Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

billie1b wrote: »
    Not really irrelevant, FR were pumping aircraft into an airport that had barely enough space, at one stange there was 27 aircraft there with only 16 able to be on contact stands, if anything FR are the cause of Pier D being constructed, no other airline would have pumped as many aircarft into a small space. FR created the demand

Yeah but it's irrelevant to the original point that O'Leary was complaining about the extra money spent during T2 construction, when it actually very much benefited his company. Whether or not FR created the demand is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

billie1b wrote: »
    Not really irrelevant, FR were pumping aircraft into an airport that had barely enough space, at one stange there was 27 aircraft there with only 16 able to be on contact stands, if anything FR are the cause of Pier D being constructed, no other airline would have pumped as many aircarft into a small space. FR created the demand

No, its still irrevant - unless you're trying to claim they shouldn't have to pay for anything

Without T2 Ryanair would be sharing their pier with Aer Lingus and it would be VERY congested, with T2 being there FR have very little delays from their pier for most of the day. Therefore they see massive benefits from something they pay for but don't ever use.

FRs attitude is we should only pay for what we use, which is a very short sighted attitude to have. There again of course FR are going to complain as they want to keep their costs low so they can make more money.

FR will complain about the construction of 28R and it costing them money but you can be damn sure they'll use it and reap the huge benefits of it. Reduction in delays, more on time flights, less track miles flown, fuel savings, increase in slots, more slots when they want them, less delays in low viz, better fleet utilisation as more aircraft are guaranteed to get out on time and will have shorter taxi times so they can reduce flight times etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Any update on the A380 gate that the DAA applied for planning permission some time ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Any update on the A380 gate that the DAA applied for planning permission some time ago?

Nope nothing is happening with 404 yet (if they still intend to use 404), I can't see much happening until the winter season kicks in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Noxegon wrote: »

What would be even better would be for it to be restructured to put the through lane in the middle, so that there's a pavement access for both set down lanes, rather than the insane concept of vehicles trying to get out of lane 1 into lane 3 through the parked traffic in lane 2, and the pedestrians that are also using lane 2. It would also improve the throughput on the road, by getting rid of the parking traffic from the existing middle lane.

Now, if they could only think in 3 dimensions, and move the pedestrian crossing from the departure road at the same time, then the traffic flow would be even better.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Not on site but this a great resource to have in the locality.
    Ryanair plans new simulator at Irish headquarters
    Ryanair plans to build an extension next to its new headquarters in Swords in north county Dublin to house a new fixed-base aircraft simulator.
    continued......

Can't post URL

What would be even better would be for it to be restructured to put the through lane in the middle, so that there's a pavement access for both set down lanes, rather than the insane concept of vehicles trying to get out of lane 1 into lane 3 through the parked traffic in lane 2, and the pedestrians that are also using lane 2. It would also improve the throughput on the road, by getting rid of the parking traffic from the existing middle lane.

Now, if they could only think in 3 dimensions, and move the pedestrian crossing from the departure road at the same time, then the traffic flow would be even better.

Yeah understood that design, how many staff are employed just to keep order and traffic flowing in what should be a relatively straight forward area.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Plans for the Rail link to the airport will be unveiled tomorrow, I really hope it's something that passes through Santry

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coalition-to-unveil-dublin-airport-rail-link-plan-356225.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

737max wrote: »
    Not on site but this a great resource to have in the locality.....

Not sure how this is a "great resource for the locality" It will of course be handy for the flight crew based in DUB and even ORK/SNN/BHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Plans for the Rail link to the airport will be unveiled tomorrow, I really hope it's something that passes through Santry

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coalition-to-unveil-dublin-airport-rail-link-plan-356225.html

Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

737max wrote: »
    Not on site but this a great resource to have in the locality.

Can't post URL
    IIRC they bought the entire building from NAMA but have had a bit of trouble getting people to lease the remainder of it (FR are only in one 'wing' of the building). SanDisk moved in recently but I don't think they use that much space.

Makes business sense to use the remainder of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

N64 wrote: »
    Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option. Please don't be the luas option.
    On Radio 1 this morning they said rail from Dublin City Centre through Drumcondra to the airport and on to Swords.

That sounds like MN to me hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

On Radio 1 this morning they said rail from Dublin City Centre through Drumcondra to the airport and on to Swords.

