Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I disagree, nobody said it should replace metro north. But it's relatively cheap and heavy rail will end up out there at at some stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I found myself inevitably reminded of Transport 21, which promised a lot and specifically didn't deliver on much stuff in the GDA. I came across a useful summary here
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/167484-transport21-finished-apparently.html#post4202881

it seems that the 10 year plan lasted 5 years and delivered approximately 30-40% of what was promised.

So what did we get out of it:

-completion of the Dublin-Regions motorway network
    -The Middleton-Kent commuter service
    -The western Rale Corridor, phase 1
    -2 sections of the Atlantic Road Corridor
    -The Waterford Bypass
    -Luas A1,B1 and C1
    -a few extra buses in the cities
    -The delivery of a brand new intercity train fleet
    -upgrades to Dublin-Cork line
    -Dublin Airoprt T2
    -M50 upgrade
    -a large amount of bypasses and replacements of smaller roads(non motorway)

it's worth noting that some of the above came way behind time.

Partially Completed:
    -integrated ticketing
    -electronic bus timetables.
    -Heuston-Kildare Quad tracking.

What didn't we get(or have yet to get):
    -luas BX (originally due for completion in 2008)
    -luas D (due in 2012)
    -Metro North(due in 2012)
    -Metro West, Phase 1(due in 2010)
    -Metro West, Phase 2(due in 2012)
    -Metro Wast, Phase 3(due in 2013)
    -Dart Underground (due in 2015)
    -Electrification and subsequent abolishment of Dublin Commuter service(due in 2015)
    -Lucan Luas (due in 2013)
    -Western Rail Corridor, Phase 2(due 2013)
    -Navan DART extension (due in 2015)
    -Luas B2 to Bray(due in 2015)
    -Galway commuter line and double tracking (ambiguous completion date)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/651668036773126144?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

hopefully we make it to a group 1 airport by year end, i.e. 25,000,000 plus, will come down to the wire!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/651668036773126144?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

hopefully we make it to a group 1 airport by year end, i.e. 25,000,000 plus, will come down to the wire!

It'll be closer to 24 than 25 I feel but the longer Ireland stays in the RWC it'll help fill those seats. If it doesn't happen this year it'll definitely happen in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ireland stays in the RWC it'll help fill those seats.

That'd be fairly marginal though wouldn't it?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That'd be fairly marginal though wouldn't it?

Get to a semi and you're there till the last weekend playing in the 3rd-4th playoff. Beat France and you get Argentina who will tire as the tournament goes on. Joe really has to get it in their heads to want it !

Anyway extra games equals extra flights. Especially as we've never been to a semi so many WILL want to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Departures board in the departures hall in T1 is to be removed :( i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

andy_g wrote: »
    Departures board in the departures hall in T1 is to be removed :( i like it

Hmm, it does seem a little dated though...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Like the one in Connolly of old, that deserves listing not replacing.

It's only 10 years old but they've decided to go with smaller 52in twin monitors by each block of check in desks.

• Advertisement

It is but its the personality of t1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Even though it's only 10 years old I'd like to see them hang onto it for future use in a museum/exhibit about the airport. 25 years from now the airport will be 100 years old and something like that would look archaic to youngsters of that time.

I can understand why they're taking it down, no one even looks at it anymore and it's removal should make the check in hall seem more spacious and airy.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Even though it's only 10 years old I'd like to see them hang onto it for future use in a museum/exhibit about the airport. 25 years from now the airport will be 100 years old and something like that would look archaic to youngsters of that time.

I can understand why they're taking it down, no one even looks at it anymore and it's removal should make the check in hall seem more spacious and airy.
    The staff still use it pax still use it hell i still use it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm astounded its only ten years old, actually. RTÉ's stock footage on it today must have been almost as old as it had a Galway flight on it!

Its more obvious than the modern displays, despite them being near everywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »

Its more obvious than the modern displays, despite them being near everywhere.
    I think so too. Easily visible whereas the new 52" displays are harder to locate and you need to get close (other pax can block them too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Tenger wrote: »
    I think so too. Easily visible whereas the new 52" displays are harder to locate and you need to get close (other pax can block them too)

I'm guessing that's the point. While I like the existing display, it does encourage passengers to congregate in a thoroughfare on that floor. Having lots of smaller displays spreads out the crowds and keeps them to the sides.

I'm guessing what really brought about its demise is just that it looks old.

