Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

ABP cannot approve it ( or deny) until daa provide them with requested information which I think they have until the middle of this month to do so. Discussed in thread further back.

Couldn’t have put this any better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Local Elections in 2024 - simply councillors pandering for a handful of votes (and ignoring the number of potential voters in their LEAs who actually work in the airport or for airlines using the airport).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd be fantastic if the employers at the airport launched an awareness campaign for their staff before the election - let them know which local politicians are working against the airport, and possibly going to cost people their jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I still don’t understand how we are in a climate emergency and are being told to reduce our carbon footprint yet people here want to increase the numbers of planes thus increasing damage to the planet and accelerating climate change.

With respect, life is for living. People want to travel/ get a few weeks sunshine and are entitled to do that. That should never be taken away from people. Anyone who feels the can save the environment by not flying, and don’t fly themselves, fair play to you and more power to you but don’t be expecting everyone else to follow suit or call for the easy access for people to get away to be taken away. Anybody who calls for it to be reduced and take flights themselves can also zip it.

it is also a capital city airport bringing in 9b to the economy.Think that itself answers your question on why it should expand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You are jumping to conclusions as to what the views of posters here on climate issues are. In my experience as a poster, there are few enough posts proposing increased activity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This isn't a climate change/environmental Forum.

I've deleted a few non relevant/tangential posts.

Dublin Airport infrastructure is the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Hahahaha what are you doing here so.

Anyway back on topic... Ryanair giving out about the 200m tunnel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hard to believe the govt would stand over such a cap knowing the damage it would do to tourism and the wider economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

This forum seems to be obsessed the 'needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few argument'. I don't think of it in those terms at all. Moreso I think of it like:

Project benefitting the many at the expense of the few = expensive project

Project benefitting the many at the expense of the few, without proper compensation/noise abatement measures = Denial/La La Land/Cynical imposition of discomfort on victims.

When it doesn't affect you or if your income depends on it, fobbing off the victim is the easiest thing in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You do know that many of these "victims" were fully aware before they bought their homes that a new runway was planned for 60 years.

I think most of these "victims" are chancers just trying to get money from the DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The likes of the space shuttle uses a mix of Hydrogen and liquid oxygen when taking off, A Hydrogen tanker more or less weighs the same full/empty and another issue is you cannot see the flames if it is on fire by a human eye.

It has been discussed time and time again on this forum. Many people on this forum are effected by aircraft noise but simply choose to not pay attention to it and carry on with life as normal, myself included. Unlike the north runway residents who at this stage are just enjoying the regular paper/radio/tv interviews and the oh poor me situation.

The north runway residents are incredible in the way they have acted over the last year. Not in a good way. They over exaggerate and make incorrect statements to make themselves heard which is exactly what they accuse the daa of doing. Examples - planes are illegally using flight path- nothing illegal about it, flight path from north runway now flys over 30,000 people (Ashbourne etc) - this is an incredible one to me as it’s so wrong. The current north runway flight path does everything possible to avoid flying directly over areas like Ashbourne, but rather beside it, over rural areas, minimising the noise!!. Another one, the noise from the north runway keeps me awake all night - that’s amazing considering it doesn’t operate past 11pm 98 percent of the time!

More houses were to be considered for insulation by the daa (which they weren’t required to do) but again, the residents appealed the quotas system and therefore have now delayed this insulation also. So plenty of schemes have been offered.

Finally, the we researched before we bought and planes were never meant to fly here is another line that drives me mad. If you are within 15km of an airport, expect noise, if you don’t hear any currently, great, but that doesn’t mean it always will, or always have to stay silent, just because you bought a house there!!

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

D12367

For me, Your rant is very valid. I said before I’m from Newbridge, & live about 500 mts from the main Dublin to Cork train line. The express doesn’t stop in Newbridge but hurtles through horn ‘blaring’ at (guess ) 150 kph. We don’t hear it we are so used to it. Anytime I have visitors they notice it straight away and remark to us about it. But as I said we are oblivious to it.

So, that’s why I am fully in agreement with Your ‘rant’.

Does it really not fly over areas like Ashbourne and Ratoath?

Not sure that’s entirely true.

There you go. If that went out in a straight line and then turned it would go directly over rathoath and Ashbourne.

Ok but there are planes all day going over Ashbourne and Ratoath at the moment.

I presume they are from runway one so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just to show the two different flight paths being used this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It depends on the SID being used, it’s a right turn at 650ft (to 308°) to intercept the DW128 waypoint. There is a minimum climb rate required but there may be some variation as to where an aircraft is when it reaches 650ft (and thus some variation as to the heading they’re turning to).

Once at the aforementioned waypoint they head either left or right depending on the SID they they’re flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

Buy's house near airport

Complains about plane noise

profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Saw a house between St Margaret's and Ward Cross that's only about 5 years old with a sign up saying their kids can't play outside 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Probably started construction around the same time as the North runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So what? Hydrogen burns perfectly well in air (you can even burn it in your car with minor changes)

Any sort of fuel tank will weigh the same full or empty. Yes hydrogen has a low energy density even as a liquid which is why I said it does present engineering challenges for use in aircraft.

So what again. They've used methanol for motor racing in the US for decades, its flame can't be seen either yet they still regard that as safer than petrol.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

My story:

Bought near the airport

Insulated house

I'm grand

Have enormous sympathy for people who aren't being protected from it because I know how loud it is in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So any fuel tank will way the same? Don't know about that speaking from experience. And if they do decide to use Hydrogen there be a lot of infrastructure changes needed regarding storage and refueling of aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whoops I meant to say the mass of the tank will still be there when the tank is empty, you said this for hydrogen but it's true of anything. As for infrastructure changes well that's basically saying that if things aren't going to stay the same, they're going to have to change...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Surely today aircraft should be landing on 28R and taking off on 28L due to taxi damage on 28L?

Aircraft currently in holding patterns with some diverting due to damage on taxi way from 28L.

If aircraft were to use 28L to depart, 28R for landings there would be no delays or diversions as said taxi way would not be required.

Anyone any ideas as to why this isn’t happening as planning allows for 28R to be used for landings in conditions like this.

Post edited by dublin12367 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Small Country

I'm only an observer, I'm not a pro in the aviation world. Perhaps the failure to use 28R for arrivals/ 10L for departures is due to technical issues - e.g. ILS not fully commissioned, LVPs in operation that the north runway isn't ready for yet and so on. But a casual observer would be scratching their head and maybe surmising that the IAA/DAA are determined not to cause aggravation to the good citizens along the extended centreline of 10L/28R for as long as they can - regardless of the delay, holding and diversionary impacts of restricting use of the north runway?

But maybe there's someone with technical knowledge here to throw an answer in?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I'd imagine it was an accumulation of pattern 7B (preference to use old runway for landings in westerly operations Frequently Asked Questions | North Runway | Dublin Airport) , traffic loading (probably more departures than arrivals) and the repair works going over schedule...

It takes a lot to switch ops from one runway to another, something Dublin airport are still getting used to. It was probably just easier to hold then divert a certain number of flights.

• Advertisement

DUB has lost the Ethiopian west bound stop over to Rome. Presumably mainly due to the ongoing row over night time flights. Not the biggest of losses but still a loss all the same, caused by the residents…?

Advertisement