Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Thing is they need to ensure the accuracy of the updates online. Saw someone miss their flight in Mumbai lounge. He phone said flight was delayed but screen said boarding then fight closed.

I've found the apps, SMS systems etc useful and accurate in case of disruption but useless for normal flights.

I've had emails and texts from United about delays a quarter of an hour before the screen updated in YUL but also had apps show planes as not departed even though they have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fortunately with most Ryanair and Aer Lingus flights to the UK and Europe going Dublin - Destination - Dublin, the absolute best way of seeing what is happening is to log onto Flightradar and see where the incoming plane is... chances are it will be your one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Fortunately with most Ryanair and Aer Lingus flights to the UK and Europe going Dublin - Destination - Dublin, the absolute best way of seeing what is happening is to log onto Flightradar and see where the incoming plane is... chances are it will be your one!

It's even easier to check when your plane is arriving if you are flying from Dublin with BA, AF, LH, Flybe, CityJet, Etihad, Emirates, the US carriers and so on, as that plane will almost certainly be coming from your destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The Dublin Airport app is actually very good for flight info. Usually matches up pretty accurately with the airports computer systems I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Avada wrote: »
    The Dublin Airport app is actually very good for flight info. Usually matches up pretty accurately with the airports computer systems I find.

App is based on airport updates which departure/arrival boards get within the terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

The Dublin Airport app is one of the best airport apps I've used. One good advantage of it is that you can see your gate from 2 hours in advance rather than 1 hour (I think) on the screens at the airport.

VG31 wrote: »
    The Dublin Airport app is one of the best airport apps I've used. One good advantage of it is that you can see your gate from 2 hours in advance rather than 1 hour (I think) on the screens at the airport.

Yeah it's very good. One small bug in it which annoys me but I keep on forgetting to email them about - if you don't remove a saved flight from your favourites on that day, you can't remove it, you get an error. Apart from that it's great.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    App is based on airport updates which departure/arrival boards get within the terminal.

Yeah it uses the same data as AOS and TARGIT. Really very good app.

Yeah it's very good. One small bug in it which annoys me but I keep on forgetting to email them about - if you don't remove a saved flight from your favourites on that day, you can't remove it, you get an error. Apart from that it's great.

Yeah it uses the same data as AOS and TARGIT. Really very good app.

Did you try swiping left or right on the flight, I eventually deleted mine after 6 months.

Did you try swiping left or right on the flight, I eventually deleted mine after 6 months.

Yup. I get an error every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Any update on the A380 stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Brilliant, had a number of old flights cluttering up up the ap and swiping from the left got rid of them. Cheers GVHOT.

Yup. I get an error every time.

Did you uninstall and reinstall ?

Did you uninstall and reinstall ?

Yup. It removes them, doesn't fix the problem though.

Yup. It removes them, doesn't fix the problem though.

Best to email them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

I was going through the airport and saw the Emirates SkyCargo logo on one of the cargo buildings, how long has that been there?

Just over 2.3 million passengers passed through Dublin Airport in September, which was a 14% increase on the same period last year. Th growth in passenger numbers made last month the busiest September in Dublin Airport's 75 year history. Passenger numbers to and from continental Europe increased by 14%, with just over 1.2 million passengers travelling to European destinations during the month. About 750,000 passengers travelled to UK destinations in September, which was a 14% increase on the same month last year. Transatlantic traffic to North America increased by 16% in September, with almost 275,000 passengers travelling on this route sector last month. About 68,000 passengers travelled to the Middle East and North Africa, which was 14% more than during last September. The number of passengers taking domestic flights increased by 21%, with 8,000 people travelling on domestic routes last month. Overall passenger numbers are up 15% so far this year, as almost 19.2 million passengers have travelled through Dublin Airport in the nine months to the end of September. More than 2.5 million extra passengers have been welcomed at Dublin Airport this year, with strong growth across all major sectors of the market.

With zero growth for the remaining 3 months the total would be approx 23.6 million a record for Dublin, with 15% growth it would be 24.3 million for the year. Extra flights for the Rugby World Cup should give a minimum 15% growth for October.

With extra seats already announced by Ryanair and Aer Lingus, and with more TA announcements due from EI plus two new routes from Cityjet continued growth through 2016 looks guaranteed.

The trigger will well and truly be met in the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

With zero growth for the remaining 3 months the total would be approx 23.6 million a record for Dublin, with 15% growth it would be 24.3 million for the year.
    I think it’s worth recalling that DUB is achieving a remarkable amount with the infrastructure it has. If we go back to that list of the fastest growing airports, DUB has the shortest runway of any top-performing Group 2 (or even Group 3) airport. No other Group 2 airport is functioning with this kind of limitation.

