Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just bear in mind that any security changes will likely have the new CT scanners, which have a lot higher throughput than the standard x-ray scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely, not likely. The entire existing setup will have CT scanners before the new one starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

The CT upgrade is due to be completed at some point this year isn't it? They make a noticeable difference to security wait times, they're a great improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Talk on the FB spotting group of a rumour of the a380 in on the 28th of test and trails? Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@Irish Steve I'm certainly not one to stick up for Maggie, but the 3 day week, power cuts etc. Ted Heath was in charge (well, Scargill was in charge really...) Not generally one to stick up for the Greens either but I don't think the events of 50 years ago in another country are all that relevant to our energy policy going forward (but we do need that damn LNG terminal for the medium term)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Connecting all the heavy rail lines to the airport would cost close to 10 Billion!!

And that is just connecting the existing lines, not making the lines high speed or electrifying them, that all would come over 50 billion!

While I’d like to see the airport connected like this some day, unless the EU is willing to pay for it, then frankly we have much more important projects to work on first, Spending close to 10 billion linking heavy rail to the airport when Dublin doesn’t even have a single Metro line is pretty mad and would be very much putting the cart before the horse.

We need to focus on building out a Metro network in Dublin first, along with Dart+ etc. Heavy rail links should be a much lower priority.

In the meantime, Metrolink will nicely connect 3 of the 4 rail lines to the airport with an easy transfer and they could easily connect the fourth line with a relatively cheap extension to Metrolink.

People massively underestimate just how costly it is to build rail lines and electrification and high speed rail (see HS2 in the UK). All the above is covered in the recent All Island Strategic Rail Review for those interested. It has also been discussed in more detail over on the Infrastructure forum.

Does anyone have any idea on when we are likely to see a decision from ABP in relation to the night flights, quota etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I'd imagine it will take a very long time as the application totals around 7,000 pages. Why they didn't submit it in several separate applications isn't totally clear but I'd imagine they were told that infrastructure will need to be expanded prior to the passenger cap increasing to 40m so both will be considered concurrently.

• Advertisement

The night noise quota is a different thing, approved by FCC and going through a third party appeal.

As above pointed out. Completely separate applications. I can’t really see the 40 million infrastructure application taking a long time though as I’d imagine there will be some pressure to get that approved asap as it’s already due to turn away 2million passengers this year because of the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I was referring only to the infrastructure and passenger cap, not the night cap, I should have pointed that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

The I.T. reporter on that piece seems to have a track record which is very critical of aviation, especially at Dublin. Of course it plays to the Green extremists for whom private jsts are a great target. Virtue signalling and gesture politics all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Anyone know why the new runway isn’t in operation at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Low visibility and low cloud base. It's not LVP conditions but they still close the North runway in this weather over a year after it opened. So ridiculously slow to approve it for low visibility operations.

Another inefficiency I notice from 28R is how the ATR's have to follow the prescribed published procedure and can't turn early like on the southern runway. This greatly increases the amount of time a standard jet has to wait to depart behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given that the numbers cap is an absolute farce, they should just increase it to 100,000,000 or so, to be done with the BS... or can the requirement, not be totally scrapped?

Neither would have any chance of getting planning.

Going beyond the current application wouldn't be countenanced until Metrolink is open either.

I’m sure there will be a few more applications to extend it before the metro is actually open. We will probably be talking about terminal 4 and the metro still won’t have been built!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

28L due to close from 11pm to 5am for 4 nights for maintenance works beginning tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Great!. Thousands of North Dubliners can sleep soundly under their warm duvets to-night! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

More like hundreds. There's more people affected by the southern runway 😁.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Metrolink’s Railway Order is currently proceeding through ABP and various contracts for its construction and operation are out for tender. It is at a very advanced state of planning and not far off beginning construction.

It will be open far before a Terminal 3 gets considered.

The issues with the airports passenger cap are giving major support and emphasis to the Metrolink project. It has become key to Dublin Airports and Dublin Cities future.

As an aside, airport developments really need something like the Railway Order process that rails enjoy. Basically the planning skips the local authorities, goes straight to ABP, and largely gets rubber stamped by ABP, because the railway order was actually devised by those with expertise in railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that cap is the ultimate bullshit! if the only way you could get to dublin airport, was by public transport, walking or cycling, they would still want a cap...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A passenger cap on an airport is a nonsense policy. I've said before than I view FCC as one of the more progressive LAs but on the airport there's been a definite shift lately towards the anti noise brigade. Populist nonsense and nothing more.

The same level of abject mental deficiency can be applied to those that blame the DAA for a lack of a rail link. The DAA don't make or partake national land transport policy and nor should they.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I landed from the US this morning and we were given one of the T1 gates.

There were a lot of very confused connecting passengers as there is mixed signage as to where to go for flight connections once you make it back to the T2 area.

Staff on the ground were helpful but replacing or blocking the signs that point to the old transfer location would be a simple fix.

I assume that is closed for good? If not and it is only open on an intermittent basis then some digitals variable signage would be better than the current fixed signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Climate change.

More passengers in the air damages our kids future quicker.

Think of your grandchildren before wanting a cheap weekend in Eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It has nothing to do with climate change. It's based on road infrastructure. So your argument is invalid. However a yearly limit doesn't address daily spikes. In summer you often have over twice as many people flying everyday than in winter. If we had summer traffic levels everyday we'd have over 40 million going through the airport.

Advertisement