Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

The existing 10/28 will be extended at both end of the runway to bring it up to around 3000ft I think. 16/34 was to go but I "think" it being retained now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

16/34 is still up in the air (ha), but the most recent plans that I've seen anyway retain it.

Common sense says retain, even if it means a lower capacity on very windy days. Keep some capacity, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

16/34 will be kept, no questions any attempt to get rid will see major fallout

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If 10/28 is to be extended can we expect nice lower approaches at one end?

KoolKid wrote: »

No same touchdown zones the extra length would be used for departures

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ill keep planning for Saint Maartens so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

KoolKid wrote: »

Is that the displaced threshold thing with -> -> -> -> markings for takeoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

I posted this over on SSC but it's worth putting up here as well.

2Fxb9WP.png

This is from a Dublin airport capital investment plan proposed by the DAA last year. It's interesting the proposals for new piers to replace some of the older ones at T1.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2014-05-29%20DAA%20Capital%20Investment%20Proposals.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Interesting. It doesn't look like Rwy 10L will be used for take offs or landings, there are no touch down markers for it. However it may just be the drawing.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Interesting. It doesn't look like Rwy 10L will be used for take offs or landings, there are no touch down markers for it. However it may just be the drawing.

The drawing is still out of date....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That looks very complex in some areas, and the first issue I can see with it is the absence of 16/34, which will be a major issue, especially for the smaller aircraft if the winds are not suitable for operations on the 2 main runways.

I also am forced to wonder how cargo is going to be managed, as we appear to have lost all the cargo stands close to the existing handling facilities. Dragging cargo pallets across to remote stands is never a good idea, even more so if they are not accessible without crossing active taxiways, which appears to be the plan as outlined above.

The most important factor for me is that it has to be being planned ahead of the trigger point, otherwise the end result will be log jam, and lost opportunities, and given the likely changes with IAG looking at Dublin as their "Heathrow terminal 6", there is a clear indication that there will not be any decrease in the usage of Dublin, most likely a significant increase will follow on this change.

The track record on implementing significant infrastructure in Ireland is not good, I just hope that all concerned from both the DAA and the external bodies that are involved are up to the task, and ready to seriously engage with a critical process.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

19.Ireland_Dublin_North_Parallel_Runway_Planning.jpg

The image Shamrock231 posted early in a previous thread (quoted above) is a different plan than Ren2k7 posted today. Do we know which one is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The only difference really is what they decide to do with piers 2 and 3. The development of the former in the design in post #909 would affect 16/34 rendering it unusable, but perhaps an alternative design for the pier can be used.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The only difference really is what they decide to do with piers 2 and 3. The development of the former in the design in post #909 would affect 16/34 rendering it unusable, but perhaps an alternative design for the pier can be used.

Indeed but that's the second design they have carried for 2/3.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Indeed but that's the second design they have carried for 2/3.

I'm sure they can re-examine it - we haven't got to definitive proposals yet.

I'm sure they can re-examine it - we haven't got to definitive proposals yet.

They can but not a lot of options, if they want to keep 16/34 they will have to largely add minimal capacity to 2/3 piers, can't exactly move 16/34.

It will really be a case of scarp crosswind or require T3 sooner and I expect 16/34 to stay!

They can but not a lot of options, if they want to keep 16/34 they will have to largely add minimal capacity to 2/3 piers, can't exactly move 16/34.

It will really be a case of scarp crosswind or require T3 sooner and I expect 16/34 to stay!

Well I would expect it to stay too.

There's not that much extra capacity being added to pier 3 in that drawing - if anything it looks like it's losing a stand! But the plan for pier 2 will have to be cut back

The only real room for expansion is in T2 with the extra pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Well I would expect it to stay too.

There's not that much extra capacity being added to pier 3 in that drawing - if anything it looks like it's losing a stand! But the plan for pier 2 will have to be cut back

The only real room for expansion is in T2 with the extra pier.

Theres another plan somewhere to expand pier b further. That image only shows the b1 expansion. With what I can best describe as a dogleg expansion for b2 adding further gates. I'll go digging for the image in a few minutes.

