Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    even if growth drops back down to 10% for the next few years, that means 36,500,000 pasengers! that means that by the end of 2019, you would be looking at that number! And they are now trying to fob north dublin off with a Luas airport connection, honestly, why bother paying these planners, they are on a fortune and it seems planning, is the last thing they are capable of!

It's not the planners fault. The NTA wanted a proper Metro link to the airport but the bean counters at Finance and PER said no way and to look for something cheaper. That something is now the Luas extension.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    It's looking very likely that Dublin Airport, based on current growth projections, will reach it's 35 million operating capacity by 2020. Therefore shouldn't DAA be looking at getting started on Runway 2 right now? And perhaps even begin planning for Terminal 3?

DAA are already in the planning phase for 28R they just don't do these things publically.

There are plans for a T3 could you imagine the outcry if the DAA announced another "White Elephant" :rolleyes:. Thankfully this one will be west of 16/34.

1st they're going to put some serious money into T1 (longer Piers)and the extension to T2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

longer Piers
    As if the walk wasn't long enough already. gate 113 is a long way away.

DAA are already in the planning phase for 28R they just don't do these things publically.

There are plans for a T3 could you imagine the outcry if the DAA announced another "White Elephant" :rolleyes:. Thankfully this one will be west of 16/34.

1st they're going to put some serious money into T1 (longer Piers)and the extension to T2.

Yeah, just like T2 which the critics say wasn't needed and felt smugly vindicated when traveller numbers at the airport collapsed in 2009.....before massively rebounding. These people seem to think downturns are permanent and lost passenger numbers cannot be recovered. But it's now looking likely that 2015 will see 25 million (or close to it) passengers use the airport. Given the long lead in times for upgrades to the airport it makes sense to be getting these applications in now because at the current rate Dublin Airport will be hitting capacity real soon.

Many, rightly, question T2 as delivered, not the need for additional faciilities at the airport.
    You don't hear them because they get banned on this forum so it is just an echo chamber.

• Advertisement

Many, rightly, question T2 as delivered, not the need for additional faciilities at the airport.
    You don't hear them because they get banned on this forum so it is just an echo chamber.

What was wrong with T2?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As if the walk wasn't long enough already. gate 113 is a long way away.

Really? Using gmap-pedometer.com, from T1 security to the end of that pier is approximately 880m. If a walk of less than 1km is a problem for you then you're probably best off being wheeled around by OCS, in which case the distance shouldn't bother you. Most healthy adults should be able to make that walk in about 15 minutes. 15 minutes is not "a long way away" unless you're spectacularly lazy.

And bear in mind that that's pretty much the furthest possible walk from security to a gate. The vast majority of passengers will walk a much shorter distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Surely, even if they hit anything over 24,500,000 towards the end of year, it's madness not to start work? In fact is it not madness to not get the ball rolling now, when we know numbers will be 25,000,000 or as good as come year end. what's a few hundred thousand passengers here or there in scheme of things?

Surely, even if they hit anything over 24,500,000 towards the end of year, it's madness not to start work? In fact is it not madness to not get the ball rolling now, when we know numbers will be 25,000,000 or as good as come year end. what's a few hundred thousand passengers here or there in scheme of things?

The ball IS rolling though, it's rolling on the quiet, necessary stuff. Yes most of us consider the bricks and mortar and holes in the ground as signs of progress but believe me there are several teams already working on 28R right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Runway aside though, as it stands, security and immigration cannot handle the capacity being talked about. Immigration does not have enough booths (and the hall isn't big enough).

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    Really? Using gmap-pedometer.com, from T1 security to the end of that pier is approximately 880m. If a walk of less than 1km is a problem for you then you're probably best off being wheeled around by OCS, in which case the distance shouldn't bother you. Most healthy adults should be able to make that walk in about 15 minutes. 15 minutes is not "a long way away" unless you're spectacularly lazy.

And bear in mind that that's pretty much the furthest possible walk from security to a gate. The vast majority of passengers will walk a much shorter distance.
    You think 880 metres is a reasonable walk?
    Next flight I will be walking less that 100 metres from entrance of airport terminal to plane and less than 100 metres plane to entrance of airport terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Avada wrote: »
    Runway aside though, as it stands, security and immigration cannot handle the capacity being talked about. Immigration does not have enough booths (and the hall isn't big enough).