That sounds like MN to me hopefully!

Don't worry, they'll find some way to cheap out on it. Maybe call it an on-road metro. And of course, there'll be some changes needed which means back to the drawing board so there'll be no progress for another ten years (and three elections).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Don't worry, they'll find some way to cheap out on it. Maybe call it an on-road metro. And of course, there'll be some changes needed which means back to the drawing board so there'll be no progress for another ten years (and three elections).
    Like I have said before, once we dont get duped with some BS cheap Luas option, even if they come up with something new and it gets delayed, lets see them try to foist similar rubbish on us when airport numbers are 30,000,000 and after several more years of economic growth...

My real fear was they would try do so something on the real cheap, while they could. I am interested to see exactly what they have come up with...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just gotta ask, why is the LUAS connection to the airport considered a bad idea? Is it because the LUAS doesn't serve the country as a whole but rather a city instead and everyone is looking for something to connect the airport to the entire country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just gotta ask, why is the LUAS connection to the airport considered a bad idea? Is it because the LUAS doesn't serve the country as a whole but rather a city instead and everyone is looking for something to connect the airport to the entire country?

Some people are taking that tack, but mostly it's about capacity and speed, and also the original plans having the Luas not actually directly arrive at the airport terminals, but 500m away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

It's because the luas wouldn't be segregated and wouldnt have sufficient capacity. So would be slow and packed.

the luas as they proposed, was a joke. huge amounts of on street running, a travelator at the airport, massively under capacity v what is required. Dublin airport should be connected by light rail i.e. luas or metro and heavy rail, the heavy rail connection is actually a cheap project, they should probably build it out to swords also, in addition to light rail IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the luas as they proposed, was a joke. huge amounts of on street running, a travelator at the airport, massively under capacity v what is required. Dublin airport should be connected by light rail i.e. luas or metro and heavy rail, the heavy rail connection is actually a cheap project, they should probably build it out to swords also, in addition to luas IMO...

what about coupling MN with bus? Would that meet the capacity demand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would it not make more sense, given that there is a partial transport network there already, to run a train (or overland light rail) line from the airport over to somewhere between Portmarnock and Clongriffin train stations, or somewhere on the Maynooth line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They should do all 3 in my opinion They all serve different areas.

Dart would of served South and north Dublin, Metro the centre of Dublin passengers and the Luas should be extended out to Swords and would of served alot of workers who work at the airport.

Maybe if I win the euromillions a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

afatbollix wrote: »
    Maybe if I win the euromillions a few times.

you could spend about 10 years planning it, having drawings drafted before you finally run out of money and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

you could spend about 10 years planning it, having drawings drafted before you finally run out of money and give up.
    Or spend 5 years designing it and getting full planning, Waiting 5 years and then redesigning it and waiting another 5 years before building it... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So, in the end, it was nothing.

They're not even committing to building the Shortsighted Optimised Metro North.

The only good we can take from this is that, hopefully, all the Luas extension proposals will die away in the meantime.

So, in the end, it was nothing.

They're not even committing to building the Shortsighted Optimised Metro North.

The only good we can take from this is that, hopefully, all the Luas extension proposals will die away in the meantime.

ok the way I see it, its looks like we have been spared the luas, but will have to wait AGAIN! I agree about the shortsighted optimised metro, MNR or metro north revised, was actually pocket change cheaper in the scheme of things. At this stage, if they are going down the MN route, simply build MN, forget about changing the plans and all that is involved, it is inferior and the savings are pocket change in the scheme of things...

I suppose at scant consolation we have the PPT reopening soon, luas cross city and the improved signalling, allowing more trains. A step in the right direction at least, a Dart can also be run to Dublin airport via clongriffin for very little, IMO this should be done as a temporary measure, then extend it out to swords at a later stage possibly...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Think there's more chance of T3 being built at Dublin airport before New Metro North even gets a sod turned!!!! Are we that bad 5/6 years before construction could start on MN me thinks the transport minister is waffling to quote Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Can't understand why they don't do the quick option ! Dart spur from Clongriffin ! Was quoted at 200million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't understand why they don't do the quick option ! Dart spur from Clongriffin ! Was quoted at 200million

Slow and unsuitable capacity wise, and only served the airport. Irish Rail vanity project rather than a practical option

Advertisement