Avada wrote: »
    Theres another plan somewhere to expand pier b further. That image only shows the b1 expansion. With what I can best describe as a dogleg expansion for b2 adding further gates. I'll go digging for the image in a few minutes.

I know the image but not going to happen with 16/34.

I know the image but not going to happen with 16/34.

Unless I'm going mad, the above image doesn't have 16/34 either

• Advertisement

Unless I'm going mad, the above image doesn't have 16/34 either

Your correct, the other photo has B going out and it looked like a bent L and a slightly smaller A pier.

The main difference in the two photo's is the taxiways off new runway and a much shorter B and slightly bigger A

If 16/34 is being retained - there is very little scope to do anything with piers A and B (2 and 3) in terms of expanding the number of stands available.

Here is the image I was talking about. It's from the Dublin Airport Capital Expenditure Plan 2010 - 2014. I'll attach it as it may be a little big.

If 16/34 is being retained - there is very little scope to do anything with piers A and B (2 and 3) in terms of expanding the number of stands available.

Is there a massive benefit to retaining 16/34? Genuine question because I haven't a clue.

Is there a massive benefit to retaining 16/34? Genuine question because I haven't a clue.

When a strong wind is blowing from the southeast or northwest it can render 10/28 inoperative due to the crosswinds being outside acceptable safety margins.

Therefore I would imagine that it would be worth keeping it as a fall back option.

Otherwise there will be a lot of diversions in those circumstances (far more than currently).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

What are the chances that the option of moveing 16/34 West would happen givein its condition ?
    Runway 16-34 at Dublin Airport is the cross-wind runway for the airport. The runway acts as the
    operational runway during significant cross-wind conditions and as the alternative runway when
    the main runway (10-28) is taken out of service for maintenance. As such Runway 16-34 is a
    critical piece of airport infrastructure, which is essential to accommodate limited aircraft
    movements during cross wind conditions, routine maintenance work and the planned overlay of
    Runway 10-28 in 2016/2017.
    Runway 16-34 was originally constructed in the 1940s and has been extended and upgraded a
    number of times between 1949 and 1999. The latest significant upgrade of this runway in 1999
    extended the life of the runway by a theoretical design life of 15 years. This upgrade is now life
    expired. Since 1999, ad-hoc maintenance works have been carried out to retain the runway in
    service until the overall upgrade of the runway could take place.
    A Pavement Condition survey of Runway 16-34 in 2013 has determined that the condition of the
    pavement has now reached the point where a significant improvement programme will be
    required in order to keep the runway in service. These works include extensive rehabilitation of
    large portions of the runway surface and the repair of elements of runway drainage systems
    which have failed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

45 minute wait for the 122 as the only taxiway to the gate is still closed due to night works. Great planning there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I was actually recently on a flight with SAS and the captain had a bit of a rant over the PA regarding the whole layout of the airport stating that it was "one of the most confusing in Europe" and we'd be delayed due to there being only one runway. He even played the "this is how things are done in Ireland" card :o:D

I don't like the look of a extended walkway over to pier F in T2 in the plan pictured above. It looks like it would just be as long of a walk as it is to the LCC pier in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It's shorter than Pier D or A really in terms of walking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

45 minute wait for the 122 as the only taxiway to the gate is still closed due to night works. Great planning there!

Having suffered this myself I'm no great fan but the works are scheduled to end prior to the scheduled arrival time of the eastbound flights...they can't organise it to take consideration of winds aloft each night!

What is worse is the 45 min delays that can occur due to the bottleneck of the queue for departure on 28 in the early mornings and the flights trying to get into T2...

In relation to the case for retaining 16/34, in the event of winds that render 28 not an option, the only other southerly runways (of similar length) on the island are 17 in Cork and 17 in Aldergrove. Cork is limited to the number of aircraft it could handle in the event of multiple diversions, Belfast less so, but if 16 in Dublin wasn't an option suddenly capacity is an issue. Then we have the inevitable length of time to recover the operation. Then we'd have the thread about why we didn't keep 16 open when we had the chance!

Advertisement