Security/Immigration are small issues can be addressed easily. T1 will get new security or second area (can't remember exact plans) and T2 has capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Any predictions when anything will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If you have a problem with the moderation on this forum then I suggest you start a thread in feedback. Sly digs here won't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Really? Using gmap-pedometer.com, from T1 security to the end of that pier is approximately 880m.

There is not much in the difference between T1 security to 113 gate and T2 security to 426 or if your unlucky T2 security to the 300s

Perfectly reasonable. It would take me about 10 mins. There are even travelators for chunks of it if I'm feeling particularly lazy.

I've walked further than that to get a cup of coffee. It's really not that big of a deal.
    Next flight I will be walking less that 100 metres from entrance of airport terminal to plane and less than 100 metres plane to entrance of airport terminal

That's nice. Can you design an airport where 25M+ passengers can do that? And retrofit it into Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waterford's a great airport for that, but the two destinations and less than 2x daily flights are a bit of a drag...

Its not in any way practical to get that setup in an airport the scale of DUB.

Stealthirl wrote: »
    There is not much in the difference between T1 security to 113 gate and T2 security to 426 or if your unlucky T2 security to the 300s

T2 security to 426 is about 550m and T2 security to 310 is about 600m or so. The upstairs-downstairs transitions might add a bit, but not too much.

I'd guess that at peak times most passengers spend more time in the security queue than they do walking to their gate.

Perfectly reasonable. It would take me about 10 mins. There are even travelators for chunks of it if I'm feeling particularly lazy.
    No. It is not reasonable and you can say it is as often as you like but it doesn't make it any more reasonable.
    Only benefit of the long distance between end of T1 pier and security is that because I walk faster than most everybody else on my flight I reach passport control faster than the rest of the people arriving on my flight and have a chance of avoiding queueing.

No. It is not reasonable and you can say it is as often as you like but it doesn't make it any more reasonable.

And you can make a mountain out of a mole hill all you want but it's not that big of a distance.

Out of curiosity, do you drive absolutely everywhere? Or is your objection to walking short distances only applicable inside airports?

• Advertisement

I'd describe the old terminal which Terminal 1 has to arc around as more than a molehill.

I'd describe the old terminal which Terminal 1 has to arc around as more than a molehill.

Well, if you really hate it that much you can avoid flying Ryanair.

or continue flying ryanair and flying in to another equally convenient airport on the Island of Ireland which is what I have done and will continue to do.

or continue flying ryanair and flying in to another equally convenient airport on the Island of Ireland which is what I have done and will continue to do.

There you go then. No need to complain about Dublin's T1! :)

you haven't seen older and less mobile people labouring to travel the distance from airport to terminal?
    You seriously think the layout of Terminal 1 is satisfactory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've mentioned this before, but remember every year you think a new runway will open will be pushed at least 2 - 3 years because of the courts, then the High Court, then Supreme, then Europe. It'll be fought every step of the way... maybe not as hard as Heathrow was, or Stansteds second, but it'll be dragged out for years.

I've mentioned this before, but remember every year you think a new runway will open will be pushed at least 2 - 3 years because of the courts, then the High Court, then Supreme, then Europe. It'll be fought every step of the way... maybe not as hard as Heathrow was, or Stansteds second, but it'll be dragged out for years.

There is already full planning - beyond any court fights - for a second runway. Not quite the one they want, but its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

L1011 wrote: »
    There is already full planning - beyond any court fights - for a second runway. Not quite the one they want, but its there.

Can they build it, then apply for a change in terms, so they can fly out from 6am?

Can they build it, then apply for a change in terms, so they can fly out from 6am?

Yes - but that's not the sole or even the most important thing they want to change. That'd be the "moving it further north" change.

• Advertisement

you haven't seen older and less mobile people labouring to travel the distance from airport to terminal?

As I mentioned above, there are already services throughout Dublin airport for those with reduced mobility. Also most passengers aren't travelling that full distance. Most are moving distances comparable to most other airports of a similar size.
    You seriously think the layout of Terminal 1 is satisfactory?

Well, there's plenty of room for improvement and I wouldn't say it's good but it's certainly satisfactory.

It's hard to see how you'd fit more gates in anywhere closer to T1 security though. Given the space they had to work in they could have done a lot worse.

Advertisement