Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The Runways are nowhere near being overloaded. The choke point is a lack of gates, which Fingal are determined it seems to prevent being resolved.

ATC constraints at DUB are due to insufficient staffing, which is due to a global shortage of Controllers, which will be addressed in the coming years as recruitment and training is at maximum speed for the next decade. The airlines have broadly agreed to pay increased user charges to fund this recruitment across Europe as they have seen the impact on their business from Flow Control etc this past summer.

There is also a shortage of Pilots, Engineers, Loaders, Dispatchers, pretty much every profession in the industry. Now is a very good time to get into the industry, Ts & Cs are only getting better to lure people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why even allow clown operations, i.e local authority to have any say in critical infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

What’s likely to happen is,

application for expansion to 40m sent by daa to fingal, fingal approve it, residents appeal it, application goes to ABP, residents go to every newspaper, radio station and whinge whinge whinge, poor us etc, application gets approved by ABP but with an extra 12 month delay…

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

A coffee shop here would clean up.

A 40m cap. Its so irish and what 4 years or so when 40,000,000 is hit ? Back to square one ?

Why dont FCC cap the m1 and m50 motorway, blanch Town Centre, ikea etc.. . ?

• Advertisement

Kenny Jacob’s said today that if it wasn’t for the cap, Dublin would be looking at 36 million passengers next year.

Also if this is due to traffic, lol! Luas finglas isn't due until is it nearly 2040 ? A sub 4 km extension to the green line ... metrolink? If it ever gets built. All the timeliness are glacial. So its a bit hard to believe that government are serious about congestion and pollution... absolute waste of space hypocrites... put in buses, oh yeah, you'll get the masses out of their cars with them alright, glacial, stinking, loud, totally unreliable buses that stop every ten meters and still accept cash, in the year 2023...

Regarding the above post, the closing date for observations on this is the 14th.

daa today said the new infrastructure application will be lodged on the 15th.

Interesting coincidence that it’s the day after or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IKEA has capacity limits. They had to operate pay parking at peak periods for the first while to dissuade customers until the M50 upgrade was complete for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are completely independent applications so, no.

• Advertisement

I'm aware their opening hours are restricted, I think they opening at ten am. But there is no cap on the number of shoppers permitted. Its mind blowing. We don't even have a transport system here and they are worried about congestion. Maybe if they had been bothered actually delivering some proper rail infrastructure here since the foundation of the state, but the last 20/30 years in particular, we wouldn't be in this position...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,983 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I read a good post on the Infrastructure forum yesterday:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121386284#Comment_121386284

Ireland has been poor since the foundation of the state (at least - arguably it was Act of Union) and has only been in a position to spend anything on infrastructure since the 1990s. Initially that spending was focused on roads - not an unreasonable strategic decision given the state of the country at the time. This spending resulted in an incredible transformation - from the most dangerous roads in western Europe (in terms of fatalities) with barely 10km of actual motorway to nearly the safest roads in Europe and with 1000km of high quality modern spec motorway. Two years ago, government strategy officially switched to allocate the majority of the transport capital budget to public transport infrastructure when previously PT spending was little more than 10%. The complete transformation of the road network in the space of 25 years shows what consistent annual capital spending can do. If the current strategy of spending most of the money on PT is maintained for 20 or 30 years, then the same is absolutely sure to happen for public transport.

If we'd already started building a motorway system in the early 1970s then we could have moved on in the early 1990s to transform public transport. But we had no money in the 70s and 80s, and then again in the late 00s-early 10s... the most important thing now is to just keep funding going for PT every year no matter what

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a nice bit of positivity.

A lot of people do seem to look at our current prosperity and compare us to places like London/Paris/Vienna/Madrid etc and wonder why our infrastructure is so comparatively bad. But those places all had centuries of wealth, we've only had it for appraching 30 years (with a 5 year 2008 recession gap in the middle) now.

DUB for all its faults is a very well built, well run airport compared to anywhere in the world outside of rich parts of Asia. If/when the transport infrastructure on the ground gets upgraded it'll be one of the better airports of its size in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Interesting, if this becomes standard practice it will bring some relief to what would otherwise become a very tight operation for CBP gates

This country is a joke...

Government need to intervene an overturn that stupid cap. Not sure if they can/ will though.

Looking forward to seeing the planning application on the 15th and what it contains. 2 billions worth apparently.

If the cap is increased to forty million only, they need to immediately seek another increase...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Like it or not, planning operates independently of Government, for generally very good reasons. The laws are made by the Oireachtas, not the Government, so any changes would have to be be made at that level. There is new planning legislation being drafted but whether it is proposed to give Government any new powers, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Surely one big problem with our planning setup is that Nationally important strategic assets and projects are subject to local authority decisions. Any such projects, especially in transport, will be spread over several counties, or affect areas wall beyond (say) the Fingal boundary.

I'm not arguing that locals should have no say, but neither should they have veto power on matters of national importance.

Dublin Airport is of national importance.

https://dublinairport.exhibition.app/

From the daas’s website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Not so long ago the industry as whole was letting staff go with the pandemic,Even if the T&C have improved you would wonder would people who worked in the industry be tempted back to it. The industry over the years has had its good and bad times. The staff let go during the pandemic probably got jobs elsewhere with possibly the same salary without the 247365 shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Seems a little unambitious to me.

We'll be back in a few years with another planning application.

Still, will be nice to see some capacity improvements.

My thoughts too. Seems like a lot of nothing for 2 billions worth. It will help a bit but very limited. If below had been built for the peak summer season just passed, all the new gate stands would have been full due to the number of arrivals that had to wait for a gate. Granted it cuts out the wait time on the apron many arrivals faced this year but it’s a very short term solution. Apron 7 looks like it was just thrown in as an after thought and I’m surprised there’s no connection or link from it, to the west apron, where the new tunnel will emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

That new mid field apron behind the ATC tower and to the south the new runway makes it pretty obvious how much they will need the land owned my mcevaddys in the future.

I don’t think the McEvaddy brothers own the land the new apron 7 is on. I think apron 7 is strategically placed in this planning application in response the McEvaddy brothers land up for sale but I could be mistaken on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Your correct, the McEv’s own a good portion of the land to the west between the two runways, but not all of it. The DAA Also own a decent amount of it!

I’d say the DAA want the McEv’s land more so than need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

Will the road where the Boot Inn is have to close?

Advertisement