Tenger wrote: »

Fully agree, surely there's a wall it could be put to back up against, problem I found with its current location is that it's too close to the entrance and you have to stop and look up blocking others.

It's so much easier to look at a big obvious board than trying to look through others at a smaller display.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I suspect that there's a more specific issue, which is the ongoing compatibility with the computer systems, I would be guessing that the interface is very much a one off, and probably not at all friendly to modern computer systems, so interfacing it to the newer technology is probably becoming more difficult as time goes on.

It's also seriously heavy, (4.5 tonnes,) and I am going to hazard a guess that it uses a LOT of power to run it, and it could well be that finding spares to keep it operational is also probably becoming more difficult

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

andy_g wrote: »
    The staff still use it pax still use it hell i still use it!!

Most pax never notice it and just ask staff instead (who then use it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

lord lucan wrote: »
    no one even looks at it anymore and it's removal should make the check in hall seem more spacious and airy.

When departing T1, upon entering the check in hall, it's the first thing I look at to see where my bag drop is.
    It's every flight on 1 interface, and not just a screen toggling from page 1 to page 2 and back again.

I like it, I think it should be kept, it's the type of thing that in 10, 15, 30 years, they'll wish they never removed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Avada wrote: »
    Most pax never notice it and just ask staff instead (who then use it!).

Would that be true though? I don't think i've ever asked a ground staff for check in desk directions if a monitor clearly stated it. I'd expect it would be only a very infrequent flyer type that might possibly do that - granny visiting the emigrants in Luton etc. I'm guessing frequenters of this forum would be least likely to ask for such assistance! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ongarboy wrote: »
    Would that be true though? I don't think i've ever asked a ground staff for check in desk directions if a monitor clearly stated it. I'd expect it would be only a very infrequent flyer type that might possibly do that - granny visiting the emigrants in Luton etc. I'm guessing frequenters of this forum would be least likely to ask for such assistance! :)

Every bloody day!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

When departing T1, upon entering the check in hall, it's the first thing I look at to see where my bag drop is.
    It's every flight on 1 interface, and not just a screen toggling from page 1 to page 2 and back again.

I like it, I think it should be kept, it's the type of thing that in 10, 15, 30 years, they'll wish they never removed it.

I doubt it. The way technology is going most people will be finding all the information they need on their personal devices before they enter the terminal within 5 years, never mind 30.

I doubt it. The way technology is going most people will be finding all the information they need on their personal devices before they enter the terminal within 5 years, never mind 30.

I agree, completely, and it wouldn't ever be needed again for what it actually does, which is display information.
    I'm more so talking from an artistic point of view, in the future, items like this will hold a special place for a lot of people, and I would say people of the future would appreciate seeing something like this kept functioning.

some times a touch of nostalgia in a room/hall full of tech can be a good thing.

look at old clocks/boards etc in big old train stations around Europe..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I agree, completely, and it wouldn't ever be needed again for what it actually does, which is display information.
    I'm more so talking from an artistic point of view, in the future, items like this will hold a special place for a lot of people, and I would say people of the future would appreciate seeing something like this kept functioning.

some times a touch of nostalgia in a room/hall full of tech can be a good thing.

look at old clocks/boards etc in big old train stations around Europe..

I can see where you're coming from, but those clocks and boards around Europe are usually decades old and have genuine historical value. I personally don't think this, only being there 10 years, falls into the same category.

maybe its the block font letters, just something very official looking about it that I like.

either way, the decision it would appear has been made.

I will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Currently sitting in Madrid airport and my phone told me my flight was delayed before I even checked the screens. The only thing delaying what you describe is universal adoption of the online process. The technology is there and applied by Google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Currently sitting in Madrid airport and my phone told me my flight was delayed before I even checked the screens. The only thing delaying what you describe is universal adoption of the online process. The technology is there and applied by Google!

Thing is they need to ensure the accuracy of the updates online. Saw someone miss their flight in Mumbai lounge. He phone said flight was delayed but screen said boarding then fight closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

i like the big screen in Brussels Airport it is still an old style where the characters rotate around like a rollerdex, you have to appreciate the vintage technology

I have tried to use TripIT to move to the modern age of getting a phone notification and gate changes etc... but i also find it too slow. Sometimes sitting on the plane when the notification arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

eusap wrote: »
    i like the big screen in Brussels Airport it is still an old style where the characters rotate around like a rollerdex, you have to appreciate the vintage technology

Yes! I love those. I'm sure I've seen one in one of the German airports too...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement