Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You'd wonder who is advising them but them some people feel they don't need advice. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

My cynical take is that this yet another part of their very well managed ruse to try get the price of the land up. I cannot understand (well I can really) how the media fall for all of this. They are basically just reposting McEvaddy press releases. Like it's not so long ago they were shouting about having international investors queuing up to buy the land....where have they gone?

I'd say their MO now is to try to make it look like they are ready to start building a terminal so that they can then launch a competition/monopoly claim against the DAA for frustrating their business, in the hope that either the DAA are forced to give them access or buy the land from them.

Getting planning permission for something like that would cost many millions, particularly on design alone. There's no way a bunch of lads that were a few months ago wanting to sell it off to the highest bidder are now suddenly going to spend millions on a design process, that they could haev done years ago anyway.

Anyone who is a serious potential purchaser would presumably undertake due diligence and quickly recognise the various stories about the McEvaddys' grand plans for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well they must be getting decent income from the land in the meantime, otherwise they'd sell up!

They've been holding out for all these years, they clearly aren't under any pressure to sell, which suggests it generats eincome which more than covers their cost of ownership. They should be hit with the vacant site tax, I'm sure they'd be much more willing to negotiate then.

No doubt they'd be better off selling, even if they just blew the money rather than investing it. They have obviously convinced themselves of a value and are unwilling to accept that nobody else agrees with that valuation. Subconsciously they probably prefer the fantasy of an airport terminal to the reality of owning some farmland.

Ryanair granted permission for €40 million aircraft maintenance hangar at Dublin airport https://jrnl.ie/6247191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They should be hit with the vacant site tax, I'm sure they'd be much more willing to negotiate then.

Currently it's just agricultural land being used for agriculture, so that's not possible.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

What’s does this relate to? I thought this was part of Fridays application?

“In a separate decision, Fingal Co Council granted planning permission to daa for an extension to the existing North Apron last week.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Theres absolutely nothing to suggest the land currently generates decent income. As I said, its use is quite public - its underutilized agricultural land. This is very verifiably not a generator of large amounts of income.

Given their increasingly hare-brained attempts to sell the land I wouldn't be assigning any sort of credit/logic to their thought processes. From the evidence we have they're much more likely to just be being stubborn holding onto it, against all economic reasoning.

The DAA offered them €75mn for the site for reference, which at a fairly conservative 5% p.a. investment return currently would give a yearly income of just under €4mn a year. Its a 261 acre site, which at an average farming income of about €150 per acre (which is doing well for just small numbers of cattle/sheep, no tillage) would give them an income of about €40k p.a. from it.

Thats the level of financial incompetence we're dealing with here, they're likely literally losing millions of euros of potential income per year by holding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

There seems to be a lot of building happening within the Vicinity of the airport, Mainly new warehouses getting built at Horizon biz Park and a new development at Kilshane Cross.

Would the brothers not develop their land for this purpose as the 3rd terminal is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

It is zoned only for airport use so any other development is impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Even getting a serious architectural design for an airport terminal in to Fingal for planning permission must be a hefty sum. Good money after bad. They speculated decades ago on this land, even at €75 million they must be quids in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

260 acres of good quality farm land generates an income well in excess of €40k pa all things considered. Selling would no doubt see a good go to CGT etc. so they wouldn't be walking away with the full selling price.

I'm not saying that they are earning a fortune from the land (I literally said "a decent income") but they have no doubt been enjoying a high standard of living for decades from it. Of course they could do much better were they to release the value of the land but they obviously aren't under any pressure to do so. To suggest that they are getting an average persons wage between them from the land is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

It really doesn't, particularly when its use is limited by the airport (ie, no tillage). My figures are direct from TEAGASC: https://www.teagasc.ie/news--events/daily/farm-business/land-rental-prices-where-to-next.php

Feel free to provide any evidence you have for their "decent income" and "high standard of living" from the land that contradicts this, with sources rather than your own speculation. Because the data we have access to (average income per acre for the use the land in question is being used for) completely contradicts your theory.

These articles are getting more and more frustrating and ridiculous. Planes “ruined Christmas.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The airport that is famously one of the only ones globally that actually shuts for Christmas Day?

Why let facts get in the way of a good headline sure 🤷🏻‍♂️

The fella who says he 'just wants his peace and quiet back' but refuses to talk to DAA about noise insulation grants... yeah that's pretty special

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The McEv’s are worth hundreds of millions, they no doubt enjoy a find standard of living already, but none of that is because of the land between the runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

North runway will be in mixed mode tonight with arrivals and departures on 28R from 2100-0500.

Essential maintenance on southern runway. I'd imagine lots of additional whinging online tonight.

I struggle to understand how such a small group gets so much media attention. I know it was discussed on the group before but for such a small number, stating incorrect facts and exaggerating the noise to a massive extent, it’s unbelievable.

There is a user on X that is based in Rathoath who posts screenshots of the flight paths, complaining about 10 times a day giving out about them off both north and south runways. The aircraft are at 6-8000 feet!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Yeah that’s one sad man in Ratoath. Imagine being that thick that you post a screenshot complaining about an aircraft off 28R going over Ratoath, when a departure off 28L goes over Ratoath west to east at the exact same height and you also post a screenshot proving that point.

Even if aircraft went straight ahead off 28R they’d still go over Ratoath like the 28L SID but just west to east not east to west.

To the man in Ratoath, you have had aircraft crossing above Ratoath for at least 35 years at the exact same height you are complaining about, why is it NOW all of a sudden a problem for you ?! It was even worse when EI had 747s and there was A300s and 737-200s, DC9s etc etc etc. Some would be cynical and say it’s something to do with money but I wouldn’t dare now would I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It’s the same 4/5 people on X that do the most complaining nearly every second day. If they had a hobby they wouldn’t notice half as much!

A Cllr. on X Saying that residents under 28L should send an observation to ABP about night flights, quota etc , particularly because of all the new builds it effects in D15. New builds should not be given any opportunity for input considering the runway is there 30 odd years and they knew what they signed up when they purchased.

Fm104 had someone on today saying she just wants her lie in on Saturday and Sundays back (Ashbourne).

These statements are all ridiculous and I seriously hope ABP and Fingal take them with a pinch of salt, but again I would be doubtful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Were there some data a couple of years ago showing that most noise complaints were from a tiny number of people, and one fanatic complained hundreds of time a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. From Ongar so not even close.

Clearly automated complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

He was caught out during COVID, complaining about departures that never operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I wonder is it the same Councilor who blocked me during the construction of the new RWY,He was complaining about the noise of planes taking off, He blocked me when I told him the estates around D15 are relatively new compared to the airport &RWY. And I added the fact that I'm a resident in one of these new estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why are the DAA only asking for 40 million passengers in their application? We'll be back here in 3 or 4 years time.

The cap is stupid and should be abolished.

When in the Oireachtas last month they briefly mentioned a further expansion application will be submitted after this one. Not sure on how near in the future that will be but I would say they are trying to get this approved and the night time flights etc approved first before they submit any further application.

• Advertisement

It's not the DAA's job to sort out transport to/from DUB.

Advertisement