Fastest growing Group 2 Airports (10 to 25 million passengers), sorted by 2014 passengers

SAW (Istanbul) 23,508,141 passengers in 2014, 3,000m runway with a 3,500m runway opening in 2017
    DUB (Dublin) 21,712,173 passengers in 2014, 2,637m runway
    ATH (Athens) 15,196,369 passengers in 2014, 4,000m runway
    ESB (Ankara) 11,012,119 passengers in 2014, 3,750 runway
    ADB (Izmir) 10,936,772 passengers in 2014, 3,240m runway

Fastest growing Group 3 Airports (3 to 10 million passengers), sorted by 2014 passengers

STR (Stuttgart) 9.728.710 passengers in 2014, 3,345m runway
    BUD (Budapest) 9,155,961 passengers in 2014, 3,707m runway
    GLA (Glasgow) 7,715,988 passengers in 2014, 2,665m runway
    OPO (Porto) 6,932,756 passengers in 2014, 3,480m runway
    GOT (Gothenburg) 5,216,011 passengers in 2014, 3,299m runway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How much does DUB's runway actually restrict operations? It has minimal effect! Emirates are likely to operate an A380 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

Carnacalla wrote: »
    How much does DUB's runway actually restrict operations? It has minimal effect! Emirates are likely to operate an A380 next year.

I remember cargo being offloaded from A330's going to San Francisco a couple of times last summer.

Not a common occurrence with our weather, but we should at least be able to get an a330 out with a decent load on a warm day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It was a factor in the loss of the Singapore freight 744 operation, as they couldn't get out of Dublin with a full load and fuel for the return trip.
    It's also a factor in the longest routes from Dublin, we don't have ultra long haul routes at present, and there are issues around the capability to operate such routes with the present runway length. Dubai with a 380 is nowhere near the maximum range for that aircraft, so even with a full load of passengers, getting out of Dublin is not as such a huge issues, it might be an issue with full cargo as well, (I don't have the performance figures to check it out) but somewhere like Hong Kong, or Singapore, or Bejing would be more difficult with a large cargo load as well for pretty much any long haul aircraft. It should have been longer, but the Shannon lobby had to be appeased, so it was compromised from day 1.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Besides the direct impact of cargo loads on warm light winded summer days, the main impact for an airline is their ability to derate the power for takeoff and prolong the life of the engines. This would mainly affect Aer Lingus heavies as they would be the ones with the most rotations through Dublin. I'm not sure how often this has an impact maybe Professor Plum might know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Dubai with a 380 is nowhere near the maximum range for that aircraft
    It might be worth saying the A380 needs less runway than a 747, but as you say that's not to say that operational limits don't apply. The simple fact is that all the other top-performing airports in DUB's class have longer runways; even all the top-performing airports in the smaller Group 3 category have longer runways.

Maybe they're wasting their time and money; but DUB is the exception, based on the facts.
    the Shannon lobby had to be appeased
    In retrospect, they were remarkably open in their demands.
    State Guarantees Act, 1954 (Amendment of Schedule) Order, 1987: Motion.
    Friday, 4 December 1987

Mr. D. O'Malley: Will the Minister convey to Aer Lingus the view that even if an 8,650 foot runway at Dublin is sufficient to enable a trans-Atlantic service to be operated to and from Dublin, the Government will not tolerate that and that the present situation where there is compulsory landing in Shannon will continue into the next century?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Probably a dumb question, but do yis reckon Aer Lingus might invest in bigger aircraft if a longer runway was built for their longer-haul destinations like SFO?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MJohnston wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question, but do yis reckon Aer Lingus might invest in bigger aircraft if a longer runway was built for their longer-haul destinations like SFO?
    IMO they adequately serve SFO with the A330-300

Aer Lingus prefer frequency to size as it's cheaper.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Aer Lingus prefer frequency to size as it's cheaper.

The DUB-SFO flights I've been on have been fairly well packed and judging by the amounts of seats left on my next flight out that will be fairly full too. I doubt it's enough to warrant a frequency increase but a few extra seats could very well be filled.

Short of an A350 delivery I can't see that happening any time soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Well its official. Its only getting bussier. In fact its never been busier. All those recession dooms day merchants giving out about the waste of the new terminal have been proven to talk shiote.

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-10-13/Passenger_Numbers_Up_14_In_September.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

They don't,it's a disaster with the -300,they can't take a profitable cargo load, they operated it during the winter when -200s were in maintenance.the new A330-300s are Increased Gross Weight which would suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It might be adequate, but I guarantee you they could fill a slightly bigger plane with just 4-6 extra business class seats, on that route at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It might be adequate, but I guarantee you they could fill a slightly bigger plane with just 4-6 extra business class seats, on that route at least.

Unless bigger aircraft suited at least 5 routes in the Aer Lingus fleet, it wouldn't be suitable to bring larger aircraft in. There's a reason that alot of airlines have a common fleet. Eg Aer Lingus only A320's and A330's (B757's on lease).
    Ryanair only 737-800's.
    Easy jet only A320 family.
    Wizz Air only A320 family... It goes on.

Maintenance costs increase per fleet group as well as training for staff etc.

Advertisement