passengers from the CTA and those from outside the CTA.

That was the issue at Heathrow too until gate 78-90 arrived.

I'd imagine that the UK Border Agency felt it would be too easy to breach.

They'd need gates with a dedicated CTA inbound lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The new daa lounger after USPC is a welcome development

There is? Oh thank goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Apparently the Irish Government changed the rules in 1997 so that only Irish or UK citizens don't have to show their passport on UK-Ireland flights and as these flights will often have people from outside these regions they put everyone through passport control. Irish or UK citizens apparently only need to show their boarding pass and a form of photo ID.

Many UK airports also suffer from outrageously long passport control queues everyday, many with waiting times over an hour and it's a big issue their too. Again these occur at rush hour times in the morning and around 11pm at night.

MJohnston wrote: »
    There is? Oh thank goodness!

Expected to open by November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Expected to open by November.

Wonder how it will work, will they accept ff cards or will it be like the normal DAA lounge where you have to pay €20 pp?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Quick question about the west apron, as i understand it cant be used for, say busing passengers out to aircraft on stands there? as it has no water to the stands etc, is security also a problem? just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why its pretty much a failure? or was it supposed to be an overflow? iv always wondered why its hardly used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Razor44 wrote: »
    Quick question about the west apron, as i understand it cant be used for, say busing passengers out to aircraft on stands there? as it has no water to the stands etc, is security also a problem? just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why its pretty much a failure? or was it supposed to be an overflow? iv always wondered why its hardly used.

The west Aprons intended use is for the 2nd wave of the 1st wave departures, there's not enough space to park all the a/c on the apron so they're towed there over night and towed back in the morning as the stands become available

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

billie1b wrote: »
    The west Aprons intended use is for the 2nd wave of the 1st wave departures, there's not enough space to park all the a/c on the apron so they're towed there over night and towed back in the morning as the stands become available

ahhh okay, so in the middle of the night its quite busy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Razor44 wrote: »
    ahhh okay, so in the middle of the night its quite busy?

Busy until around 02:30/03:00, nice and qiet then until around 5am

Advertisement